icon

bed cut for 15's 2011 sierra.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01ws6/tamu 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
Tried several boxes in and under the seat in my short crew sierra. Theres just not enough room to get anything that will flat pound the ground and keep the back seat. So going back to my old school root's from the mid late 90's she will be getting a bed cut with a large ported box
I'm thinking a JL 1000 and 2 15w0's. I'm looking for loud hard hitting cant sit in the truck bass again. My reasoning behind the wo's is they are fairly reasonable and if I cook one it's not going to break my heart or wallet.
Thoughts ideas recommendation's on above train of thought.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Isn't the bed separate from the cabin?  If so, you won't want to try connecting them with your enclosure as the truck will break it since it is designed to flex.  Plus unless you plan to compete with this thing (and you never want to be able to sell it) I wouldn't do that to a brand new truck... but hey, it's yours, go for whatever you want!
Support the12volt.com
01ws6/tamu 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
When yo do the bed a accordion boot is installed between the cab and bed. Not worried about selling it, if and when the time comes I'll cut the bed and cab panels out of a salvage yard truck weld them in bondo it up shoot some color on and send it down the highway.
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
I know many guys that have done that truck with a nice ported enclosure and not had to cut a pass thru. With the equipment you are looking at using I would say get a nice tuned box with better woofers and that should do it.
01ws6/tamu 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Want to keep the back seat and all of the forward floor space.   All the various boxes I've been through have all been underseat boxes in I think every combination you can build using 10's and 12's. They sound great for what they are just not quite what I'm after.
Used my jl 1000 on JL 10w3's and a set of older eclipse aluminum's. Then tried a 12w6 on the 1000. I'm pretty dead set on the bed just looking for thoughts on my amp sub combo selection to see if it's a good direction or try something else.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Cool.  I've never done a truck bed blow-through.  The JL woofers are generally good, as are their amps.  The best high SPL drivers I've used lately were RE XXX series... if you want no holds barred I can recommend them.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
just built a blow through box for my ranger a few months ago for two 18's. the cutting the hole part was the easiest part you just have to be careful when marking the outline because the floor of the truck and the bed are usually at different heights so on one side you will have to make some sort of raised floor. after you cut the hole you will have to reinforce the back wall because it will lose a lot of strength. making a wooden trim ring and glue it and screw it around the hole will make it strong enough and then i would go over that with a layer of dynamat.
cut your hole with rounded corners so that the accordion gasket can make the turn easily and seal every inch of it with good silicone just to make sure it doesnt leak onto your box and swell it up.
01ws6/tamu 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
My back cab wall will be a PITA it has 2 layers of dynamat extreme on it. Going to be a nasty mess once all that goo gets nice and hot with a airsaw blade.
I'll look into the RE series I'm open to suggestions. This day and time the stuff that was top notch 12-15 years ago is now mediocre made in china junk. They are still banking on a name and reputation of the past.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
i would actually recommend a reciprocating saw rather than an air saw. the bigger blade will make short work of the dynamat. use the air saw in the corners and to do the final trim down of rough edges.
01ws6/tamu 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
I looked at the re xxx series today but I'm trying to stay in the 4-600 dollar range for both subs and re-use my existing JL 1000/1
Anyone else have some recommendations of really good subs that will hit hard and close to the above price range.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic