icon

i think my viper rs is draining my battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ralph_t 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
I think I can figure this out myself since I have done these before. Just have one question. Here are the connections wire to wire between the XK01 and my Viper.
XK01:
1 Brown – ?
2 Green – Viper H4/1 Green
3 Blue – Viper H4/3 Blue
4 Violet/White – NC
5 Violet – OBDII pin 2 Violet 
6 Pink/White – NC
7 Pink – NC
8 Orange – NC
9 Red – Soldered to 12v constant red ignition wire (column harness)
10 Black – Soldered together with other grounds and screwed to chassis.
What do I connect to the Brown pin 1 on the XK01? I have had this on all previous remotes ive done connected to the Viper H3/1 BLUE/WHITE (-) 200 mA 2ND STATUS/REAR DEFOGGER - LATCHED/PULSED
I will take another look and see where the installer connected this wire to but I have heard from browsing other forums that if this wire is not connected correctly it can drain the battery. It is called GWR ( grounded while running)
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4.2L I6
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Connect it to the Status Output / ground when running output of the Viper. It is what actually tells the bypass when to activate. I don't see how it would drain the battery though.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
ralph_t 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
Connect it to the Status Output / ground when running output of the Viper. It is what actually tells the bypass when to activate. I don't see how it would drain the battery though.
In your professional opinion. What would cause an XK01 to drain a battery?
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4.2L I6
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
He can't answer that unless he looked at the wiring on your vehicle.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
If it is in fact narrowed down to the XK01 then it has to be one of 3 things:
1) The status output is giving a constant ground signal (or it is hooked up incorrectly; ie to the ground when armed output). The GWR/Status out should ONLY show ground when the remote start is activated.
2) The ground to the chassis is bad. How and where exactly do you have everything grounded.
3) The XK01 is bad.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
ralph_t 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kenny. I will take a look tonight and double check connections.
By the way, the installer crimped all the connections and didnt solder any except the high power ones. Is this ok, or would you solder all connections?
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4.2L I6
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Always solder.
ralph_t 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
XK01:
Looks like there were a few more connections that I missed. Specifically the orange and PURPLE / white. If you guys/gals don't see any problems here I guess the bypass module itself is bad. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
XK01:
1 Brown – Viper Blue/White - negative 200 mA 2nd status defogger
2 Green – Viper H4/1 Green
3 Blue – Viper H4/3 Blue
4 Violet/White – Green - Negative Door Trigger Input
5 Violet – OBDII pin 2 Violet
6 Pink/White – NC
7 Pink – NC
8 Orange – Viper GREEN/ Black - Factory Alarm Disarm
9 Red – Soldered to 12v constant red ignition wire (column harness)
10 Black – Soldered together with other grounds and screwed to chassis.
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4.2L I6
offroadzj 
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
How is it screwed to the chassis? Is it going to a factory bolt or just through a screw? If it is through just a screw, remove it and move the ground to a factory bolt.. the screws tend to loosen over time and cause multiple issues.
Test to make sure the 2nd status output (blue/white) is only giving a ground signal while remote started. It should not provide a ground at any point with the remote starter not activated.
Also test for constant voltage with the black lead of your meter on the ground pin directly at the XK01 and the red lead on the 12v input pin directly at the XK01.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
ralph_t 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
How is it screwed to the chassis? Is it going to a factory bolt or just through a screw? If it is through just a screw, remove it and move the ground to a factory bolt.. the screws tend to loosen over time and cause multiple issues.
They used a self tapping screw and star washer with a terminal connection. Its screwed to the front drivers door pillar. Tested continuity and it is good.
offroadzj wrote:
Test to make sure the 2nd status output (blue/white) is only giving a ground signal while remote started. It should not provide a ground at any point with the remote starter not activated.
Yes, it will only ground when remote starting. Tested this between the 12 volt red and brown wires. Wiggled them with no difference. This is good.
offroadzj wrote:
Also test for constant voltage with the black lead of your meter on the ground pin directly at the XK01 and the red lead on the 12v input pin directly at the XK01.
Good
2005 GMC Envoy XL
4.2L I6
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic