spall door locks with dual swithches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jr789 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hi
I have a question and hope someone can give me a definitive answer to this problem.
       I have a 1988 f150 and decided to install Spall aftermarket door locks , there are only a left and a right unit. I got the brilliant idea to install the spall door lock switches one for each side, the switches are 2 wire and the system was designed to have one master switch for the driver. I bought and installed a switch on both doors, after consulting a friend they advised me to take my two hot wires from the drivers powered up actuator and connect them to the two respective wires on the passenger side actuator , there by the master (drivers) switch would always override the passenger switch but the passenger could still actuate the passengers side. The end result is that they are now dependent on each other rather than the master overriding the passengers side.
Can someone walk me through this ?
Your help is greatly appreciated
     Thanks
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I would wire the actuators as shown in the following diagram and parallel the two switches. The switches do not need to be isolated.
spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image.
Thank you for your help ,
This system does not have relays it is just like the photo attached, the switches are attached inline to the brown & purple wires, in this harness, all of the wires respectively go to the same module. Ie . All browns are connected , all purples are connected. Does this mean i will need to wire install relays? Still confused.
Thanks spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
the relays are in the control box/module at the top of the picture.
if the actuators you have have five wires, you should be able to disconnect the three position connectors at each and wire your switches in there. those three wires lead to a switch in the actuator to allow central locking by the front doors.
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Still a little confused , as stated earlier each switch is wired in line of the three wire part of the harness. As it is by design the system is made to have only a master switch for the driver but i would like the passenger to be able to lock and unlock their side without it effecting the master on the drivers side while the master still being able to override the passengers.
     Note: in my situation there are only two actuators.
Can someone if possible draw it out? Still confused.
Thanks for everyone's help
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

jr789, this will do what you described. Please pay attention to the direction of the diodes in this diagram (cathode sides toward driver's side switch outputs).

spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image.

spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks 12volt. Does this change how the diodes need to be wired? spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image.
the12volt 
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
In order to control the actuators as you described, you will need to wire everything as shown in my last diagram using four SPDT relays and two 1 amp diodes. The relay module that came with your kit will not be used. Only two wires from each actuator will be used.
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Thanks 12 volt , i get it , guess I'll stay with the existing setup.But you have shed some light on this mystery.
One more question with the existing system can a remote door lock system be added? Will there be any specific problems i may run into on this type of system opposed to a factory setup? And is there a recommended remote lock system?
Thanks again for your help spall door locks with dual swithches -- posted image.
the12volt 
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome jr789. If you connect it all as shown in the last diagram you posted, it will be very easy to add a remote door lock system (keyless entry) by tapping into the brown and purple leads coming from the switch. Any reputable brand unit will work just fine.  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic