icon

Splicing Multiple Wires To one

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'm asking this just because I'm curious what you all do and how you handle this. If you have multiple wires, say 3 or 4 12ga wires, you want to solder into one main feed, what is your technique? Do you space out your tie-in points? Do you strip one long section and make all your tie-ins there? Do you wrap them all together around the main feed? What's your preference?
In the past, I've always spaced out my connections, soldering one splice at a time, giving ample time to cool before moving on to the next splice. That way I don't overheat the wire and melt the insulation. I also figure by spacing out my splices, it maintains the flexibility of the wire without creating a point where the conductor might eventually break and fail.
Any pics would be good too. We all love pics! Splicing Multiple Wires To one -- posted image.
TIA
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Splicing Multiple Wires To one -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

Nice soldering work.  Splicing Multiple Wires To one -- posted image.  Your method works well if you have the luxury of access and wire length.  In typical practice

installing a vehicle remote starter, it is only two or three +12V power input wires going to one vehicle +12V supply
wire.  Usually space is very restricted and only a short distance of supply wire is available.  Here is how I do them.

Supply wire.

Supply wire with section of insulation removed.

Supply wire with strands split open for "Poke & Twist".

Branch circuit wires stripped.

Poke & twist.

Soldered.

Taped & secured.  ( Usually heading down the steering column. )

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
On a low current ignition switch,e.g. late Fords, Toyotas I bring the three (Viper) leads to one, solder and sleeve them at one inch intervals.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
I space them out as well on the DEI stuff RED / black into RED / white, then RED / white into red etc couple inches apart. The one thing I miss about avox is the fuses being further down the wire. I used to put all power sources behind one fuse (smaller fuse for data only vehicles of course) and it made things a lot neater because all those connections ended up being taped again up to the fuse holder. Now most of the splices occur further out past the extra layer of protection. I end up making more DEI wires longer as a result. Splicing Multiple Wires To one -- posted image.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with RJ, in fact IMO DEI are making a major mistake with those fuses adjacent to the unit.
Back in the day with Clifford A/Guard and I/Start, you received separate fuses and they were installed adjacent to the source.
In fact for low current I de-pin the heavy duty wires and substitute 10amp cable = 16 gauge US?) I have loads of the right connectors.
The reds get a single 25 amp fuse, I've even gone down to 15 with no problems.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah Having the fuses close to the unit sort of leaves a good bit of wire only protected by the factory fuses, and in some cases only a fusible link. (Wire that melts at a certain temperature). For a while I did solder a new fuse holder at the end but we ran out of avox spare harnesses. When you try to explain that sorta thing to a salesman/parts manager you tend to get just a blank stare. On the low current installs I usually just the 30s in place. I suspect they are just acting as jumpers in most cases anyways. Aside from the old school GM stuff. 50a + on each of 2 10 gauge power wires. You better fuse up and spread that load out lest you have a hot melted mess on your hands. Amazing how much damage a blown 30a fuse can do. When it passes 20 additional amps + than it's rating. You can get a knick in the wire and cause it to pop without much to do other than fix the knick and put a new fuse in, but when them things blow...they BLOW.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
On a low current ignition switch,e.g. late Fords, Toyotas I bring the three (Viper) leads to one, solder and sleeve them at one inch intervals.
Makes sense. There's not a huge current draw from the ignition to justify tying all the constant power feeds in to the power source wire separately.
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Kreg,
Do you always zip tie over the tape like that? Is there a reason? Possibly to protect the sheathing? I've always placed one a couple inches down form the joint, no tape.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
I was taught that way it isn't necessary if you tape over all the wires especially at the ignition.
It's adding mechanical strength to the joint.
My colleague cable (zip) ties ALL the wiring to the alarm brain.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic