icon

infinity sound system and new kenwood hu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steenm 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Confirmed 11.81volts on the remote side of the head unit when powered on. Ohmed out from the head unit, to the module, other side of the module and to the factory harness plug. All connections show infinity. I don't get this. Been doing stereos for myself for over 20 years... not supposed to be this difficult!! Unless anyone else has any ideas.. I guess I will get on the phone with Metra again tomorrow and if they can't resolve it, return it at Best Buy and try my luck with the PAC RP4-CH11.
infinity sound system and new kenwood hu - Page 2 -- posted image. infinity sound system and new kenwood hu - Page 2 -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using the steering wheel controls? If not, the C2R-CHY4 is a less expensive option.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
So I talked to their main tech at Metra/Axxess today after waiting on hold for about 45 minutes. In the database there are notes that state that in 2007-2008 Dodge produced two types of amplifiers for the Infinity Sound Systems. The CHTO-01 only works on ONE of them and NOT the other. I asked if there was a way to tell which amp I have, he said there was no way. He said the only thing I could do is use the Bypass Harness (70-6514) or "physically" bypass the amp all together and tap into the speaker leads coming out of the amp. He said the "physical" option could be PIA unless you take apart just about the whole dash.
After I got completely disgusted I called PAC Audio based out of Clearwater. They have the RP4-CH11 or the C2R-CHY4 which they do not have any notes in their database about not being compatible.
Now I am wondering if I should gamble with the PAC product and see if it works (which I always thought to be subpar of Axxess) OR just bite the bullet and see what it sounds like getting powered from the Kenwood Head unit?? I guess if it's not enough for me I could always add on a small 4-CH amp. What a nightmare!!!
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have the mute wire hooked up?????? By the pictures it sure looks like it and that needs to be cut out.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
PAC is all i really like to use, those axxess pieces tend to have things wrong with them fresh out of the box, i find that PAC is just more reliable and better with their compatibility. with that said, not that you mention about having two different factory amps during those years, i remember a while back i installed a nav unit into a chrysler pacifica with just the base system but still had an amp and i could not find any plug at all that would work in that car. i ended up running all new wires to each speaker from the new radio and it sounded fine. sometimes they really done make an adapter that works and you might be unlucky enough to have one of those problem factory systems.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
buddholly wrote:
Do you have the mute wire hooked up?????? By the pictures it sure looks like it and that needs to be cut out.
Tried it with and without it hooked up, along with the remote amp wire (blue/white) on the HU hooked up to the blue/white on the axxess interface and also the Remote Amp AND the Power Antenna spliced together and hooked into the blue/white on the interface side too. Same results.
soundnsecurity wrote:
PAC is all i really like to use, those axxess pieces tend to have things wrong with them fresh out of the box, i find that PAC is just more reliable and better with their compatibility. with that said, not that you mention about having two different factory amps during those years, i remember a while back i installed a nav unit into a chrysler pacifica with just the base system but still had an amp and i could not find any plug at all that would work in that car. i ended up running all new wires to each speaker from the new radio and it sounded fine. sometimes they really done make an adapter that works and you might be unlucky enough to have one of those problem factory systems.
Thanks.. that make me feel a little better. I like the fact that the PAC device recognizes that the vehicle doesn't make use of the aftermarkets front speaker leads and sends the signal through the rear speakers leads to turn on the factory amp. Seems like it is a totally different product, not just a name change. Hope it works. Ordered it last night off of fleebay cause no local installers stock a bunch of PAC audio stuff. Will give it a whirl when it comes in. If that doesn't work, looks like I'm gonna have to bypass that thing and install all aftermarket.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
The PAC C2R-CHY4 just came in. Installed it. Same results. The amp must be bypassed, end of story.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
If the amp comes on with the factory radio, it does not need to be bypassed.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
You can use a metra 70-8901 at the factory amp to grab your speaker wires.
steenm 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
If the amp comes on with the factory radio, it does not need to be bypassed.
i am an idiot, I appreciate the feedback. However, keep in mind I spent time on the phone with Metra themselves who had noted in their database that there were two types of Infinity Amplifiers produced in 2007-2008. One of them works with their harness (CHTO-02), and the other does not at all. When asked how do I tell what kind of amp I have, they said there is no way of telling. Do I find that hard to believe?... Yes. Do I find it odd that there is not a SINGLE thread anywhere else about this online?... YES. Will my amp turn on with either of the TWO kits I got from Best Buy?... NO. Will it even work after purchasing Metra's competitors kit from PAC, the C2R-CHY4?.. STILL NO! So in conclusion and from days of personal experience.. the amplifier indeed will need to be bypassed.
buddholly wrote:
You can use a metra 70-8901 at the factory amp to grab your speaker wires.
buddholly, pretty cool. Looks like you unplug the factory plug going to the amp and plug this into the harness side and then splice wire leads back to the deck. Would've been cheaper than the bypass harness and probably neater, especially with some 9 conducter audio pipe. Oh well.. hopefully bypass comes in today so I can put this to bed.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic