icon

2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys have a question.... what should i use to bond MDF to my plastic door panel? i used hot glue in a few spots to hold the MDF to the panel for now, but i know that wont hold for long. Would FG give a good bond? keep in mind that i will be building a sealed enclosure for a 6w3 JL sub, a lot of vibration to the panel. I cant use super glue type cause its to thin and run thou the cracks.
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
use an epoxy type glue, and make sure you can clamp the pieces together so it will bond . i would use some bolts and washers as extra support.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so i tried a epoxy glue, but the hold wasn't strong enough for me.
So i cut 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide aluminum strips and bent them to the angle i need. worked out better for me.
2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 7 -- posted image.
Now its time to get out the blue tape and FG!!!!!
This time i cut away most of the bottom of the door panel to get the FG box for the JL 6w3 to fit and look right.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

This guy has some good technique and attention to detail. I know i watched a FG tutorial in which they used some profesionall grade epoxy called somthing 90 that I cant find anymore but I looked into it and you have to buy a $100 dual tube caulk gun to use it and the epoxy/glue is really expensive itself andd theres no good way to save the stuff once its open.  So ive been stuck figuring out ways to get around this problem. Your's seems to be the most reliable although it creates more finishing work to hide the screws.

Writing this made me think of an adhesive i used all the time when i worked at the arcade "Amazing Goop" "Plumbing formula" its in a purple tube and has caracteristics similar to hot glue but is not temprature sensitive. you may want to get some to use in addition to your brakets to prevent rattling. alone it wouldn't be strong enough but it bonds well to most plastics and ....web search later...Here is your best bet, the Automotive fomula "Fix cracks in dashboards and paneling"

Amazon has it for sure the Home Depot may have it because they also have the plumbing formula. I'd scuff up the surfaces well too if you use it.

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Your right about the screws, they will be fun to hind. Because they are on the bottom and i have a lip on the edge, I'm going to FG over the screws and paint the bottom panel, that should hide they from a quick glance lol. Z Thx for the props.
Made the FG panel and fiberglass-ed the enclosure walls for the sub. A few more layer, then on to body filler.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
interesting.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Finished FGing the remainder of the box walls. had to hot glue the curved end with small peaces of 1/4 MDF instead of kerfing a single peace of mdf. Too many curves. Also had to extend the back where the 6w3v2 magnet was, I didn't want the panel coming out 6" from the door. I just kerf a small and cover it with a cotton T shirt, and reinforced with 2 layers of FG mat. Next is to round out the top of the top MDF and make a new template to hold the 6w3 and the JL Evo comp set.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
******   Forgot that where i put the Screws on the angles, I should have used Rivets with large diameter heads :( (flatter and easier to hide with paint). Will have to fix that tonight.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Are you planning on using any bracing? There is a lot of flat fiberglass in that enclosure that may flex more than you would like, especialy with that little monster in there! I am thinking a few dowels between the FG back and the MDF baffel?
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
I plan to fiberglass 2 1"x1" blocks in the middle of the box and then drill a 1/4 thou hole in the middle of each block for screws, this way the block act as bracing and hold the panel to the door like a spacer.
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic