Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have now done the following
1. Put the key in the ignition and start the jeep
2. Quickly pushed and held the control center button on the antennae for the remote starter, waiting for the blue LED. It illuminated solid blue
3. Released the control center button
Immediately after releasing the control center button the parking lights flashed twice. The LED turned off. Does this confirm the tach has been learned?
I then turned the jeep off, and finally attempted a remote start.
The outcome is still the same, identical in every way to the 8 steps described in my previous post.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
A bit more information:
I disconnected the purple heavy gauge starter wire from the yellow starter wire on the ignition harness. I connected the positive on the volt meter up to the purple wire, grounded the negative, and triggered the remote starter.
The viper troubleshooting says I should see a voltage jump 2 seconds after the remote start becomes active
I did not see any increase in voltage.
I removed the connector I installed on the end of the wire to rule that out, clamping the volt meter directly onto the purple wire. Same result.
I checked the grey/black wire on the 24pin connector of the remote starter (-) diesel wait to start is not touching anything - apparently if it detects a ground the starter won't crank.
I checked the 30amp fuses. Though there is not one on the purple starter wire, the others appear intact.
I still have no tach wire connected anywhere, and the menu option is set to Option 4 Tachometer.
There are a series of other steps I'm quite unsure about:
5. "Is the vehicle a Chrysler or GM with a multiplexed starter wire? The vehicle will not crank if the resistance is incorrect on the multiplexed accessory/starter wire" I don't know how to check this
8. "Make sure the purple starter wire is connected on the starter side of the optional starter/kill/anti-grind relay" I don't know what this is - I've seen no mention of such a relay in any reading/research I've done
9. "Does the vehicle have an immobilizer? Yes Some immobilizer systems will not allow the vehicle to crank if active" Again, no research I've done on people installing the 5704 into a Jeep Grand Cherokee mention such issues
Any other ideas on how to get the voltage to come from the purple starter wire as expected?
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
How do you have the heavy gauge wires connected from the Viper unit? All the heavy red wires are connected to a 12 volt constant correct? That includes, red, RED / black, and RED / white.
Also, did you plug in the neutral safety toggle killswitch and its set to "ON"?
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the neutral safety killswitch is plugged in.
Currently I have the following heavy gauge wires from the remote starter's 10pin:
H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT   - DBALL's pink ignition input is T'd into this and plugged into dark blue on the ignition harness
H3/2 RED / WHITE (87) FLEX RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) - not used
H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT - plugged into BLACK/ orange on ignition harness
H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL) - plugged into yellow on ignition harness
H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL) - not used
H3/6 RED IGNITION 1 +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) - not used
H3/7 PINK/WHITE (30) FLEX RELAY OUTPUT (car side of ign, acc or starter wire) - not used
H3/8 PINK/BLACK (87a) FLEX RELAY INPUT (key side of ign, acc or starter wire if needed) - not used
H3/9 RED / BLACK ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) - not used
H3/10 NC No Connection
> That includes, red, RED / black, and RED / white.
To answer this directly, no, none of those on the 10pin heavy gauge connector are connected to anything.
On the 10pin connector (see above)
- I have the purple starter
- I have the pink ignition
- I have the orange accessory
On the 6pin main connector
- I have the red 12v constant input plugged into red constant 12v on the ignition harness
- I have the black grounded
On the 24pin connector
- I have the pink H2/17 ignition 1 output connected to the heavy gauge ignition H3/1 ignition 1 input/output.
- I have the black white H2/13 neutral safety grounded.
- I have the H2/20 brown connected to the brake pedal switch
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
And that's your answer!!!
You still need to POWER UP RED, RED / WHITE & RED / BLACK
Tach will be delivered by the DB-ALL as you just proved.
Test before boxing up.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
Also, does the Jeep have a 2nd ignition wire or 2nd accessory wire? If so, you need to hook it up so everything is powered on. I did an alarm/remote starter install on a '04 Grand Cherokee a few years ago and it was a pretty straight forward install.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
IT WORKS!
What an odd sense of embarrassment and happiness at the same. I regret not posting my list of connections from the get go, and am extremely grateful to you guys for helping me through this. I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how the starter expected the 12v power to be routed to it. The additions of the 3 heavy gauge wires into the 12v constant on the Jeep are a no-brainer in retrospect.
I wired the following into the red 12v constant on the ignition harness
H3/2 RED / WHITE (87) FLEX RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
H3/6 RED IGNITION 1 +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
H3/9 RED / BLACK ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
these were in addition to the red 12v constant input I already had connected from the 6pin main connector/harness.
I have a few follow-up questions:
1. Again, the tach setting is Tachometer, Option 4 in Menu 3, Feature 2. I had to hard-wire the tach wire on the 24pin starter connector to the tach wire on the DB-ALL2 in order to get the Jeep to fully start. Without this connection the Jeep would turn over but not fully start. Should I leave this setting and hard-wired tach connection, or undo this and change the tach setting in the Viper menu?
2. godd dan it mentions a 2nd ignition wire or 2nd accessory wire. You can see here that I do have a (+) BLACK/ ORANGE on the Jeep's ignition harness for Accessory 2. What wire on the 10pin heavy gauge harness should be connected to this? Do I need to change any set Options in the Viper menu for this?
3. Rear Defroster: harryharris mentioned connecting the H2/3 WHITE/ BLUE (-) 200mA 2nd STATUS/REAR DEFOGGER OUTPUT wire to the DBALL2. I'm unsure which wire on the DBALL2 I need to connect this to. Any ideas?
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
2nd. ACC:-
Pink/white heavy gauge harness to ACC 2.
You can program it from IGN 2 to ACC 2, menu 3, feature 8, option 2.
Rear Defrost:
I did it old school on a Liberty.
Find the "hot" wire at the window.Trace back to vehicle front.
At the front of vehicle cut that wire then using a 5 pin automotive cube relay,
WHITE/ blue from the 24 pin plug to 85
Fused 30 amp source to 86 and 87
Front end of cut wire to 87a
Rear (window) end to 30.
Menu 3 feature 11 option 2.
Test before boxing up.
reopfd4mwtnmq77 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
I'm nearing the end of this project, and then I'll make a final post to this thread outlining everything I've done for other DIY'ers out there.
First I'm hoping for a bit of help troubleshooting. It seems disconnecting the battery causes the remote starter to lose it's selected feature options and learned tach.
Some Quick Facts
- For the last 3 days everything has been working great.
- My driver door for the duration of this project has had no power to it. I lock and unlock this door manually.
The Issue
Yesterday I had the battery disconnected for 5-6 hours while I installed a subwoofer. Since then, the remote starter
1. does flash the parking lights when locking/unlocking the vehicle
2. does not beep the horn once to confirm it's been armed
3. does appear to arm the anti-theft on the starter. The LED on the control center blinks, but the light in the dash for the factory anti-theft does not blink.
4. does not lock or unlock the vehicle. There is no audible attempt by the car to perform either action at each door.
5. does not remote start the car properly. It turns over but then immediately cuts out 3 times before saying REMOTE START ERROR
6. The arm/disarm door lock/unlock works fine with the factory remote (bypassing the remote starter)
7. A few seconds sending a lock/arm command from the remote starter remote, I get a "door open" error that I've never seen before
I went through the menus and changed the following:
2004 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, Viper 5704 - Page 3 -- posted image.
I tried learning the tach again:
1. start the car manually
2. quickly press and hold the control center button until LED illuminates
3. turn car off
but the LED never lit up.
The Questions
1. What am I doing wrong to re-learn the tach?
2. What should I check to get my arm/disarm & lock/unlock working again?
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
The Viper product retains its memory even when power is disconnected.
I really don't know what to think other than what you might have done over the last few days.
Could you check and I mean properly, remove one at a time and check continuity with a DMM.
Has any of your wiring come adrift?
How did you join your wires?
Test before boxing up.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic