the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5906v, Idatalink ADS-ALCA DL-CH5

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeff.w 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2015 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jeff.w
Help!
I have a 2007 Dodge Charger SXT V6 ..I am installing a Viper 5906v, Idatalink   ADS-ALCA DL-CH5 and a HRN-CH5 T-harness.the TYPE6 install for the Idatalink says I don’t have to connect most of the wiring because I used their T harness and the fact that im installing in DATAMODE but the Viper instructions say connect everything. I’m at a point where the alarm works and if I try to start remotely it takes about 1 min then the horn honks once and the lcd on the fob says low battery. It won’t even try to start.
So I have to ask, if im going by DATAMODE do I still have to do anything with H3 connector on the viper unit?
If so then what ones? Are there usable connections in the PSG kick panel?
I really should have taken this in to have it done but I’m hip deep in it now so onward!!.
Thank you
Jeff
Viper 5906v, Idatalink  ADS-ALCA DL-CH5 -- posted image.Viper 5906v, Idatalink  ADS-ALCA DL-CH5 -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2015 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
First, to run in Data Mode or D2D with the Viper requires that the ADS AL-CA be flashed with the DBI flavor of the CH5 firmware.  The standard firmware flash gives you the ADS flavor of firmware and it can't communicate with the Viper.
Soldering is fun!
jeff.w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2015 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jeff.w
I checked and found that is what is was flashed to.
Viper 5906v, Idatalink  ADS-ALCA DL-CH5 -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2015 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Excellent!  That's a step in the right direction.

The correct install guide would be # 21669 using the Type 6 diagram.  Here is a link : 

http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-CH5/DBI-AL(DL)-CH5-EN_20150410.pdf

( Sorry, can't get that link to work.  Hopefully you can get it directly from the iDatalink WEB site.)

All of the Red dashed line connections are made via the D2D harness.  Aside from connecting the ADS HRN CH5 harness,

there are basically 6 connections that must be made.  These are shown in Black solid lines. 

Viper thick Pink goes to the WHITE/ Red wire at the F plug of the ADS HRN CH5 harness.

Viper Red and Red go to vehicle +12V constant.
Viper Black goes to vehicle chassis ground.
ADS HRN CH5 J plug Purple wire goes to Pink/DkGreen @ vehicle ignition harness.
ADS HRN CH5 J plug GREEN/ Red wire goes to PURPLE / Brown @ vehicle ignition harness.

Additionally, the Viper siren would have to be installed and connected. 

Viper programming would include :
Menu 3, Item 1 to Option 2.
Menu 3, Item 2 to Option 4.
Plus, perform the Tach Learn Process.

Soldering is fun!
jeff.w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2015 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jeff.w
Thank you for the reply. I have confirmed the connections and programmed the options then learned the tach signal now i get the msg low tach signal i rechecked the learn tach procedure but now im stuck.
kreg357 
Posted: June 06, 2015 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

The tach signal is generated by the ADS AL CA via it's connection to the vehicles CAN system and supplied to the Viper

over the DBI communication in the D2D harness.  Should be that simple and it should work.

While I'm not a Viper installer, my understanding is that the Viper will look for a Tach signal on the D2D input automatically

and switch to Engine Checking = Tach if the signal is found.  To be on the safe side, I would verify that the Viper is programmed
to Engine Checking = Tach.  I have a BitWriter so the programming is easy and verifiable.

Another way would be to manually run a hardwire connection between the ADS AL CA PURPLE / White Tach Output wire to the

Viper's Violet/White Tach Input wire.   Then do the Tach Learn process again.   That will eliminate any D2D issues with the
Tach signal.

Another option :  Verify that your Charger has "one-touch" starting.  That is where a quick turn of the key to the START

position and release will start the engine.  The car's computer will crank the starter long enough, no need for the key to
be held in the START position.  If that is the case, you can program the Viper to Engine Checking to Off and set a fixed
crank time of 2 seconds.  See Menu 3, Items 2 and 3.  You will, however, lose the Vipers "Over-Rev" protection during
remote start run time.  Not a big issue, but you should be forewarned.

I'm not a big fan of D2D and still go W2W just like this old 2006 - 2007 Charger Pictorial shows :

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=132847

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2015 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Warning guys, DEI just published a heads up ref. tach outputs. If Kreg's hints above don't work run H2 violet/white on the Viper directly to a tach signal on an injector (any non common coloured wire).
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2015 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
This:-
Known Solutions:
Make the analog (wired) tachometer connection to the remote starter and program tach. The parking lights should flash once (x1) upon releasing the valet/program switch to confirm a wired tach connection has been learned. If the parking lights flash twice (x2), uncheck the "RS-Request RPM" box in your interface module's D2D Options configuration page on the web, click "Save" or "Flash" and retry the tach learning procedure.
Until the fix is deployed into production units, please use the method(s) outlined above, or an alternative engine checking method such as Virtual Tach.
If you have any questions, please locate Tech Bulletin #118
on Directechs in "resources", contact technical service
at (800) 753-0800 via phone, or live chat on www.directechs.com.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2015 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Oops just realised we aren't using a DB-ALL, sorry, it is midnight here but my other suggestion re hard wiring the tach still stands.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic