78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Not that I've seen any descriptions, but I suspect vagueness is one desire...
Battery is a vague term. The Prius' main battery can be considered ONE battery made up of 2 strings of several mono-blocks and even more cells. Each cell is a "battery" as is a monoblock as is a collection of monoblocks... IE - an entire collection or "batteries" is itself "a battery".
But no matter how you look at it, chopping down the DC from the Prius' main battery is the easiest and most efficient way to power an amplifier (ie, even if they only use ~70VDC for 1 Ohm speakers).
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think the propulsion battery is accessible in any safe fashion, plus it is 273.6 volts. At 6.5 Ah capacity, it won't last as long as a couple Optimas. :)
Support the12volt.com
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
LOL! I guess audioforums might swallow that (ie, the 6.5AH vs two Optimas).
And it merely requires an HVDC license to tap the batteries legally (depending on the intra-string isolation links/method and its maintenance legalities).
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well, an Optima yellow top is rated for 75 Ah... Don't know what an "HVDC license" is, maybe it's a certification they do in Oz?
Support the12volt.com
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
HVDC - required to work on DC above whatever voltage (lower than its AC counterpart).
HVDC is relative. Transmission-wise, 1,000V is still classed as "low voltage". In telcos, above ~80VDC might be referred to as HVDC, though its H may refer to "hazardous" rather than "high".
But if in USA they require licences to work on 110VAC systems, I'm sure they'd require licensing for 110VDC.
Re the Optima. You are comparing a yellowtop battery rated at under 1,000kWh against a Prius battery rated at over well over 1,300kWh.
However, presumably the 4kW output audio would normally be working with the engine running. You are then comparing a 12V alternator with a minimum of 350A output (5kW) against the the Prius with its 10kW generator.
Efficiency-wise, the Prius would not have to up-convert the amp's voltage.
Furthermore, the 12V generation and distribution will have well over 200 times the losses of the Prius (ie, >350A vs <25A).
But why not find out what set up those Swedes used? (I wonder if they'd use Optima knowing the history of the Prius? how can you pump a prius - Page 2 -- posted image. )
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
See that s the thing they didn't that's why I was thinking it looks nice but does it sound nice. So people can fit it the car nicely but can the car hold it and still do its normal functions
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
Xtx-500.5
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Using the HV battery & system requires far less modification.
To run off 12V requires the addition of a large 12V alternator else upgrading their HV to 12V converter from ~50A-100A (whatever) to say 400A. And why to that only to convert (say) 350A of that back up to a higher voltage?
I reckon they'd be using the HV supply and maybe down-converting to feed the back-end of a normal car amp else some other amp. After all, they can easily run 8-Ohm speakers - even a single 4kW 8-Ohm speaker requires less than 200V.
And it wouldn't be the first time those dastardly Swedes have plagiarised my ideas! how can you pump a prius - Page 2 -- posted image.
DYohn 
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark, my point is you don't need to do anything to the HV system (nor would you want to, really) to run a large 12V system. You either need to add an HO alt or two, and/or a high capacity DC-DC convertor, and/or a couple good 12V batteries. And then, like they claim, the propulsion system is left intact. Besides, it would be foolhardy indeed to try and tap directly into the 270V system on a Prius, both because it has a pretty low ampacity and because it would still require DC-DC conversion to attain an operating voltage capable of driving amplifiers. Plus is damn dangerous, regardless of any "certification."
Support the12volt.com
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
That makes sense when you explain it. So I'm thinking this kind of technology might just get better
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic