the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote start, 2016 Mustang, manual transmission

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2017 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
I know I know - it's a huge steaming can of worms. But I really miss my combo remstart + alarm, and I want it back.
The new car is a 2016 Mustang with MT...and based upon my research, the tech exists to install a system that will require a few specific pre-exit steps in order to safely arm the system AND prep the car for remstarting. And I'm okay with that. But my local installer says he cannot source the necessary module(s).
Can anyone tell me what is needed, please?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2017 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
some remote starters have specific wiring to install in a manual transmission, most lower end starters dont have these wires. you would need an alarm with a neutral safety wire that must be properly installed to make sure the remote starter cant activate if the car is not in neutral. you will also need to bypass the clutch switch so that the car thinks that the clutch is engaged. and the alarm itself will need to be programmed for being installed on a manual transmission. i think some starters even need the E brake wire to be installed too. i havent installed one in a few years so i dont really have recommendations for which remote starter to get but i know they exist
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2017 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Thanks for answering. Yes - they exist, and I know because there are videos online of the steps needed to double-failsafe the car before walking away. I understand what you've said, but what I need is a manufacturer's p/n...and -- hopefully -- the number of the add-on device (the component that goes into the car in addition to the alarm brain itself)
loganemakf 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loganemakf
I could be wrong, but in 10 minutes of searching I’ve been unable to find either a complete RS wiring guide or a transponder bypass compatible with the ‘16 Mustang so I don’t think you’ll be having much luck for the time being. *Assuming* the ignition could be bypassed the old way (second key in a box... something something... coil of wire), you’d still have the huge task of identifying every necessary wire on your own. That would likely be a daunting task even for an experienced installer, nevermind a first time installer (which I’m assuming is you).
I know it sucks, but at this point your best bet is just to wait for one of the integration companies to divine a bypass solution for your car. By that time, there will no doubt be a complete wiring guide available and the bypass guide sometimes has important information regarding installs in stick shifts anyways. When the time comes, I’d recommend going with a Compustar system; their 7000 controller comes with everything you need for an alarm and/or a manual car (except a bypass and remote kit) and their remotes are great and easy to upgrade later on. With that said, if this is your first install, I’d recommend having it done professionally; I’ve done several cars and more than my fair share of research and I still wouldn’t be comfortable attempting a MT install.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Thank you! Very thoughtful and informative!
I did/do not intend to install it myself. I'd be leery even on a AT, but on a MT - no way.
I know a way to obtain the wiring schematic for this car without difficulty, so that's not an issue, but yes - it's the bypass (is that the correct term for the device that is not the alarm brain?) that seems unavailable.
And I think you're right - I'm gonna have to be patient. Likely (hopefully) one of the big players in the field will release the device that I require.
loganemakf 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2017 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote loganemakf
AT installs aren’t bad if you have good information, know how to test circuits and take your time. All depends on your comfort level; don’t want to be half way into an install and find out you’re way over your head.
Yes, a bypass module is what allows the car to start without the chip/tansponder key in the ignition (whereas, at a basic level, a remote starter can be thought of as what allows the car to start without *turning* the key). Some of them can do other stuff like door locks, factory arm/disarm, door status, and tach through the vehicle’s data bus (full integration modules). If you ever want to check to see if a bypass/integration module exists for your car, check idatalink.com and fortin.ca. You’ll notice that currently idatalink’s lookup tool doesn’t acknowledge the existence of the 2016 mustang while fortin’s results say “no solution”. At some point in the (hopefully near) future, idatalink should have a solution for their ALCA and Blade AL modules and fortin should have one for their evo-all; keep an eye out for those products specifically as some of the others they list will probably be bypass/RS combo units (generally more expensive).
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
yea wow they really dont make a bypass for that mustang yet... so yea you will definitely have to wait on this one. there IS technically a way to work around it but its not something id ever recommend doing to a new car
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Astonishing! The car's been out for three years and nothing?!! That's annoying!
Thank you very much, gentlemen - I will pop into those website from time2time and run a search.
Cheers!
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2017 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Update:
Neither of the suggested websites has delivered a solution that is applicable to my car.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2017 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ronemca
Checked both website again - STILL no joy. Any fresh ideas, gentlemen? Any first-hand experience?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic