the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Diesel, Viper 4806V Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
apexautomotive 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2018 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote apexautomotive
Hey Gary, thanks for your input!
I forgot to mention - I can program features just fine. I also turned on Tach Mode (item 2, option 4) in Menu 3. But the damn thing still refuses to learn the tach signal.
I'm wondering if the white/pink I tapped on the main harness is wrong... I'm seeing 12v DC with ignition on, not running.   A true tach signal wire wouldn't show any voltage without the vehicle running right?
UPDATE: For the hell of it I ran it in Virtual Tach mode - works great! However this is a Utah truck and I don't feel like this is good reliable way to run the RS long term. Thoughts??
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2018 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
I don’t want to lead you wrong in that question but as far as I know when you turn the ignition on it energizes the coils and since the engines not running I would think yes you could see 12 volts there. Not positive as I have always tested while running. If when you have the meter et to ac and start your truck at idle it settles in around 3 volts (ish) and goes up when you rev then it should be a good tach wire. That doesn’t tell you how clean the signal is though. I would try getting it at the cluster and if still no success try going tachless and timed wait to start until you can get a module. Off the top of my head also what bypass module did you use? Some of them will give you tach as well.
Gary Sather
apexautomotive 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2018 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote apexautomotive
Went to the cluster and grabbed the tach wire there. The Viper learned the tach signal immediately! Thanks for all your input tonanzith and davep!
This Powerstroke now starts up great in tach mode.
Key points:
If you have a 99-01 7.3 Powerstroke get your tach signal from behind the cluster!
Also, all tech info describes the wire as white/pink, but the wire is more of a tan/off-white color with a pink tracer.
A great place to stick the brain on these trucks is lower brace for the knee panel. I just built a simple ABS bracket for it (this pic is before doing a final clean up on wiring).
2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Diesel, Viper 4806V Install - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic