the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 Ram Diesel Remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rayacain90 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Good Morning,
I just recently installed an Avital 5303L remote start in a 2008 Dodge Ram Diesel. Everything seems to work fine except for the starting part. When I press the remote start button I can see the ignition go to "ON" but it does not even try to crank.
I have a couple ideas on what the issues might be but I need help in determining it.
I know the Chrysler vehicle have the immobilizer system and the key has to be in the ignition, until I get the bypass module which is on the way. So, the question I have about that is, does anyone know if it can be remote started with the key in the ignition without the bypass module? Or does it HAVE to have the bypass module to start remotely? Of course having the key in the ignition is not what I intend to do but I am trying to troubleshoot it until the bypass arrives.
Also, I tapped into the Tach wire off the ECM. Going by the factory service manual I got the right wire. Looking online though I saw a trustworthy site mention that on diesels specifically it was pin 24 on the 60 pin connector. With the engine running should I see a rise in voltage on that wire when it revs? Does it need to receive a signal on that wire to remote start?
Once I get this together and worked out I plan to do a full write up on it since the instructions that came with it aren't very helpful and I had to scour the internet for bits and pieces to help me out.
Thanks for the help!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

I don't want to assume anything here so I will ask probably dumb questions. 

First off, placing the key in the ignition switch ( but not turning it ) is a good way to verify the remote start  install before

adding in the bypass module.

Next comes the trucks ignition wires.  The only wire you will directly apply power to is the Ignition wire.  So Viper thick

Pink IGN1 to RAM thin Pink/White.

The rest is handled by the trucks PURPLE / Brown wire in MUX fashion.  For this, you will follow the DEI Tech Tip 1084.

Here is a link :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=517

Here is the diagram with the variables filled in :

2008 Ram Diesel Remote start -- posted image.

Did you do this circuit?

For the Diesel Tach wire, here is some info from ReadtyRemote  :

On diesel models, the Tach wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, front 60 pin plug, pin 24,
or at the camshaft position sensor just left of the ECM, in a 3 pin plug.

Sounds like you have the correct wire.  To verify this wire, connect a Digital Multi Meter as follows :

DMM set to 20V AC.  Red test lead to the suspect wire.  Black test lead to solid chassis ground or Negative battery
terminal.  With engine idling, you should see 1 to 5 volts.  This voltage should rise slightly with added RPM's. 

Did the Avital successfully perform the Tach Learn?

Soldering is fun!
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Thanks for the reply!
You assume correct because those aren't dumb questions for me!
This is my first major electrical install in the automotive area.
So, I had thought of placing the key in the ON position and trying from there but I didn't want to risk damaging anything. Now that it seems that's safe to do I will do that.
As far as the 12v constant. The ignition wire is the only one that I supplied 12v to.
When building that circuit I followed the instruction for splicing in the Satellite Relay Terminal. Looking at it it looks like how I wired it up. I'm not 100% sure those resistors are present on those grounds however since it is all internal. I can do some testing when I get home.
"On diesel models, the Tach wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, front 60 pin plug, pin 24,
or at the camshaft position sensor just left of the ECM, in a 3 pin plug."
I saw that same thing on one website. However looking at the FSM and seeing a couple posts by Dodge techs the correct pin is 37 on the connector. Pin 24 in the FSM for the 6.7L is labeled Engine Cooloant Temp.
I did put a DMM on it and it was resting at 3.5v when idling. However it did not raise when the rpm's increased. I also just noticed that the voltage is AC not DC and that may have effected it since the MM was set to VDC I will try that test again.
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Yes, according to the LED it did learn the tach signal.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Those relays for the PURPLE / Brown MUX wire are external, extra relays that you supply.  I'm not a DEI user and not real familiar with the 5303L R/S, but if it has an external satellite relay pack, those relays are all +12V outputs and wired that way.  Probably take a bit of re-wiring to change the Starter and Accessory relay over to the (-) plus correct resistance output needed for the trucks MUX wire.  Notice that in the diagram above that the relays output is Chassis Ground through the resistor.  Not a positive voltage through a resistor.

All this might be somewhat moot.  Most of the newer bypass modules for this application do not need external relays for the MUX wire.  They have that function built-in.  What bypass module did you order?

If you want to start it up, try this :  Get a 180 ohm 1/4 watt resistor some wire and alligator clips.  An alligator clip on each end of the wire with the resistor in the middle, nicely soldered.  Connect one alligator clip to solid chassis ground.  Put the key in the ignition cylinder but don't turn it.  Hit the remote start button.  Wait until the instrument cluster lights up and then touch and hold the other end of the alligator clip to the PURPLE / Brown wire until the engine cranks and starts, then remove the alligator clip.  That's with a warm engine because you aren't doing a delay for the glow plugs to warm things up...

Soldering is fun!
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
I ended up ordering the XK09 off Bulldog Security.
I decided not to deal with the wait-to-start feature at the moment. There is no wire going to the instrument cluster for the wait-to-start light. I believe the ECM just sends pulses over the CAN bus to tell it when to turn on/off. For the moment i'm just going to use the delay start feature. I do believe however that I can just tap into the low current side of the relay that activates the grid heater (glow plugs). Since it has voltage when the light is on and goes to ground when the light is off.
kreg357 
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

The XK09 module flashed with the Chrysler v3.02 firmware will handle the MUX ignition wire, no need for external

relays & resistors and the Tech Tip 1084 diagram.  The XK09 will also handle the transponder bypass and the
locks/factory alarm.  Just follow the Type 3 wiring diagram and you are all set.  Not sure if the XK09 can supply a
Tach signal on a diesel.

You can program the 5303L for a fixed 15 second start delay for the glow plugs if you don't want to go through

the trouble of wiring up a WTS input signal.

Might as well wait for the XK09 because the wiring you have done will change with the addition of the bypass module.

Soldering is fun!
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2016 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
That's what I was planning to do, wait until I get that wired up.
I think I can get the tach figured out. As long as i'm sure I get the right wire.
I'll probably try and get the wait to start hooked up down the road though. Just to have it functional.
Thanks for all the help!!
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
I got the XK09 in and out of the box. Looking through the instructions that came with it it looks pretty easy to wire up. However, it's instructions and the 5303 instructions doesn't say this but I get a feeling I don't use the "Heavy gauge relay satellite terminal" box at all????
Can anyone confirm or deny that? I have searched and cant really find anything.
Thanks!
kreg357 
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

First, make sure the XK09 was flashed with the 9.Chrysler v3.02 firmware.  The XK09 can be flashed with many different

firmwares, depending on the vehicle application.

As for using the satellite relay pack, you will need it.  How much you need it depends on whether or not you will be going

D2D or W2W between the Viper and the XK09.  If you decide to go D2D and use the supplied DBI D2D harness between
the two modules, all the dash blue line will be made via the D2D harness.  This will save you some inter-module wiring.
If everything works as advertised. great.  If not, then not so good.  If you decide to go with W2W, then all the necessary
connections must be hardwired.

Anyway, the truck and the XK09 both need to see a (+) Ignition signal.  The XK09 can get it via the D2D harness but you

will have to make a hardwire connection to the truck, as shown in the Type 3 diagram.  If you go W2W, this Ignition wire
and the (+) Starter wire will have to be hardwired as shown.  ( Your truck does not have a separate Starter wire, just the
Starter MUX wire, that is handled by the XK09. )

Remember that the Type 3 diagram is somewhat generic with regards to the Remote Starter.  Some R/S units have

an external relay pack and others don't.  Some have a Neutral Safety wire and others don't.  Your truck has no need
for a Trunk Release or Trunk Trigger Input.  Additionally, the Type 3 Diagram does not show all the necessary wires /
connections.  Notice that the very important (+) Brake wire is not even shown at all.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic