the12volt.com spacer
icon

1979 Volkswagen Bus, Keyless Entry, Power Windows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jamescourt 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2019 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Hi Iam fitting Central locking and Power windows to an old VW Camper ('79 Bay).
I already have the window motors (BMW) and door actuators (Swiss) which i know will work.
What i need is a 'Remote key fob' type controller to make it all work but Iam having trouble sourcing the parts i will need.
I have looked at various fleabay kits but can't find anything that has similar VW Golf functions
I.e.
1. Press the Lock button once: Lock all Doors
2. Hold the Lock button down: Close the Windows (finger off, window stops. Hold again window starts again).
3. Press the unlock button once: Unlock all Doors
4. Hold the unlock button down: Open the Windows (finger off, window stops. Hold again window starts again).
Does anyone know if a kit like this exists? Or has done something similar?
Thanks
Note:
Lock/Unlock doors is for 3 doors
Power windows is on 2 doors
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2019 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
Are you wanting to interface the keyless system to another system that you have to lock and unlock the doors independently from the keyless system. Such as using relays and interior door switches to control locks?
Do you have window switches and a wiring setup already to roll up/down the windows that you want to tie a keyless system into?
If you are looking for an aftermarket keyless system that will do all of those from one unit, I don’t think you are likely to find such a thing. Some of the ebay/Amazon keyless add-ons may have built in relays to control lock actuators but I’d recommend using heavier duty automotive relays to controls the door locks and then tying the keyless system to interface with it. Otherwise the cheaper smaller built in relays are likely to fail prematurely.
How many buttons are you looking to have on the keyless remotes? I see some inexpensive units on Amazon that have window rollup output when locked but nothing that would make it just like a newer VW car. It would just power a window output wore for 30 seconds on the cheaper add-on systems. The functions you described are pretty complex and designed into the vehicle by the manufacturer. Some more expensive systems can probably do what you are looking for as far as holding buttons to perform other functions such as window roll up/down but they would have to be tied into some other window control system that you’ve designed to operate your window motors. It will likely have more buttons and functionality than you will be utilizing though such as remote start or alarm functions that you could probably omit.
I’m not certain though so others may know of some systems that I’m unaware of but I figured I’d start the conversation and try to get a better idea of exactly what you are planning to use for controlling the stuff you already have.
Steve G
jamescourt 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2019 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Thanks for the reply Steve!
This is what i have so far:
Two BMW window motors which i know will work
Two MES Swiss made door actuators (one 5 wire for drivers door + one 2 wire)
What think I need:
Window switches (double for drivers side + single for passenger)
Window control unit
Door lock control unit
3 button remote control
I suppose asking for something that mimics the VW system is asking a lot but maybe
something like this would be more realistic.
Remote button 1 - Lock Doors, Close windows (+ maybe flash indicators)
Remote button 2 - Unlock Doors
Remote button 3 - Open windows (down until finger released i.e. keep finger on button for fully open)
So far i can see that a DEI 535T could control the windows up/down for two windows?
Iam not interested in an immobiliser alarm or siren as i will wire my own immobiliser switch.
BUT, what RKE system would i need to control this?
iskidoo 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2019 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
I think this would be what I would use as it has a few extra outputs. But it does have an alarm built in. You could use the channel 3 output to control windows down and it would operate while pressed for as long as you pressed the buttons. Looks like pressing lock and unlock simultaneously operates that output. It has immobilizer capability but you can just omit those connections and use your own. Seems to be about $50 on eBay.
https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N412V_01-05.pdf
https://www.viper.com/car/keylessentry/product/211hv/viper-1-way-keyless-entry-system
1979 Volkswagen Bus, Keyless Entry, Power Windows -- posted image.
You could also use a much cheaper chinese unit like FICBOX keyless entry unit but the instructions are somewhat more difficult to understand. This would rollup when ever locked and trunk output could probably be used for roll down but I think it would just be a momentary pulse output and probably not vary with length of time the button is pressed. But I’m not sure of that as I couldn’t get that info from the instructions.
Steve G
iskidoo 
Posted: August 01, 2019 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
Another unit that is pretty much the same with a different brand name on it is this newer Avital unit with black remotes.
Should integrate nicely with the 535T window modules you were wanting to install. Looks to be about $38 on Amazon US.
Avital 2101L Owners Guide
Steve G
jamescourt 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2019 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Steve G,
"Brilliant" thank you so much!
Iam glad to say that I too looked at these two models but found the jargon involved
a bit confusing - hence me posting here.
I also found the Prestige APS45C - what do you think about that one?
Now i just have to find a UK supplier that sells a DEI-535T and one of those remotes....
Thanks again
James
jamescourt 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Ok, I know it's been a while since I started this post but i have only just finished my restoration and I am now in a position to install the power bits.
I have in front of me:
1 x Directed DEI 535T (Windows Automation System)
2 x BMW 2 wire window motors (Drivers and passenger doors)
3 x 5 contact window switches two for drivers side (operate driver and passenger window) + one for passengers side (operate passenger window)
1 x Viper 211HV (1-way keyless entry system)
1 x 5 wire MES Swiss Door Actuator (Drivers side)
2 x 2 wire MES Swiss Door Actuators (Passenger side and Sliding door)
Having searched the forums, I am getting a little confused about how to wire this lot up.
I.e I know the Viper 211HV has built in relays for locks - But then I read that as i was using aftermarket actuators then that denotes I am using Type D which says i should use relays??
And, do I need relays for the DEI 535T or are they built in.
All the mechanical setup is good and i can trigger the locks and windows by providing 12v and earth direct
to each motor/actuator.
I'd really appreciate if someone can help me with this as trial and error often leads to smoke.
regards
James
jamescourt 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Ok, after a lot of searching I think i have an idea of how to wire these up.
The car has never had power windows or central locking so i have purchased the parts at the bottom of this post.
Please can someone just confirm that my wiring makes sense (and is correct)?
1 x Directed DEI 535T (Windows Automation System)
2 x BMW 2 wire window motors (Drivers and passenger doors)
3 x 5 contact window switches two for drivers side (operate driver and passenger window) + one for passengers side (operate passenger window)
1 x Viper 211HV (1-way keyless entry system)
1 x 5 wire MES Swiss Door Actuator (Drivers side)
2 x 2 wire MES Swiss Door Actuators (Passenger side and Sliding door)
All the mechanical setup is good and i can trigger the locks and windows by providing 12v and earth direct
to each motor/actuator but i just need help before i wire it together.
I can link the official Install Instructions if needed.
Many thanks
James
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2020 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
It appears you left off power for the 535T (H1/4, +12V Constant fused at 20A). H1/5 (Ground) is listed twice in the table. Other wiring looks correct.
You may want to consider hooking up parking lights to the Viper 211HV's light flash output (correct polarity for where you are connecting to the parking light circuit).
This will flash the parking lights whenever you lock or unlock the car. This is also a secondary verification that your keyless entry system is receiving your remote signal, and may be helpful
if at some point things don't appear to be working.
Also, if you want to control the windows from the 211HV fob, connect the red/white (H1/18) from the 211HV to the red/white (H2/3) of the 535T.
Lectric Guy
jamescourt 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2020 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jamescourt
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me Lectric Guy!
If I want to have an additional window switch on the drivers side to operate the passenger window, how would I wire that up?
Also, I would like the ability to unlock/lock all doors when I manually pull up/down the drivers side door lock. I thought by installing a 5 wire actuator in the
drivers side door would achieve this, but i don't know how?
I am a bit confused about the function of the Orange wire in my setup (H1/16 on the 211HV to H2/4 on the 535T) as I thought this would allow me to operate the windows
from the Fob? But you say that it is the Red/White (H1/18 on the 211HV to H2/3 on the 535T)?
Thanks
James
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic