icon

rotary headlight switch wanted

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steve392 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for a rotary-style headlight switch for my street rod project, but can't seem to find one. I want a switch for interior/dome light, parking/tail, and headlights. I want to turn the switch counterclockwise for the dome lights, and then have two positions clockwise for the parking/tail and headlights. So, it would be an on-off-on-on switch.
I looked through the Cole-Hersee catalog and also the Indak switch catalog and can't find one that will do the job.
Any recommendations on where I can find a such a switch style?
This doesn't have to be a high amperage switch, since I'll have relays to take the high-current loads.
Thanks,
Steve
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
Any 4 position rotary switch. Single pole if you add diodes, dual pole if not.
Use relays for the parkers and headlights.
The dome probably won't need a relay depending on the lamp load and switch rating though I'd probably use one (so lamp loads or faults don't burn out the switch leaving you headlightless.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

it would kind suck to have to turn the exterior lights off to turn the interior light on. not very handy goin down the road at night. LOL

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Short of an OEM headlamp switch that has 2 pull out positions as well as the rotary, to dim the dashlamps and then when rotated fully it would turn on the overhead, I can not think of any rotary switch that will work for you.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hence my attempted suggestion of a typical rotary switch, but that certainly won't drive headlights and probably not parkers - hence it needs relays.
And tho I agree that the interior lights should be on an independent circuit (unless position #5 is headlights & interior), diodes can be used for the position #3 headlights and parkers, else a dual-pole rotary used.
However thought should be given to whether each position is to constant 12V, or ACC or IGN +12V.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
I can't think of any kind of rotary switch that will do what he needs.  At least being able to turn domelight on without having to turn headlamps off. 
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed, but steve392 describes EITHER interior else parkers or headlights (or off). Hence itsyuk's it sucks comment (which I agree with - the interior lighting should be independent for various reasons).
steve392 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Okay...Been reading your responses...I understand about not being able to turn dome/interior lighting without turning off the other light circuits. So, let's take the dome/interior circuit out and put that on a separate circuit.
Now, if I'm using a SP3T switch (such as Cole-Hersee #72171-01, or SPDT #72151-01) and I have the park/tail/instrument lights on in position 1, and the headlights on in position 2, then I would only need one diode between the position 1 and position 2 terminals with cathode side connected to position 1? This would keep the position 1 park/tail/instrument circuit from back-feeding the position 2 headlight circuit, yet enable position 2 to still energize the park/tail/interior lights?
I'm using a Painless Wiring harness that provides unswitched (constant) +12v from the fuse block.
I hope this explanation is clear, I'm not an electronics guy as you can tell....
Thanks
Steve
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
So you are not using relays?
I'd suggest relays so that you can then use smaller switches, less & smaller wiring in the cabin else to the dash etc, and diodes that do not have to carry the full light current and add voltage drops (probably of ~1V).
steve392 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
I will be using relays, I just didn't mention them in my post. I will use relays for park, tail, and headlight circuits. The rotary switch will just control coil circuits (terminals 86 & 85) of each individual relay.
So....Will one of the switches mentioned above work okay? I picked them because of their relatively small size. Will one switch be better than the other or is there some other brand I should look at? How about the diode setup? Any recommendation on specific diode?
Thanks....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic