icon

relay behavior

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2014 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
And if anyone wants to know anything about radiated and inductive interference, let me take you back one day to suppressing (or trying t) deal with) a 70s Lotus Europa or nearly any Renault or Fiat in those days, even down to bonding the exhaust!
There's a classic post by Mr. Idiot about finding out about the spike in a painful way.
gargouille 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2014 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hello Folks, the alarm does what it is supposed to do when i push the button, im just worried about the + signal sent back to the cpu of the alarm. that is why i wanted to get rid of that +. i just wanted to be precautious about not frying the cpu. and for the signal sent, one is latch, one is 90 sec timed.
Eric
so, no way to prevent that + effect on the relay? and no danger to cpu?
Eric
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2014 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  
Not if you diode it as shown. Having said that there are two schools of thought, one says modern units are protected internally but I won't take the chance. Done it myself and seen it happen on this site.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2014 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
gargouille - if the alarm output is intended for a relay, it should have its own internal protection - namely a reverse biased diode from that output to its +5V or +12V supply.
As to the +12V on the relay coil, it is +12V because its other end is connected to +12V and no current is flowing.
When you ground that "switched" end, it becomes 0V (GND) and will have a current i flowing thru it's coil resistance R where iR = V = 12V (Ohm's Law), or R=V/i = 12/.2A for 200mA => R = 60A or higher for a current of 200mA or less to flow if 12V. Hence my comment earlier about a relay coil of at east ~70 Ohms or rated for under 200mA at 12V or 13V etc.
Most circuits function that way. A voltmeter will read whatever voltage an open connection is connected to.
An ammeter will act as a short (closed switch) and measure the current (eg, thru the coil).
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic