the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what brands are 'higher end'?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have to give my local Memphis rep a call this week, but from what I've seen they apparently have the same policy regarding not having a physical store front... so I may strike out there as well. I also tried getting JL when I first started and I think I ran into the same issue.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
most of the big quality brands require a store front. they want to make sure you are selling it at their price and not out on ebay for 30 bucks above cost.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I understand that, but what's to say that some 'chop shop' isn't going to do the same thing? It's not worth my time to try to pull that crap. Most of my income comes from my install fees. I could definitely see them saying no to just a plain jane side-job installer, but for someone in my shoes, who has taken the time, money, effort, etc. in setting up a legitimate business with a business license, retail certificate of sale, etc. it just doesn't seem right.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
well its not just any business front they need, they want to make sure you are real and that you arent a chinese restaurant selling audio out the back door. they want you to be a dedicated audio shop or something similar like a tint shop so that their products are represented by people who know what they are doing. im not saying you dont know what you are doing im just giving you the reason for the rule. they also want to know where you are so that they can respect sales terrirory so they dont put too many dealers within a certain milage of each other.
we had to go through all kinds of checks to be an authorized crossfire dealer
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Sound stream is now in bed with power acoustic, so i wont toutch it, but what do i konw, i think MTX is kind of garbage, and wont toutch it either (I liked it about 10-15 years ago).  Alpine, in my opinion is not nearly as good as it was 8 years ago, but the low end 500w amp by alpine is the top selling amp in the world right now and has been for a few years.  From a profitability standpoint, that is nice for you as a dealer.  As far as the store front thing goes, i may be able to explain it.  It is a cash flow, and image thing.  Cash flow is because your rep is on commission, and brands like Memphis protect the line.  That means if the local rep lets you sell it, no one else in town can sell it.  Without a store front, it is likely that you wont sell as much, and this was admited by you when you stated that most of your money comes from install, not sales.  The guy with the store front will make the rep and therefore the company more money.  The image thing is just like mentioned above.  They have  a certain image that they want, and like someone else said, they dont what someone with no real store representing their brand.  Look at stage 6 and what is required to sell that.  It is crazy.  Based on the regs to sell that, there are probably less than 10 cities in the country that meet the requirements to even have a dealer, then even fewer shops within those cities to meet those requirements.  It an Image thing. 
If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
the only thing i even like from MTX is their thunder elite amps, everything else is just sub standard for the price they want. with that said ill agree that mtx isnt nearly as good as it was even 8 years ago, i bought and still have a a regular thunder 300 watt amp that i feel is just as clean if not more so than their newer stuff, not to mention a thunder elite amp is the only amp ive ever seen burst into fire for no apparent reason right after i installed it. their thunderform stealth boxes are decent too.
soundstream, PPI, power acoustic, and one other brand that i cant think of right now are all basically the same product, most of it looks the same just different colors. compare the power acoustic MOFO to the PPI power line sub, they are identical. i wouldnt quite say that one is in bed with the other, but merely have the same supplier and they brand their product differently. no real research and development on either side, they just buy from china or wherever and slap their name on it.
namesmeanlittle 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
zapco that is cool
price... well you can't buy good benz for under 60 or a bently extra
ppi well used to be
i'm a little out of touch with new brands but zapco
namesmeanlittle 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
o ya love kicker
just like being kicked in my ear
o and mtx good bang for your buck
Hifonics thats a vary sore spot in my heart from perfection to.... its to painful
PPI o if your talking about old ppi i'm so happy
if your not we need you to get some sections at a real audio place
i don't know wanna know the rest
ok... when you can listen to opera classical MUSIC on a system not some getto boom bang thing you will start to like it
no offense but you have some dull ears or they have never heard what it should sound like
bospet40 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
namesmeanlittle wrote:
ok... when you can listen to opera classical MUSIC on a system not some getto boom bang thing you will start to like it
no offense but you have some dull ears or they have never heard what it should sound like
When you have a very high end stereo system, like I have, it doesn't matter what type of music you listen to it's all going to sound as best as it was recorded.
Whether classical or rap music makes no difference.
Don't know what the problem is yet... but I know what it's not.
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Let me get this straight. An Owner/Technician/Professional doesn't know the obvious answer to this?
I really don't like to be a hater, but I have to deal with a general public view of the car audio performance industry that thinks we are all hacks and or that our services are only worth a dollar or less. Many of the misconceptions about car audio professionals exist because of dudes claiming to be professional retailers and installers that have no business doing so.
Having said that I realize that I know nothing about you or your establishment and am not stating that I do. So I apologize that this sounds harsh.
Are you looking for public opinion? Or are you really in the dark yet willing to tear into peoples prize possessions with out knowing what you are doing?    
After 20 years of doing it better than most and having to deal with the grief of hacks (not necessarily you)being self labeled as professionals, a question like the one you posted is disturbing.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic