icon

my amp is clipping, possibly tweeters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
littlenicky1 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
I have a total of 8 speakers and a 2 channel amp that is a power acoustik with 540 watts rms on each channel. I have 4 kicker ks60 that run 65 watts rms. I have 4 alpine tweeters type r-1 that I think run at 75 watts each but I can't figure that out for sure. I have 2 tweeters and 2 kicker speakers on each channel. I have 2 tweeters running in series and they are parallel to the 2 kicker speakers that are in series. I should be running at 4 ohms so that should be fine. My question is that each of the tweeters that their own crossover, they are in series so there is 2 crossovers on one series circuit. Could this cause the clipping? Do I need to cut it so 1 crossover is on both tweeters? I do not think it should mater but I am not sure. Also I have the parallel circuits both directly into the amp rather than cut into the same line which I have seen. Can this mater and make the clipping. It is getting worse with time. Also what should I expect the amp to really run rms at. I know they always lie about that and I have never used this brand before to know. I usually buy quality stuff but it was so cheep. Thanks in advance.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on the frequency, your amp is seeing an 8 ohm load per channel. You need to parallel the speakers to achieve a 2 ohm per channel load. This may give you the volume you desire.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
littlenicky1 wrote:
My question is that each of the tweeters that their own crossover, they are in series so there is 2 crossovers on one series circuit. Could this cause the clipping? Do I need to cut it so 1 crossover is on both tweeters? I do not think it should mater but I am not sure. Also I have the parallel circuits both directly into the amp rather than cut into the same line which I have seen. Can this mater and make the clipping. It is getting worse with time. Also what should I expect the amp to really run rms at. I know they always lie about that and I have never used this brand before to know. I usually buy quality stuff but it was so cheep. Thanks in advance.
First, do NOT connect crossovers in series, and do not run 2 tweeters with one crossover. You need to connect each tweeter with its crossover in parallel to the amp. Second, what do you mean by "clipping" and how do you know it is clipping?
Support the12volt.com
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
If I do that then I would be running at 8 ohms. My amp can only run up to 4. How can I do this so that I only run at 4 ohms with all 3 speakers. I am thinking about adding another set or 2 of tweeters to in a little bit when I can afford it. I am doing the math and running them like I have them is the only way I can get in between 2 to 4 ohmns. How bad is it to run it the way I am? What is causing the issue. I would think that the second tweeter would just be really filtered? What I mean by clipping is that at high volumes the amp turns off for a few seconds until I turn it down.
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Depending on the frequency, your amp is seeing an 8 ohm load per channel. You need to parallel the speakers to achieve a 2 ohm per channel load. This may give you the volume you desire.
What does the frequency have to do with the ohms? Here is a picture of how I have it wired. It should be at 4 ohms. my amp is clipping, possibly tweeters? -- posted image.
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
K is for kicker and a is for alipine and all speakers are 4 ohms.
tbone660 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
yo lil nicky.....ohm and frequency do have a direct correlation
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
tbone660 wrote:
yo lil nicky.....ohm and frequency do have a direct correlation
What is it? I have never heard of that before?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
If you are running the wrong impedance off a passive crossover, (and you are...) then you are DRASTICALLY affecting the actual crossover points! You'll have a doubling of crossover frequency in one direction, and a halving of the crossover frequency in the other direction. What I mean is this: if the crossover is 3500Hz at 4 ohms, then on the high-pass side, you're actually passing 1750Hz and up, and on the low-pass side, you're passing 7kHz and down! Your amplifier could be seeing well under 2-ohms between 1750Hz and 7kHz! Not to mention the EXTREME risk of popping your tweeters for the simple fact that you're crossing them WAY below their recommended crossover points!
Get those extra speakers off the output side of the crossovers, now, post-haste, and immediately! You are running in a very bad situation, and you'll have problems, and soon!
BTW... That PA amplifier will probably NEVER run 540WRMS per channel. If you're getting half that, I'd be surprised. What's the exact model number? NM... Just multiply the fuse value by 14.4, then multiply by 66%. Now, divide by 2. THAT is how much power that amp can make, realistically, and 2X that for PEAK output! Engine running. Less than that for engine off situations...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tbone660 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
ever think about running tweets off head unit and amp on doors??
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic