the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what brands are 'higher end'?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
Due to some policy changes with one of the audio companies I was using, I am no longer an authorized dealer and therefore I am on the look-out for another mid-high end quality audio brand. I know the obvious (JL, Memphis, Kicker, MTX) but I wanted to know some others. I can get other brands from my distributor, but I've never used them before so I didn't know if they were decent quality or your typical Walmart crap. Here are the brands I can get from my current distributor:
Alphasonik
AudioPipe
Hifonics
Kenwood (don't have much in the higher power ranges; mostly just mid power)
Logic
Matrix
Precision Power
Soundstream
If I were to go off prices (get what you pay for), the Alphasonik, Precision Power, and Soundstream would be in that middle range quality (similar to MTX / Kicker); but since I've never used them, I don't know about their quality... and don't want to be selling crap to my customers.
Thanks!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
precicion power and soundstream are mostly the same product, they have a few differences but are mostly the same. they run the gambit in terms of quality, from cheap garbage to some pretty decent amps and speakers. i dont know about their radios, never used them.
likewise i never used alphasonic either but some of their stuff looks neat.
i havent dealt with hifonics in so long i couldnt tell you whether they had anything worth selling or not.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
This is mostly for amps and subs. I can also get Alpine through another distributor so I have a decent option there... I just haven't used their amps either in so long.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
IMO Alpine is superior to anything on your list, and nothing on that list is even close to "higher end." If you want higher-end, look at brands like Brax/Helix, Genesis, Rainbow, Milburn, Zapco, Mosconi, Dynaudio, Morel...
Support the12volt.com
offroadzj 
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't mean extreme high end... I meant something up around the high middle range. Around the similar quality of Alpine, Eclipse, etc. Something that your average Joe who wants decent stuff can afford.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Higher-end "average Joe" electronics IMO include Alpine's better line such as their PDX amps, Zapco's iForce line, Some of the better Phoenix Gold stuff, Pioneer's Stage 4 line, Clarion's top of the line and probably a few others I can't think of right now.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
yea if you can get alpine as an authorized dealer then id vote for that. even though i dont particularly like how their speakers sound the name alone will make people buy it and it is better than anything you have in that list. although soundstream makes a few nice amps and subs the rest of their line is just ok and lately they have been plastering that damn spider all over everything so now it just looks like cheap kids stuff.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
As a user, I'd suggest Alpine though I've only used their HUs, not their amps nor speakers etc.
I went back to Alpine after trying a couple of cheapies and I now have the view "always Alpine, don't bother with the others". That is also based on several mate's comments over many years, as well as the12volt's poll and many saying there is no bad Alpine (HU?) etc, and quite a few "experienced" guys commenting on my sound quality.
Pricewise I got my "previous year's model" Alpine HU for $99 instead of RRP $199 or the usual chatting price of $179 ($AUD).
But even at $199, I would buy the Alpine over the other 2 at $49 each (one was RRP $89). Yeah - 4x as much, but only $150 extra for IMO essential trouble free quality.
And if unable to afford $50 but not $199, I'd rather be without until I could get the Alpine (or other HU that I knew was of equal quality).
bospet40 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Higher-end "average Joe" electronics IMO include Alpine's better line such as their PDX amps, Zapco's iForce line, Some of the better Phoenix Gold stuff, Pioneer's Stage 4 line, Clarion's top of the line and probably a few others I can't think of right now.
Pioneer's Stage 4 line IS NOT for the Higher-end average joe. It happens to be the best you can buy these days, ( their Head Unit i'm Taking about) if you want the latest technology and not 8+ year old Alpine F1 Status. Which I both own. Nakamichi's Black Amps, PA300II 2 channel and PA400M their mono amps are extreme sound quality without braking the bank. I have both for sale if you're interested.
Don't know what the problem is yet... but I know what it's not.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis is a great line to get. There MC line is great. We sell a bunch of those...Those other lines are basically the same stuff. I don't even bother with them. We are JL and Memphis dealers.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic