infinity sound system and new kenwood hu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steenm 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Guys,
Been searching on this topic for the past two days. Need to narrow it down to hopefully someone that has experienced not only the same thing, but in the same vehicle.
I am trying to resolve an extremely frustrating situation. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram with the Infinity Speaker Package. Installed the radio with the suggested CHTO-013BB from Best Buy. Installed all the wired connections per the Axxess instructions and the Kenwood DDX470 installation manual. Once installed the head unit powers on, but I get no sound from any source (Radio, CD, Bluetooth, Aux, etc.), even no touch screen selection beeps from the head unit. After my discovery, I reinstalled the stock unit and all works as it should. My conclusion is that I am not getting a proper AMP-TURN ON signal to the factory amps which is exactly why I bought the CHTO-013BB. When looking at the stock wiring diagram (attached), I appears that the CHTO-013BB sends a signal through the rear speakers outputs? Is that correct? Is the factory remote turn on signal from the CAN-BUS+ (pin 5)? There is nothing hooked to that wire from the CHTO-013BB.
I’ve attached some pictures for reference. Has anyone come across this problem yet?
infinity sound system and new kenwood hu -- posted image.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
you should only hook up a pair of speaker wires, i think its the radios front outputs to the rear inputs, white to green and grey to purple. the other speaker wires should be capped off on both ends. the amp turn on should be through the can bus system, the red wires are only to turn the aftermarket radio on. also i dont see why you would have the brown mute wire hooked up
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply. I was merely following the instruction manual which I foolishly relied on to be accurate. I even called Metra this morning (yes, they are open on Sunday)and the guy is telling me I might have a faulty unit?!
As far as the speaker leads, I understand what you are saying about the factory amp getting power through the CAN BUS system. I traced the wiring in my service manual and it does appear that the amp gets powered on through the rear speakers? Is that correct? So what you are saying is hook up the Kenwoods front speaker outputs to the rear inputs on the CHTO-013BB? And then cap of the rears on the Kenwood and the fronts on the module?
I tried both ways with the mute soldered and also disconnected.
Please let me know if I understand you correctly.
Thanks again...
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
make sure the blue/white on the kenwood has measures 12 volts when the headunit is on and connected to the interface.
mark
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
This seems to be much deeper than just a remote wire which is connected and getting 12v when turned on. I have gotten one step further. I got sound by having the truck running with the stock radio. Had the volume at 75% and all faders and balancers at (0). Let it play for about a minute. While the truck was running I disconnected the stock radio and plugged in the Kenwood.. VOILA!! SOUND and full functionality. Let it play for about 10 minutes. .. shut truck off and restart... no sound! wth!?!?!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
It is a remote wire issue.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on how to resolve the remote not turning on the factory amp? Should I try connecting 12v switch to blue/white wire on metra adapter?
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on how to resolve the remote not turning on the factory amp? Should I try connecting 12v switch to blue/white wire on metra adapter?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
The reason it works like that is because the factory radio is telling the amplifier to turn on. It will remain on until the key is turned off.
If you are sure there is 12v on the remote wire, I am thinking you may have a bad harness.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Gotchya. Ok.. I am going to go out and put the multimeter on the stereo side again and get a reading off the blue/white. I will come back and give you exact or range of voltage.
As far as being a bad harness, I guess it's possible. But I went to Best Buy today and they were cool enough to swap out the module for me. I will also ohm out all my connections and let you know. Any other ideas? How about Metra just being crap? Should I return and go with the PAC RP4-CH11?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic