the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good soldering iron for ignition wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
I've been having a hell of a time lately with getting ignition wires to heat up enough to draw the solder in. I have the non-adjustable Weller station (blue color) that is getting pretty old and I think its dropping out on me. So I'm looking to pick up a new one. I have my Power Probe butane that works great for small gauge wires so my focus is on the ignition wires. Most of my installs are indoors so I would prefer corded for better temp control. What temp. and wattage is best for the heavier wires? Km looking at the Weller wes51 fully adjustable but wanted some thoughts before dropping $90 on a soldering station that won't work how I need it. From what I can find it goes up to 45 watts and has a temp control of 350* - 850*.
Opinions? Since its for the business I don't mind spending a little more for a quality station that will last me a while.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Kenny, I use a Weller gun for indoor use, red with light.
In the field I use a Weller Pyropen or Pyropen mini, all three hot enough to do ignition wires.
To me what you use is good for circuit board and bench work rather than heavy duty car work.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, I mainly got the PowerProbe Butane for the small gauge wiring; I never really expected it to do well with ignition wires. I've had the Weller station since Circuit City closed... when the liquidation went through they told us to throw away / get rid of all non-inventory. So the soldering station went with me.
I'll have to look into the pyropen. I used to use the Weller gun and I hated it... the tips were always way to bulky for me... and didn't seem to last very long at all.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Those tighteners on the bit ends constantly need doing up, otherwise forget it.
Never got on with the Portasol device although lots of people like them.
And never use lighter gas, it ruins Wellers, use the purified butane.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
I was doing a mobile on Monday, 28f plus wind chill, in East Anglia, the wind straight off Siberia across the Baltic, Denmark Holland and me with no hills to stop it.
All the brass monkeys were queuing at the welders, the Pyropens just gave up trying to ignite.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Weller SP40, 40 watt 1/4" chisel tip. Won't hurt to remove the tip and coat the portion that inserts into the element with anti-seize. Helps tip replacement as they do wear.
Mark
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
I like that idea, probably much better than trying to run the Weller Gun through a small inverter.
Except the gun comes up to heat fast, thus no current drain whilst waiting, remember with me everything is based on mobile working.
offroadzj 
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
One thing I have to think about too is that I will probably be doing some minor circuit board wiring here and there (mainly for a motorcycle flash-to-open garage door opener). So I still need something that I can use on those.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sp40 tends to not be enough for me when doing heavy gauge ignition wires
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Also, for some unknown reason, contrary to my other comments, the Weller Pyropen is about $30 cheaper in the UK.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic