icon

car starter and bypass module?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kennyd. 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, I'd like to install a car starter for my 2003 dogde caravan, but I realized that I will also need a bypass module? So i bought a code alarm ca6552 and a fortin evo-all module. This module does everything not jus the bypass.
I have a few questions, maybe someone can help me or give some advice. I've done my research and I found the wiring diagrams for my car and got all the nessessary relays and resistors. I've read the intructions manual for the bypass module, and it is easy enough to understand, but I was stummped with what I have to do with the carstarter/alarm wiring in the car, as I also read the manual?
Both the car starter and my by pass module have wires for door locks, and trunk release. The bypass module shows that I connect the door lock wires to the car starter/alarm wires, so does that mean I install those car starter wires to the vehicle??.
I also have three wires from my car starter/alarm I dont' quite understand where to install these wires?.
INSTANT TRIGGER INPUT (-)
EXTERNAT START INPUT (-)
NEUTRAL SAFETY INPUT (-)
Can someone tell me what these wire mean? And where I can find them in my car so i can make all the connections needed.
Thanks for reading my post!
Any help will be greatly apperciated
Thanks again guys
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

A standard EVO-ALL, as flashed at the factory, comes set for Fortins' DataLink D2D.  The CA6552 appears to only go DBI D2D.  ( I could

be wrong as I am not a CodeAlarm user.  Just going by the install guide. )   Unless you have the Fortin FlashLink programmer, you will have
to connect the EVO-ALL to the CA6552 in the W2W method.

You will have to make all the connections shown in dashed and solid lines between the EVO-ALL and the CA6552.  Notice the Connection 3

diagram on Page 8 of the EVO-ALL install guide.  The 20 Pin connector has markings at each wire indicating the expected polarity and
if the signal is an input to the EVO-ALL or an output leaving the EVO-ALL.  For your 2003 Caravan application the only wires not supported
are the Sliding Door inputs ( as per the chart on Page 4 ).  So to answer one of your questions, the CA6552 door lock outputs would only
be connected to the EVO-ALL.  The EVO-ALL will take that signal and handle the door locks thru a Data connection directly to the Caravan.
Basically, if the EVO-ALL is handling that function, no connection from the CA6552 to the Caravan is needed.

Only one relay and resistor is needed as shown in the Connection 3 diagram.  You will have to program the CA6552 for

IGN2 output wire = Start/Crank to get the (+) Starter2 signal for the relay.

The Parking Lights can be handled by using the CA6552's built in Parking Light relay.  On the 4 Pin Main Harness, connect the WHITE/ Red

wire to chassis ground thru a 2K ohm resistor.  Connect the White wire to the Caravans' WHITE/ Brown Parking Light wire.

The CA6552 will also have to be connected to the Brake(+) wire in the Caravan and the Hood pin will have to be installed and

connected.

The Instant Trigger is used for alarm purposes.  Not needed in your basic install.

The External Start can be used to initiate a remote start.  You will normally do this with your remotes.
The Neutral Safety has to see a ground input to allow  remote start.  If your Caravan has an automatic trans, connect this to the EBrake(-)
wire or chassis ground.

Soldering is fun!
kennyd. 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks kreg for the help.
So I only connect the necessary wire from connection 3 from the fortin instruction.
You said that I only need a relay for the starter. So I dont need any more relys for the trunk release door locks and parking lights?
I've been searching for wire diagrams for my caravan and I read that I need relays for the parking light door lock unlock and trunk release? So the fortin evo-all has built in relays so I dont' need to buy any extra relays and sockets. And the ca6552 has a built in relay for parking lights is this correct because it doesn't mention it in the instructions?
The external start wire where do I connect this wire?
Also the Neutral Safety      I read in the wiring diagrams are: WHITE/ LT GREEN     PIN 9 OF 34 PIN CONNECTOR AT BCM would this be alright to connect instead of the EBrake (-)?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

The EVO-ALL does a lot for you, as it should for $70.  While it is possible to do the vehicle with a spare key, a universal bypass,

four relays, three fuse holders and fuses, and 5 assorted resistors, the cost v.s. time difference just doesn't make sense.

As mentioned, instead of the CA6552 directly controlling the door locks and rear hatch release with the required relays and

resistors connected directly to the vehicle, the CA6552 sends its' standard (-) output control signals to the EVO-ALL.  The EVO-ALL
does not have internal relays but converts this signal to "Data" or the proper analog signal and passes it to the vehicle.   Also note
that any (-) signal input to the EVO-ALL on the Purple or PURPLE / White input wires will do two things.  A (-) pulse to the Purple wire
will Lock the vehicle AND arm the Factory Alarm, if present.  If you don't a Caravan equipped with the Factory Alarm, it just locks
the doors.

While I'm not a CodeAlarm trained tech, and the CA6552 install manual does not specifically mention a built in Parking Light relay,

from the wiring description and its' 15A rating, it would appear that the White wire is Pin 30 and the WHITE/ Red wire is Pin 87 on
a SPST relay.

The CA6552 External Start input wire is not used in a typical install.  During normal system operation, you will always use the CA6552

remote FOB's to control the system, including a remote start.  It could be used to test the remote start function during install.  A single
ground pulse will initiate a remote start if the hood is closed and the brake pedal is not depressed.

The CA6552s' Neutral Safety wire should go to a vehicle wire that only shows chassis ground (-) while the vehicle is in Park

( or neutral ).  You can test and verify the BCM wire you mentioned with a DMM and if it acts correctly, it would be ideal as a
Neutral Safety Input.  Most newer vehicles can not start in any gear other than Park or Neutral.  This factory safety would also
apply to a "remote start".  Often times finding this vehicle Neutral Safety wire is difficult so after verifying the built in factory safety,
most installers just connect to the eBrake or chassis ground ( on auto trans vehicles ).  Installing a simple ON/OFF switch into this
wire provides a quick remote start disable that can be used during vehicle maintenance, etc.

Soldering is fun!
kennyd. 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Great so I don't need the extra relay for the door locks. Everything else seems to be straight forward, thanks for clearing things up for me kreg.
As for the parking lights I'm assuming that this will have to be relayed throught the parking light switch for easier access to the wires, I've also read from another post here in this fourm that it is a resistored park light system, the ca6552 doesn't mention much about in its manual and as well as the evo-all manual. So I'm guessing that I have to follow this step....
"This Vehicle Has A Resistored Park Light System.The WHITE/ BROWN Wire Must Be Cut And A relay And Resister Must Be Used. Pin 85 To Ground Pin 86 To The WHITE Wire Of The Alarm.Pin 87A Switch Side Of WHITE/ BROWN Wire,Pin 30 BCM Side Of WHITE/ BROWN Wire. Pin 87 To One Side Of A 5.8k Ohm Resistor,The Other Side Of The Resistor To Ground. There Is A WHT/DK.BRN In The Rear Harness (Driver Kick) That Is A Pos 12v To The Tag Lights.: Door Lock/Unlock Wire Located On The Third Connector Up From The Bottom."
Is this correct can I follow this procedure?? I read it from this forum in a different post!
I also have another diagram that has me stumped it describes....
Parking light wire (white) to resistor 2000 ohm (2k) connects to 87 on the relay,
86 connects to constant 12v (fused at 10amps)
85 connects to parking light output (CA6552 parking light wire)
30 connects to ground
Will this work?
Whats the easiest way of approaching this? I'm confused with the resistors used and different pin of the relays and where they are connected to..
Thank you so much for you time, advice and patience kreg.
I really really appreciate your help!
I want to get everything ready and all setup, as I'd like to install it next week.
Just trying to gather all the information/ advice I need, to tackle this job.
kreg357 
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

The CA 6552 is a system produced to be generic and flexible enough to integrate into many different vehicles.  Figuring out

exactly how to do that is left to the professional installer.

There is some difference of opinion on the correct way to wire the Parking Light circuit for this vehicle.  The DEI wiring info

has this advice : 

The parking lights are negative trigger thru a 2.1K ohm resistor. There is a rest resistance on the wire, so MUST use a relay

to isolate away from the switch. See directfax document #1082 for wiring information

Here is a link to Tip 1082 :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=616

Bulldog Security does it basically the way I suggested previously (using the CA6552s' internal SPST relay).  Here is a link to their

diagram :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/26500_CARAVAN_CHRYSLER%20PARKING%20LIGHT%20DIAGRAM.pdf
The relay shown can be the CA6552 internal relay with the White wire being Pin 30 and the WHITE/ Red being Pin 87.  ( Pins 85 and
86 are internally controlled by the CA6552.)

Audiovox has the same suggestion as Bulldog Security and lists two possible resistor values, 5.3k and 2.1k ohms.

I have done it both ways ( direct and switch isolation ) on various Chrysler products with no issues.  So the choice is yours.

The easiest way is the one suggested in my earlier post. 

"The Parking Lights can be handled by using the CA6552's built in Parking Light relay.  On the 4 Pin Main Harness, connect the WHITE/ Red
wire to chassis ground thru a 2K ohm resistor.  Connect the White wire to the Caravans' WHITE/ Brown Parking Light wire."

If you like soldering, external relays and want Headlight Switch isolation, set the CA6552 for a (-) Parking Light output and

wire up a relay as per the DEI Tip 1082 diagram.   If you want to use an external relay and follow the Bulldog Security diagram,
thats OK too. 

As you are finding out, there are many ways to achieve the working, finished product.

Soldering is fun!
kennyd. 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks kreg for clearing thing up. I'll give it a shot! I'll post back in a couple of days, on what I have accomplished. And an overview on what I've done aswell. Talk to you soon.
kennyd. 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry one more thing.
The extra relays that I have to install was unexpected!
Jus to revirew.
I have 2 relays to install
1st the starter relay.
Kreg is bulldogsecurity diagram also the one I should refer to to install the relay for the starter #2 that includes a 180 ohm resistor?
And 2nd the parking light relays. Door lock are already controled the evo-all so i dont have to worry about those, jus connect the wires.
If I run to any trouble I'm post it here.
kreg357 
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

I would use the EVO-ALL Connection 3 diagram for the Starter2/MUX relay connections.  You will have to change the programming in the CA6552 to support a Starter2 (+) output.

I think I would try doing the Parking Lights with just the CA6552 (internal relay) Parking Light wires (White & WHITE/ Red) and the 2K ohm resistor as previously mentioned and displayed again below.

"The Parking Lights can be handled by using the CA6552's built in Parking Light relay. On the 4 Pin Main Harness, connect the WHITE/ Red

wire to chassis ground thru a 2K ohm resistor. Connect the White wire to the Caravans' WHITE/ Brown Parking Light wire."

If that does not work, then an external relay wired up in the DEI fashion would be the next logical try.

Soldering is fun!
kennyd. 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2012 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so looking at the fortin instalation manual using connection 3 diagram for my caravan. It shows me a 20 pin connector, I'm only supposed to use 9 wires.
-one tach wire, which i connect to my car starter
- Trunk release connects to car starter
-lock wire to car starter
-unlock to car starter
-door status to car starter
J1850 wire connects to vehicle
Analog door lock wire connects to vehicle
Dark Blue wire while runninng......???
What is this wire?, where do I connect this wire on the vehicle?
And also three wires to the ignition connector, It says to connect the start, ignition and start 2 from the car starter with a relay to the ignition connector of the vehicle.
What are thses wires for my ca6552 carstarter?
Is it ignition 1 and Ignition 2 wires? I'm confused here what other wires do i use here?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic