the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote start cant change settings?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bill7774 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bill7774
Hello all. I am installing a viper 4806V remote starter and a flashlogic flcan module in my 09 VW jetta. I have done two other remote starts without a problem but they where a different brand so the viper and module is a little new to me. When I try to change the settings to use the tachometer or any other function, my changes don't stay. Here is what I'm doing to program. Turn key on then off, hold down valet button until it flashes 3 times (menu 3). Let off the button. Press it twice for the second option. Press and hold, push the lock button until I get 4 flashes (my horn isn't hooked up so I watch for flashes). Let off the valet button. Turn the ignition on then off. If I go back into the process to check I still only have 2 flashes for this menu . I should now have 4. Any suggestions?
Remote start cant change settings? -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2017 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I'm sure someone here can help with programming a Viper via the remotes. But, having just finished a Viper 4105V install, I can reaffirm my decision to buy a BitWriter. It makes life so simple.   Remote start cant change settings? -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
bill7774 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2017 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bill7774
I kinda hate to spend the money for a one time use. Might not have a choice though. I didn't have a problem with the other ones I did so I'm thinking its either defective or I'm doing something wrong on this one. I saw a DEI 998T for close to $100. You think that one would work? There was a newer version BitWriter 2 but that was over $200.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
You should be able to get a 998T NIB for around $70. Programming with the remotes is possible but timing and patience are necessary.
While very slight, there is a possibility that the Viper is locked and you won't be able to change settings unless you have a
BitWriter to unlock it. Were you able to change any settings? If yes, then it isn't locked.
I changed Engine Checking to Tach, Horn Function = 20 mSec, Remote Start Run Time to 16 minutes and Activation Pulse Count = 2 on
both remotes is less than 2 minutes. Can't imagine how long it would have taken me using the remotes.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
The procedure as above is incorrect.
Ign on then off with door open, hold valet button until you get 3 flashes.
Press twice then push button until you get two chirps. Or light flashes*
Now RELEASE Valet button. THEN press lock 3 times.
* No siren? Spend $3on a piezo buzzer from R/Shack etc. or a test light brown to probe, clip end to ground.
bill7774 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2017 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bill7774
Thanks for the info guys. Still having no luck. I might just buy a bitwriter and sell it when I am done. I tried the procedure that way howie II and still had no luck. The manual I found at https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/IG/Viper/N4X06%202015-12%20web.pdf shows the way I was doing it. I had hoped maybe it had a typo.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2017 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
After you get three chirps/lights meaning you're in menu 3, press twice then release button and push and hold until you get two chirps.
Release then use your remote 3 X lock or 1 X unlock.
Note THREE times on the remote NOT 4. Press 4 and you're back to where you started!
bill7774 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bill7774
Not having any luck. Maybe its changing and I don't realize it. I have a manual trans. so I have to do the procedure so it will work. The remote start wont take over. I went back and checked for the error. 3 flashes, meaning low or no tach signal. I checked the tach wire and I'm getting 9 volts ac (changes with acceleration). I also tried to change the setting to auto. trans just to see if I could get it to work. No luck. Still same error (low or no tach signal).
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2017 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
when you program the tach on viper it will switch the brain from virtual tach to the standard hard wire tach/data from module. Start the car, let it run for about 10 seconds, push and hold the programing button, light will dome on and parking lights will flash one. If it doesn't you don't have the right tach wire
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
X 2 with mgoetz74.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic