icon

myth on soldering!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techker 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
notice that every city hase it one litle tricks...
one solders and one puts but conectors....
as long as the job is well done thats all that counts.
we should post pics of bad installs!maybe that would wake people up a bit!
techker
http://ca.geocities/future_tech2003
Two_Cold 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
I read here a while ago that someone recommended soldering, then a dap of silicone and electrical tape. That way the joint is secure, insulated and the tape wont come off.
I tried it and now I do all my wiring this way. No matter who owns the car. I use a small butane torch to solder and it is amazing how tight of spaces you can get into with a small torch.
BTW, when soldering under the dash, solder smoke rises. So how are you breathing it in?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Well at least whenever I do it, I'm within a couple of feet from where I'm soldering, and even though the smoke rises, I can still breathe it in.  Basically the force of me breathing it in is stronger than the force of whatever physical phenomenon it is that causes smoke to rise (and not fall or stay level) in the first place.  That's the best way I can explain it.

Mostly though the inhalation seems to happen when you put the soldering iron down while preparing the next connection, etc, and there's still solder burning on the tip.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
techker 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2003 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
nice work,but how long could it take to do a radio?
find,solder,silcone,tape....wow!
must work by the hour to do that,not by car!
but it is still the best way to do it...good job...
myth on soldering! - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Two_Cold 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2003 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Since I use the torch I get very little smoke. I forgot that an iron smokes after the work is done. I tend to keep it as far from my face as possible, since the torch is smaller than soldering iron I am better able to do that.
I know it sounds like alot of work, but I've gotten fast. The actual solering is much faster as the torch instantly heats the wires and the solder flows on in about 1 second. I put the silicone on from a tube right away and tape it up.
I wish I could find the original discussion post on this issue. I was skeptical too, until I tried it.
I doubt I am as fast as the pros here though. I just do the work on the side. Mostly alarms and starters, some lights and stereos. I can do a full remote start/alarm in about 4-5 hours.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic