icon

amplifier stays on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
norrod 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all, I have a problem here that I don't have a clue anymore what might be the reason. I have JDM Integra which is almost the same as the USDM RSX-S. I have the Pioneer 3200BT head unit installed along with a Hifonics Brutus 1210d Amp. I have had this setup for more than 2 years without any problems. But lately my car battery started dying at least twice a week. I thought it might be a bad battery but then I noticed that the Amp remote where you level the bass it stays on and so is the Amp. The amp has a blue light coming from the lettering on the amp case but those lights are off. It's the little power green light long with the remote that stays on. I also have a Clifford Intelliguard alarm system installed. I even check that maybe the alarm was setup in a way to keep the aux or amp on but nothing. I hope anyone can help me. The only solution I have at the moment is to take out the amp main fuse.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Just add a simple switch to turn the amp off. It will only cost a a few bucks. Or you can take the set up into a good shop and pay out money to figure out what the issue with the amp is.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
check the power terminal on the amp to make sure there are no tiny pieces of wire hanging out of one of the terminals and possibly touching other terminals. this could keep the amp on but not allow the amp to fully turn on and light up.
also make sure everything is neat with the radio's wiring so none of the wires are exposed and touching other wires.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the remote wire from the amp, does it turn off?
diggyd357 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
Yeh, check what he said.....if it turns of by removing the remote wire, youve got a bad remote coming from the head unit. Just run a wire from the fusebox , like from a fuse that controls something like your cigarette lighter so the amp will turn on when the car turns on and off when the car turns off. Just dont wire it to something like your headlights....then it will only turn the amp on when your headlights are on...lol...
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Removing the remote wire is only going to tell us if their is a problem with the amplifier. Do not run any wires, just let us know if the amp turns off when the remote wire is removed.
b_real45 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

wouldn't the amp still stay on if it was a bad remote wire?  Wouldn't it stay on if the remote wire was removed (unless something faulty with amp)?

Rob
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
The first order of troubleshooting this problem is to see if the problem lies within the amplifier, or whether it is being told to stay on by a remote wire that has constant power applied to it. If the amp turns off, then he needs to see where the remote is connected at the front of the vehicle. If the amp does not turn off when the remote wire is removed, there is a problem with the amp or as earlier stated, possibly a stray strand of wire at the amp.
norrod 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all, thanks for you replies.. I haven't been able to post back in the weekend because I was abroad for work. There are a few things that I forgot to mention last time.

I noticed that the amp comes on after a while when I activate my car alarm or sometimes even if I lock the doors manually with the key... The timeframe exactly when it comes on after I lock up I don't know. I started thinking that it might be my alarm system messing with it but when I lock the doors manually with the key... the alarm is not active.

I did what you guys suggested I removed the the blue remote wire from the amp... it shuts of right away. I ran the wire last week and i didn't notice anything wrong with it. It is still brand new as I installed it last year. I really have no clueee what's happening here. Putting a switch is not a bad idea but it does not solve my problem. It wasn't like that so something must be wrong. And you know once in a while you forget to turn it off, bamm... battery dead again. And i already have a switch in place fooling the head unit when I want to watch dvd's on the road.

i am an idiot 
Posted: March 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Is the remote wire connected to the blue/white wire of your aftermarket DVD deck?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic