the12volt.com spacer
icon

2005 Honda Civic, Remote Start Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kinggeorge3287 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2020 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kinggeorge3287
Hi,
I am trying to install a remote start on a 2005 honda civic LX. I solely doing this for the purpose of Experience and learning. I had an old remote start kit that I purchased from Amazon in 2012 for $22. the model number is (DEI Ready Remote 24921 Car Auto Remote Start System).
From the Honda wiring diagram I see, there is 2 Accessory/heater Blower. How would I wire this? Can I just use on the of the accessory wire or do I need to use both accessories? Do I need to use a relay?
any help in understanding this is much appreciated.
thank you
George
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2020 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Hi George! Welcome to the 12Volt.
The Ready Remote has been out of production for a while. It is a decent unit, but with some limitations.
Here is a link to the install guide :   file:///C:/Remotes2/ReadyRemote/N24921%202011%2011%20web.pdf
I think there is a way to get the Directed Wire Guide for your car from DEI using the UPC code from the 24921 package.
The 24921 can handle your Civics two Accessory wires, no extra relays required. You can use the thick Pink/White wire at H2/5 for ACC2 if you set the units programming properly. See Feature 6, Option 2.
You will also want to program the unit to Continous Parking Light output, Feature 3, Option 2, and Engine Checking to Tach, Feature 1 Option 4. I would also set the unit for 2 pulse activation, Feature 5 Option 2, to prevent unwanted start-ups.
The main issue you will have with this unit is it's lack of Remote Keyless Entry functions. If I remember correctly, the Civics Factory Remote Keyless Entry FOB's will not work while the engine is remote started.
There is a Parking Liught polarity jumper on the side of the brain that you will want to set according to which vehicle Parking Light wire you choose to use, (+) or (-).
This unit is only for auto transmission vehicles. As such, H3/1 Neutral Safety can be connected to chassis ground due to the Civics built in safety systems.
You will need a bypass module to handle the cars transponder chip based engine immobilizer system, There are many to choose from. Some that come to mind are the Fortin Honda SL-3 and Key-Override-ALL bypass modules.
Bypass module Install guide links below :
https://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/27521/honda-sl3.revzc.pdf
https://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/41731/honda_civic_0105.pdf
My suggestion would be to create a list of your proposed wire connections and post it for member review.
Soldering is fun!
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2020 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Your ignition connections are:
12 VOLT CONSTANT     WHITE (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
STARTER     BLACK/WHITE (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS          
IGNITION 1     BLACK/YELLOW (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1     BLACK/RED (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2     WHITE/RED (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
First off, Accessory 2 for this vehicle powers the radio, accessory outlets, and a few other non-essential items in the car. If
you do not connect it, the radio will remain off during remote start, and activate when you get in the car and perform the key takeover (i.e., turn the key, press the brake pedal).
If you want to connect it, the car will operate exactly as it does when you normally turn the key--during the remote start process, with all accessories running.
Either approach is fine, your choice.
If you want to hook up the second Accessory:
As far as Ready Remote, there are 2 versions of Ready Remote 24921; an older version (individual heavy gauge ignition wires, each plugged into the brain separately).
The link for the manual for a similar model is on this site: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=ready+remote+24923
This older model has 2 ignition wires and 1 accessory wire. The second ignition is not programmable. So if you have this older model, please refer to the section on wiring 2 accessories; it will require 2 relays to drive both accessory wires.
The newer model has 6 heavy gauge wires in a single 6 pin connector(actually this model is a re-banded Avital 4105). The newer model's second ignition wire is programmable, so you would hook up the second accessory in the vehicle to the second ignition wire on the remote start and reprogram it to operate to function as an accessory output.
I'll defer to Kreg's excellent post for additional details with the newer version.
Lectric Guy
kinggeorge3287 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2020 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kinggeorge3287
Hi all,
Thank you all for the great information.
1. I do have the older model ( 2 ignition wires and 1 accessory wire). So I am not going to use the Second Accessory as it is not needed.
2. My car has an aftermarket Security system Previsely installed Hornet 700T. Can I keep this system in place while installing the remote start? Can I integrate this somehow? Is there a wire that needs to be connected between the two?
I have ordered (Directed DEI 556UW Universal Remote Start Bypass Module )
Primary Harness H1 8-pin connector            Honda 2005 LX
H1/1 - Blue       ............................................Blue ( on the 556u Immobilizer)
H1/2- violet/white ...........................................Blue(AC)          
H1/3 - Brown      ............................................White/Black
H1/4 - Gray       ............................................HoodPin
H1/5 - Black        ..........................................Ground
H1/6 - White/Blue (RemotStart Activation Input)...............???
H1/7 - LT. Green/Black (Factory Alarm Disarm/RAP Cancellation)..???
H1/8 - White     ............................................Blue(-) or White (+)??
Relay Wires 6-connectors
A - Violet...............................................       Black/White
B - Red..................................................          White
C-Orange.................................................        Black/Red
D-Pink...................................................           Black/Yellow
E-Red....................................................            White
F- Pink/White............................................    N/A ( IGN2)
What do you all think of this?
Thank you
George
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2020 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
The Ready Remote 24921 is an older and very basic remote start. There are very few features that you can configure on this unit, and limited functionality. It would be easier, cleaner, and allow for more support if needed, to use an upgraded brand of Alarm/Remote start combination in this type of application. You will also get increased remote range from a newer system (I believe the Ready remote 24921 was only around 500 ft, Hornet 700T has an internal antenna, so that distance is limited as well). Audiovox, Compustar, and Directed's Viper/Python/Avital all have versions that will improve on what you have and provide more range.
That being said, you can add the Ready Remote 24921 to your car. Keep in mind that limitations come with the basic unit and the combinations you are trying to put together.
As far as the alarm combination, the Hornet 700T monitors the ignition wire in the car. This will need to be opened during remote start, which will keep your alarm from going off due to the ignition activating. This can be done with your unit, however it will require 2 diodes and a relay.
The diodes can be general purpose, such as 1N4001. The relay would be 5 pin general purpose automotive relay (refer to the relay section of this site). You would connect the bands of both diodes together and also to the H1/1 Blue wire of the 24921. The other (non-banded) ends of the diodes create 2 separate Ground When Running connections; one to connect to the 555UW Ground when Running input, and the other will go to the relay to work around the alarm's ignition connection during remote start. The relay connections will be:
86: +12V
85: the unbanded Ground when Running signal described above
Cut the Hornet's Yellow H1/9 Alarm ignition wire.
Relay Pin 30: one side of the cut Hornet ignition wire
Relay Pin 87A: Other side of the cut Hornet ignition wire
Relay Pin 87: Not connected
Do you want to control the Remote Start from the Hornet Alarm? If so, you would use the Red/White Channel 2 output from the Hornet alarm to connect to the
H1/6 - White/Blue (Remote Start Activation Input). I believe that the older 24921 requires 2 pulses to activate, so you would activate the channel 2 output 2 times to activate the remote start. Even if this Activation input is hooked up, the Ready Remote 24921 remotes will still remain active and can be used to enable the remote start if desired.
The Ready Remote 24921 only has a negative parking light output. So for H1/8 White output from the Ready Remote unit, using the PARKING LIGHTS ( - )BLUE (-)@ HEADLIGHT SWITCH UNDER STEERING COLUMN COVER will be simpler, as it won't require an additional relay.
H1/7 - LT. Green/Black (Factory Alarm Disarm) is used to disable a factory alarm (Which you do not have), so you would not use this.
Be careful in connecting to colors in your Honda without verifying. Get access to a DC voltmeter and test each wire before hooking up to it.
Primary Harness H1 8-pin connector            Honda 2005 LX
H1/1 - Blue       ............................................Ground When Running (To the banded end of 2 diodes; one unbanded end to the 556uw Immobilizer Bypass, the other unbanded end to a relay, see above)
H1/2- violet/white ...........................................Tach:Blue(AC) @ TACH TEST CONNECTOR (2 PIN CONNECTOR ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE BATTERY).       
H1/3 - Brown      ............................................Brake (+): White/Black @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
H1/4 - Gray       ............................................HoodPin
H1/5 - Black        ..........................................Ground
H1/6 - White/Blue (Remote Start Activation Input)...............Activation Input: To Hornet Red/White Ch 2 output
H1/7 - LT. Green/Black (Factory Alarm Disarm/RAP Cancellation)..Not Used
H1/8 - White     ............................................Headlights(-):Blue(-) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH UNDER STEERING COLUMN COVER
Relay Wires 6-connectors
A - Violet...............................................       Starter: Black/White @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
B - Red..................................................       12V: White @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
C-Orange.................................................       Accy 1:Black/Red @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
D-Pink...................................................       Ign1:Black/Yellow @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
E-Red....................................................       12V:White @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
F- Pink/White............................................    N/A (IGN2)
Lectric Guy
kinggeorge3287 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2020 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kinggeorge3287
Hi, Thank you for all the great information. I am waiting for all the supplies to come in to get started.
One question I installed a "Trunk Release Solenoid" a while back. Can you integrate this with the system? where the remote can pop the trunk. I know there is no dedicated button on the remote.
thank you again
George
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
This is where limitations of the Hornet-Ready Remote combination start to come in. The Hornet 700T has one Red/White output for an accessory.
You can use this to control the Remote Start, or as a Trunk release. If you use it for the trunk release, this would require you to carry a separate remote for the remote start. Not ideal, but not terrible either.
The advantage is that the Ready Remote fob has a little longer range than the Hornet fob. The disadvantage is that you will be carrying 2 remotes; one for alarm/keyless entry and another for remote start.
For trunk release, you would need a relay to drive the trunk solenoid. Assuming that you are switching 12V to the trunk solenoid and the other solenoid lead is grounded in the trunk area, You would hook up:
Relay Pins 30 & 36: +12V Constant
Relay Pin 35: Hornet H1/12 Red/White
Relay Pin 87A: Not connected
Relay Pin 87: solenoid + lead
There are also other ways to pop the trunk solenoid with the hornet fob and/or with the original fobs. This would use a module like the PAC TR-7 and a relay. You would program the TR-7 to generate an output after sensing 3 lock motor pulses within a timeframe, like 6 seconds. The output would then drive a relay to pop the trunk solenoid.    
Hope this helps.
Lectric Guy
kinggeorge3287 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2020 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kinggeorge3287
Hi,
I am very much interested in using the PAC TR-7 with hornet. How would I go about the wiring? I was reading the user manual of pac tr-7. any help is welcome.
thank you for all the help
George
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2020 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
George-
The PAC TR-7 would connect as follows:
Red to Fused +12V constant
Black to Ground
Green input to the Driver's door unlock motor (UNLOCK MOTOR|YELLOW /GREEN|back of the fusebox, Top left plug or Driver's Kick)
-This wire will remain at ground, pulses to 12V when you unlock with the door switch or the remote.
White (-) output to relay pin 85
(Numbering typo from above post----numbers should be should be 85 & 86, not 35 & 36)
Relay connections:
Relay Pins 30 & 86: +12V Fused Constant
Relay Pin 85: Hornet H1/12 Red/White (and/or TR7 White lead)
Relay Pin 87A: Not connected
Relay Pin 87: solenoid + lead
A figure of this would be:
2005 Honda Civic, Remote Start Install -- posted image.
Your trunk solenoid would take the place of the actuator in the diagram. If you don't end up using the Hornet Red/White to activate the remote start, you could also hook up the alarm's Red/White output to the relay pin 85 along with the TR-7's output if you want, no issues. Then either the factory remotes or the alarm's remotes would pop the trunk. Of course, just make sure that the alarm is not armed if you use the factory remote.
For TR-7 Programming, you would use Feature #14, Set it up to could 3 (unlock) pulses in 8 seconds.   There is a switch to place the TR-7 in program mode, and back to operational mode when you are done.
Programming the TR-7 can be frustrating, I recommend using a push button switch to program it on the bench before installing. If you make a mistake, just power off and on and restart the programming.
Be patient and follow the PAC guide and you should be OK.
Lectric Guy
kinggeorge3287 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2020 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kinggeorge3287
Hi,
Thank you for all the help. I ordered some 5 pin relay from eBay and its taking forever to come in. I do have 4 pin 30A relay onhand, can I use that or i have to use the 5pin ?
thank you again for the help.
george
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic