icon

02 Pontiac Grand Prix, Viper 5704

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alexp1289 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
okay so I took my dash apart underneath and I have good access to the wires. I need some ideas of where to mount the brain of the Viper that will be easy for me to get to but when it's put together won't be easy for a thief to get at. I'm drawing blanks here guys :-\
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
get creative, i have found all kinds of ways to mount alarm brains. zip tie to a wire harness or in between multiple wire harnesses, screw it to some sort of metal, if you have insulation that goes up almost to the top of the dash you can try stuffing it between the firewall and insulation as a last resort just to hide it. under the carpet, in the kick panel, ive even mounted one under the driver seat before, which is the last place a thief is going to look for an alarm brain, although i dont recommend this way unless you are prepared to extent almost every wire. a thief will always go under the dash first to find the alarm so the farther away you have it from under the dash, the better protected you will ultimately be.
i prefer to use screws if at all possible because it makes it that much harder for a thief to rip it down.
good places to mount the brain are usually high under the dash, in the center console or behind the radio, or behind the instrument cluster is an awesome spot if its not too hard to take the cluster out. its hard to tell you exactly where because im not there to look for a spot myself and i usually go into every car like its a blank slate so i dont bother remembering how things look.
another good tip is to find a spot that makes it easier to run your alarm wires along side factory wire harnesses because this will make it harder to identify the alarm wires and make for a much cleaner install. if you dont take your time and think about where each wire needs to go and run those wires with other harnesses or hidden behind panels, then a thief can just follow those wires back to the alarm. the most important wires to hide are the power, ground, and siren wires.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2012 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
Behind dash, glove box, in centre console, behind kick panel if room, under front seats etc. etc. etc. as stated above, your imagination and keeping the high current cables short are your only limitations.
My first choice is behind instrument panel if there's room, easy for you to get at, easier to stealth the wiring, hard for the naughty person to find.
alexp1289 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
okay so I've ran into 1 more problem which is extending the wires for the really small wires I can't seem to find out what size wire it is so that I can order it on the internet because no store around here seems to carry it so if you guys could help me out with what size wire I need I can order it offline :-) so far all I have is the ignition wire to extend the 10 pin connector for my viper alarm.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Are you for real? Cut about an inch off the wires you want to extend and visit an auto parts store.
You got clever stupid with the location didn't you.
I've been doing alarms since about 1980, apart from a couple of Mercedes and Audis with the locking and door controls in the rear I've NEVER had to extend, every 3 months I throw away a box full!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
There's another expression here, all the "P"s
P*ss Poor Planning Prevents Proper Performance.
alexp1289 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
actually I chose to Mountain in the center console because that was the best place but nobody would ever look for it and the easiest if I ever need to work on it or fix something I took extending the wires into consideration so who knows.
alexp1289 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
Call me an idiot but I chose the location I saw best. Both reachable for repairs if needed and not in an obvious spot :-P and btw Howie the smallest wire the auto parts stores have and every other store for that matter was 18 awg. So instead of bashing me could you please help me find the correct wire. Most I find online is single strand :-( I need multi strand 24 awg for one of the connections. Your help is greatly appreciated :-P Thanks bro :-D
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
Extend using the leftovers.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Then use 18g, technically better if you have to extend, less voltage drop.
Page of 17

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic