the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

soundstream amps/audiobahn subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
That PPI amp would still be underpowering your subs if you just had 1 amp. The amp is rated at 125 x 2 @ 4ohms, which is what you should be concerned with. You don't need to worry about the rating @ 2ohms since it is stereo (2 channels) and you have 4ohm SVC's and not 2ohm SVC's. And you also don't need to worry about the rating bridged since wired in parallel you would produce a 2ohm x 1 load, and the amp is only stable to 4ohms x 1.
Now if you had 2 of those PPI's, then you could run 1 sub per amp, bridged @ 4ohms. You would get apx 500watts to each sub, but would still be underpowering them.
Best rule of thumb is to match the total RMS rating of the amp to the total RMS rating of your subs. In your case, you have two 600RMS subs. As bberman1 said earlier, your best bet is an amp that produces either 1200 x 1 @ 2ohms, or 600 x 2 @ 4ohms.
Given the choices you have laid out, I'd suggest going with the Legacy amp as well (even though I'm not a fan of Legacy either). As bberman1 said, run 1 sub per channel. If I did the math right, you should be getting apx. 600 x 2 @ 4ohms which is a good match.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

200w x 2 @ 4 ohms Stereo / 400w x 2 @ 2 ohm Stereo / 600w x 2 @ 1 ohm stereo / 800 w x 2 @ 1/2 ohm stereo / 1600 w x 1 @ 1 ohm mono / Dimensions: 3.5" (H) x 12" (W) x 24" (D)

what about this amp its an audiobahn a2200hc would this do the trick and how would i wire this to the subs???????  thanks for all the help

the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Digital Audio 1000 WATT, A/B MOSFET 4-CHANNEL POWER AMPLIFIER Model: DA4150C SPECIFICATIONS:
*150 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms stereo
*250 watts x 4 @ 2 ohms stereo
*500 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms mono
*2/3/4 Channel Bridgeable Operation Selection
*PWM MOSFET Power Supply
*THD: 0.02%
*HCC (high current capability) 60 Amps
*Input Sensitivity Line Level: 200mV/2.5V (adjustable)
*Frequency Response: 10Hz - 40KHz
*S/N Ratio: >100dB
*4-way Protection Circuitry: Thermal, Short, Overload & DC Offset.
*Variable 18dB Low Pass Crossover: 50hz-150hz
*Variable 18dB Hi Pass Crossover: 75Hz - 750Hz
*2-Ohm Stereo Stable
*Red Logo Illumination
*Brushed Aluminum Finish with Diamond Cut Heat Sink
*Hi/Low Level Inputs
*4 Guage Power Connection
what about this amp ???????????????????
can you feel it ?????
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
ive decide on going with the digital audio amp.....and i also purchased a 2.4 farad digital capacitor what is the best way to hook up the capacitor......im using a 1 in 4 out power distribution block as well... please let me know....thanks again
can you feel it ?????
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
You'll still be underpowering your subs by 100watts each with the Digital Audio DA4150C.
Your CAP should have had a diagram with it, but I'd suggest the following...
Distro. Block --> Cap --> amp
I've also heard that you can do this as well...
              amp
             /
distro block
             \
              CAP
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
I would hook up the cap the 1st way wvsquirrel suggested although you can do it either way. I would have suggested a JBL 1200.1 instead of the digital audio it’s a better amp and is a better match for your subs. But the Audiobahn would not have worked the most you could have gotten out of it was 200 watts per sub using your current configuration.
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
ive been looking at the jbl 1200.1 and the reviews are good but everyone is talking about it not having a subsonic filter what exactly is that?? i do have a external xover will that work for what they are talking about???? also 4 guage wire into a 1in/4out distrobution block with 80 amp fuses is that going to be cool as far as the wiring???? also a inline fuse by the battery with a 80 amp fuse as well..... and should i purchase a external fan for this amp so it dont get hot as fast???????? thanks again
can you feel it ?????
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 15, 2003 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Subsonic Filter: A high pass filter designed to prevent frequencies below the audio range from being applied to the subwoofer from the amplifier. Consequently, improving subwoofer performance and power handling.
For the JBL 1200.1 I'd recommend running 2AWG from the battery to the distribution block, then 4AWG to the amp. I would never run a 1200watt amp with anything smaller then 4AWG, and since you would have other things drawing power from the distro. block, you need more then just 4AWG to supply power to everything from the battery.
I'd say 100 amp fuse if you went with the 2AWG from the battery (80 amp if you decide to use 4AWG).
As long as your battery is in a well ventilated area then I don't think you would need to worry about a fan right now.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
the only other thing that will be runnin off the distro block is the xover do i still need the 2awg or will the 4 be good and is there any other way to power the xover instead of the distro block???? thanks for all the advice............
can you feel it ?????
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
"As long as your battery is in a well ventilated area... " I meant to say Amplifier! Sorry about that :)
What are the power requirements of the x-over? I know 2 gauge may seem extreme, but any power that you rob from the amp will affect performance. You can still use 4 gauge from the bat. to the distro block if you want, just know that you might get better performance by using 2 gauge instead. Why starve a very well built amp if you don't have to? Just a suggestion...
You could run a seperate power wire from the battery just going to the x-over if you wanted to, but using the distro. block is easier as long as you have enough juice going to it to run everything.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic