the12volt.com spacer
icon

after my screw up, hornet 563t, 98 ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dacker 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2017 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dacker
Ok so moron here hooks a battery up backwards in his 98 Dodge ram a couple months ago. I actually had time to turn the key over and the starter turn over a few times (no doubt turning in reverse probably) before I realized what was going on especially when the cab started filling up with smoke from under the dash. So I get out and jerk the battery cables off and realize what I had done. So now after licking my wounds and replacing all the burned up wires I could find from the electrical control center under the hood back through the firewall and all up behind the dash (mostly ground wires and literally a nightmare!!!) everything is working as it should with the exception of the remote start. The system is a hornet 563t remote start/ security system with the xcrs satellite relay connected with it. (I've learned a majority of these systems are based with directed electronics anyway from what I've found after installing a viper a while back). So everything functions fine on the alarm side of the unit but when I trigger the remote start the lights blink, I hear the fuel pump cycle (as everything should) then nothing.... About 5 or 10 seconds later this process will repeat. I understand that the repeat process is normal when the vehicle fails to crank. So all indications point to I never get a signal to the starter output coming out if the unit. I do remember, along with trying to fix all the other issues it caused, I was was probing with a signal light trying to see if signal was coming out of it after triggering the remote start. I probed one of the heavier wires I forget whether pink or purple (thus grounding that wire) and it started and functioned like it should including dying when I applied the brake. So all that being said what is everyone's thoughts on where to start trouble shooting this? Thanks in advance... Dale
keenxxx 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2017 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote keenxxx
https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/hornet/N563T_09-05.pdf
dacker 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2017 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dacker
Ok I have the manual but thank you... I have checked and all my 12v+ wires are getting power through the fuses and again everything functions as it should but during the cycle 12v never comes to the purple start wire.
keenxxx 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2017 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote keenxxx
dacker wrote:
Ok I have the manual but thank you... I have checked and all my 12v+ wires are getting power through the fuses and again everything functions as it should but during the cycle 12v never comes to the purple start wire.
You should have ignition input @ the green wire as well. If thats ok as well as the remaining inputs & outputs on the 8 pin satelite connector there is a possibility the controller is dead.
tdbaker021 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2017 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdbaker021
Do you have a starter kill relay?
dacker 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2017 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dacker
I have the xcrs relay and there are additional 2 other relays wired into it... I'm assuming those are ignition bypass. I will post some pics when I get home in little while
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2017 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The blk/wht (neutral) wire must be grounded.
The brown wire (brake) can not have 12V on it.
The gray wire (hood) can not be grounded.
You could also use the Shutdown Diagnostics to determine which input is keeping it from cranking.
dacker 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2017 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dacker
after my screw up, hornet 563t, 98 ram -- posted image.
I'm thinking the shutdown diagnostic is gone be the way to go but never the less here are the pics as promised. Sorry for the delay... It snowed in Alabama and you people just don't know the struggle :rolls eyes: lol
dacker 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dacker
Ok so did the shut down diagnostic and it blinked 6 times which indicates (-) h3/4 gray shutdown out h3/3 brown shutdown which is the hood pin or the brake. The brake function worked as it was supposed to not getting 12v until I applied the brake and then shutting down. The hood pin was never hooked up so just to test it I grounded it and the cycle would never even begin so that seemed to be working so we're still at square 1. I can during the cycle ground the Violet wire on the external relay and the truck will crank and the remote start otherwise function like it should so with all the new info what are y'alls thoughts?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Sounds like the low (-) NEG output from the unit isn't working, did you test that thin purple for a NEG output on the start cycle?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic