icon

02 Pontiac Grand Prix, Viper 5704

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alexp1289 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
don't you think I would have used the leftovers if I had any? So far I've got a mounting spot for the brain and I tried to see if the wires would reach and they are 2 feet to short. My mounting spot is already set in stone because I already cut And drilled holes for the wires :-)
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2012 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Locally, you might try a RadioShack.  Just make sure the wire is stranded, not single conductor.   For a wider selection of colors and gauges you might have to go online.  There are many online sources for the wire you seek.  Here is one example :

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

As Howard mentioned, there will be several wires from the R/S brain that will not be used at all for the install.  While the color will be different, you can use them to extend the necessary wires.  Just keep track of the wire name and new color to make the connection correctly.  If you have a lot of heat shrink tube, solder and time on you hands, you could even lengthen the wire by soldering in the unused, off-color piece in the middle of the short wire.   Thereby keeping the correct color at the connection end.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Kregg, you've stolen my thoughts again, that trick you mentioned in the last two sentences or is that just applied common sense?
alexp1289 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
Howie as we all have figured out is a wise a**. Thanks for graciously giving me your thoughts oh godly one!! And forgive me for not wanting nothing more than to screw up not only my alarm install but investment. Clearly you're both good mods but Howie thinks all of this is just common knowledge. I've always been told check twice solder once. Forgive me for double checking and making sure that my information is correct as I said before quit bashing me. Id expect more from a mod like yourself Howie and remember that as some of us may know what you speak of. Our first install is still a tricky one and a bit nerve racking. You may be an old pro but look at who you're talking with .
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
Your attitude is quite understandable except for one small point, you don't appear to absorb anything.
You don't appear to have ANY grasp of what you're doing or any ability to plan ahead.
I've "mentored" plenty of newbies here and given praise and congratulations when it's deserved.
Yes my advice is very cynical but let's face it this thread has been well discussed in PMs and others have generally been surprised at my patience with you.
You keep on asking the sort of questions I WOULD'T expect from my 12 and 14 year old grandchildren when I get them to install equipment with me.
My daughter at 14 was pulling apart Toyota interiors, running wiring and installing audio at the local Toyota shop on school holidays.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
And here's some thinking outside of the box for you, 2 examples;:-
domestic cabling, 6-10 amp capacity (it would be 6 here but we run 230VAC), 3 core multi stranded..Home Depot?
5-7 core cable for towing brackets, any good auto factors.
alexp1289 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
If I had not planned ahead I surely wouldn't have measured to see if the wires fit and I surely wouldn't have asked your opinion I would have just gone straight to installing so clearly I don't know how to plan ahead? Am I right? All of that aside I do appreciate your help. I have at this point absorbed everything we've talked about :-) But just be forewarned I may have a few more questions because I'm very close to installing. And you would be right that I have 0 experience in car electrical.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
As it happens wise**se is incorrect in these circumstances God is nearer the mark and you will probably end up on your knees praying for me to sort out your problems!
Because it's unlikely anyone else well, I haven't a clue what a Pontiac is (Opel/Vauxhall/Holden copies?) can't remember what unit you're fitting, don't care and it doesn't really matter the principles are all the same.
Being anal, just wondering if beforehand you actually thought of laying out the looms, attached to the brain just to see if they would reach?
I seem to remember making the point a few posts ago something to the effect of "shorter the better".
There are technical as well as practical reasons for that comment, again you should have thought "WHY has he said that?"
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the best positions are 1) behind instrument cluster and 2) behind the glovebox (and airbag).
Harder to get at unless you know where and how to get to them, the average naughty doesn't know how with the siren (and maybe a hidden siren) blaring away.
At least one other experienced professional mentioned that to you again you either weren't listening or chose to ignore it.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
now now gentlemen, lets play nice. to answer the OP's question, id really doesnt matter what exact gauge wire you use to extend your wire, as long as its close then it will be fine. most of the wires on an alarm carry a small current of less than 1 amp. with that said, because the wires are low current, they shouldnt be super long either because that will cause a voltage drop and things wont act right.
you did good with putting the alarm in the console, i probably would have done the same thing as long as i had the extra time to burn. if i remember correctly the dash of those pontiacs dont come apart, only the under dash can be removed and the upper dash is all one piece. i always hated doing those because it meant that i was gonna spend a lot of time under the dash with the brake pedal stabbing me in my ear. also not much room for hiding anything other than wires and the bypass module.
also just a side note, the people on here help tons and tons of first time installers going through the same thing you are. so we know they we need to spell things out in the simplest possible way, which is what has been done, and it can be frustrating for us because we honestly cant make it any simpler. when every one of our answers leads to six more questions some people can get a little short tempered. case in point, its page 6 and you have yet to connect a single wire. if you think you are having problems now just wait until you are in the middle of the install and get stuck on something and your car is in 20 pieces, undrivable, etc.
my first basic alarm took me 5 hours on an easy easy car with someone standing over me, so trust me when i say i know where you are coming from. so dont expect to finish yours with any kind of speed either
Page of 17

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic