fortin evo and remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
john07 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2012 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hello

I am new to installing remote starters. I installed a few alarms and keyless entries back in the 90's. I would like to install a crimestopper RS00-G3(add on module) and Fortin Evo-Can in my 2004 G35. The first problem I have run into is just hooking up the data cable between the Evo and the remote start. The cable has 3 different connections. One end fits the Evo and the other end has 2 connectors on it. The crimestopper has 2 data ports. 1 marked Evo and the other ADS. The 2 connecters will not fit the one marked EVo, but it does fit the ADS port. So should I hook it to the one marked ADS? Do I have to change the settings in the remote start  from the Evo port which is the default and change it to the ADS port? The manual talks nothing about this cable and I do not want to guess at this. This is an add on system that does not have remotes. It uses the factory remotes.  I have programmed the evo and it does nothing except an amber led lights up when I turn the ignition on with the key.

Thanks JohnT

John T
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
john07 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2012 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have contacted Fortin about the data cable problem and they said to just wire in all the connections and not use the data port. The whole reason I bought the Fortin Evo-Can was because of the data port. I am waiting on an answer from crimestopper and see what they say. If the data cable had the same connector on both ends it would work. This seems like a Fortin cable issue.
John T
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2012 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
I wire everything directly much more reliable and easier to troubleshoot later if needed
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2012 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
Exactly. Yes data is quick and easy, but in the end it usually takes longer. Whenever wiring up a separate bypass like that I ALWAYS do w2w. It usually only adds on 5 min to the install and it can all be done at the bench. However, lately I've been using Compustar starters with the blade bypasses... best and most efficient setup I have ever seen.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2012 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I've called crimestopper about the same problem with the data ports. The two ports are internally connected to each other. So it doesn't matter which port you use as long as the crimestoppers menu option is set to the correct bypass type. On that note, the ONE unit I did this on with the EVO-Can and a Nissan Rogue caused me all sorts of problems... It was a much neater install, but after the problems started appearing, I had to rewire the two to W2W. It sucks having to change it to W2W while the remote start is wired in the car... I have never tried D2D again after that, it wasted too much time. Like offroadzj said, it only takes 5 minutes on the bench. It takes 30-45 minutes while its in the car...
The communication problem I was having was due to a software problem inside the Crimestopper. They fixed it in later brains. So they say, but I'm not testing it..LOL. When I called Fortin, they asked me the date code from the Crimestopper and they knew about the problem and told me to use W2W instead. That solved ALL my problems.
This Nissan Rouge took me almost 3 hours with the trouble shooting, calling Fortin, and rewiring. The next Rogue took me an hour.
john07 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2012 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Well I learned something else tonight. Fortin finally answered my question on why the data cable does not fit my crimestopper r/s. If I bought my evo from a company that sell DEI, it will have the cable for that device. So it looks like mine was not a Fortin dealer.

Door lock wiring on a G35. It says they are in the door.on a module and I have to tap into it after the module because on the input side is data. Is there anywhere else I can tap into it? I need to do a double pulse so it will disarm the alarm and unlock it at the same time.

Can anyone tell me how to run the door look wires in a G35? The wires that are there now are a plug. There is no access to the wiring in between the door. I would hate to drill a hole so looking for a professional opinion.

Thanks

John T
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2012 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Does the G35 have the Factory Alarm?

If yes, why go into the door?  Follow this Fortin EVO-ALL install guide for your car and make the

connection at the BCM using diodes ( with the CrimeStoppers lock wires soldered on ) inserted into
the empty pin locations shown.   https://ifar.ca/download/4211/preview.html   See the Type 2 Connection
diagram on Page 7.  The BCM in the DPK is easier to get to than trying to run wires into the door.

Soldering is fun!
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Funny, Crimestopper told me it depended when the EVO was made. If it was made earlier it had the clip and if it was made later it didn't have the clip. Either way it doesn't really matter, just plug it in the one that it fits in. As for the door locks, follow what Kreg357 said as running in the door is much more of a pain then you think. Especially if you've never taken off a door panel before or even drilled holes and ran wires through a molex plug. To get the wires into the door, you would have to drill through a molex plug in order to get the wires through the rubber boot between the door and car. Much easier to pin the BCM as instructed in the Fortin install manual.
john07 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for info

Question about the lock wires to BCM. I read this, but when I saw that it said connect to the enpty pin slots. I have not looked at it on the bcm. So if the slots are empty, how do you hook wires to it? Are the pins there, but no wire on the pins? Or are there just empty slots no pins in the slots. IF the pins are in the slots then no problem.

Thanks

John T
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
The slots are empty, You can either strip the insulation off the door lock wires about an inch or so. Once you strip the wire using your fingers twist the copper wire exposed tight and insert the wire into the empty slot till it hits bottom.
Or, you can solder the door lock wire to the end of the leg of a diode and insert the Leg into the empty slot till it hits bottom.
Either way you do it, leave a little slack in the door lock wires and wire tie it to the surrounding bunch of wires from that BCM plug. Use 2 wire ties, a lower one and one higher up the factory wires. Also, leave slack in between the 2 zip ties. This way if the wire gets tugged, the wires won't be pulling out of the slots.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic