icon

5706v multiple wires, same functions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
1) Enjoy depinning from the 24 pin plug! NOT. Tried it once, such a PITA I now cut the unused to 4" (10cm) and cover them.
2) No idea about that wire NOT used on Euro cars, use 2 x 1N5404 generally on them off the white.
Test before boxing up.
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yes to your last question.
Test before boxing up.
rickalders 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, thought of another question as I was going over my wiring.
Is the alarm's neutral safety switch wire required for an automatic transmission or does the vehicles normal wiring (that would prevent a start if in gear) suffice? I've seen a few write ups here for other vehicles in which people said that was not used and that the wire was only used on manual transmission vehicles. Or is it just a matter of preference?
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
It is. Just connect it to ground.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
rickalders 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much for all your help. Sounds like this should be pretty straight forward.
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
To the best of my memory short of testing every electrical connector to a manual gearbox only Nissan and Subaru have an NSS aka transmission position switch and even then I'd test it before setting up the vehicle as an auto.
Test before boxing up.
rickalders 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle is an automatic. I was just curious if that wire needed to be connected to the neutral safety since most automatics won't start unless in P or N anyway. Seems kind of redundant, but I can totally see the need in a manual transmission. Sounds like in my application, I should just ground it.
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2014 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, the wire has to be connected to ground for the remote start to work. For manual transmissions, this is usually hooked to the handbrake.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
rickalders 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2014 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
I'd just like to say thank you thus far for the continuing help...and ask a couple more questions:
On my truck I have aftermarket actuators currently operated by a single DEI 451M. I'd like to use the AUX 4 output of my new 5706 to provide a second unlock pulse for the passenger door (like the newer OEM alarms).
To make that happen, I think I need to separate the actuators and run each off its own 451M. Then do I connect the lock signal wires (small gauge to 3 pin connector) together and separate the unlock signal wires so the driver is controlled normally and the passenger from the aux 4 output?
Secondly, does the onboard starter relay also serve as a starter kill relay or do I need to add that externally? I see the GWA wire on the main harness and wonder if I need it. I currently have an old alarm and a 30/40A relay the previous owner inserted near the ignition switch. I'm thinking I can just eliminate it when I install the 5706.
rickalders 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2014 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
harryharris wrote:
1) Enjoy depinning from the 24 pin plug! NOT. Tried it once, such a PITA I now cut the unused to 4" (10cm) and cover them.
FWIW, I didn't think it was too bad. Each socket in the connector has a single, small retention tab on the top. I just gently depressed the tab with a tiny screwdriver (a pick or tip of a drywall screw would also work) then gently pulled the wire/socket from the rear of the plug. Really cleaned it up and no worries about inadvertent shorts. They only took a few seconds each.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic