the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ignition kill relay on alarm not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
And there should be no doubt in your mind which wire is the 12v constant vs ignition vs starter. Always test your wires to verify everything. Don't just go solely by the diagrams / charts.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
af12 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
You shouldn't use the ignition as the immobilizer. If something ever happened and the alarm failed armed it would cut your engine off... and if you are traveling down the highway, that could become a very bad situation. ALWAYS use the starter wire as the immobilizer.
I would disconnect the relay from your ignition wire, solder the ignition wire back together along with the ignition input to the alarm, then re-install the relay onto your starter wire.
thanks. I'm going to do that....solder the ignition wire back together, then, use the ignition for the relays switched 12v, and use the starter wire for the immobiliser.
thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
If I remember right, most of the info on that referral is correct.
Ignition = black
Starter = BLACK/ blue
Indicators blue and blue/red, either at the steering column or right hand kick well.
Dome or courtesy or interior light light trigger is in the left hand "A" pillar or kick panel.
Lock and unlock wires require two relays but I won't explain that until you tell us what alarm and whether it has a 2 wire or a 6 wire lock unlock system.
af12 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
right......I had it wired like this:
The starter wire (BLACK/ Blue) was used for the immobiliser, so they were wired to 87 and 30 on the relay, and the alarm trigger was wired to 85, and the 86 was wired to ignition.
So all correct.
But it still doesn't work.
I checked the relay with a probe, It works fine when power is put through it - from either 85 or 86. When I connect it to the relay plug that's wired to the above ^^ wires, when I put power through 85 the relay doesn't switch, when I put power through 86 It turns the ignition on.
So why then, when I turn the key does the relay not switch & when the alarm is in "arm" why won't the relay switch when I turn the key, as it will still start?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Couldn't you read the diagram or didn't you even look?
Armed out from alarm to 85.
Ignition BLACK to 86 with diode 1N4004 between 85 and 86, band to 86
Key side to 87a.
Starter side to 30.
87 NOT USED.
Now it's down to you.
af12 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Couldn't you read the diagram or didn't you even look?
Armed out from alarm to 85.
Ignition BLACK to 86 with diode 1N4004 between 85 and 86, band to 86
Key side to 87a.
Starter side to 30.
87 NOT USED.
Now it's down to you.
I printed out the diagram actually, I didn't realise that it made a difference which side 87a and 30 went to. Could that be the problem I they are the wrong way around?
The plug that goes into the relay was sent with the alarm, the thing in the middle of 85 and 86 looks more like a resistor that a diode. It has colour bands around it - which makes me think resistor...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
No, unless you're installing a remote start but you wrote 87 and that's wrong, it's 87a and 30.
By convention 87a is the key side and 30 the output or in this case motor side, it helps to stick with the conventions, then problems can be more easily solved.
The resistor is sometimes used instead of a diode, not polarity conscious but less efficient, sounds like the alarm the make of which you still haven't mentioned is a right POS.
af12 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
It's only a 4 pin relay so there's no 87, only 87a.
The alarm is a Cyclone 916D5A-15A.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
Don't carry on, it probably won't even work, another unknown brand Chinese POS. The relay is the give-away.
af12 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
It's all installed already, the 2 stage shock detection works, the ultrasonics work, the remote central locking works, car finding works and so does panic feature. Not bad really.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic