2001 Jeep Cherokee, Viper 5806V

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
firefighter1466 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
Might have figured it out. On Page 1 you show the Vipers Green (-) Door Input wire going to the Jeeps Yellow Door Trigger wire and I confirmed this. Then on Page 2 in your chart, you show the Viper Black/Yellow Dome Light Output as the only wire going to the Yellow wire. You need the Vipers Green (-) Door Input wire connected to the Yellow wire. Exactly which Viper wire is going to the Yellow wire?
My image on Page 2 or 3 that shows my chart is exactly how I've got it wired up. I think that was the dome light output wire instead of the door input wire? Did we mix those up?
Jon
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
They are two different things. What we need right now is the Viper Green (-) Door Trigger Input getting a valid door pin signal. This is for the Viper Alarm and to get into Viper Programming Mode. The Viper Dome Light wire is an output that the Viper uses to turn on the vehicles dome light after an unlock.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
So where should the dome light viper wire be moved to?
Jon
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess we should set some priorities. Dome Light Supervision is pretty far down the list if the Viper Alarm isn't working, the remote start isn't working and you can't get into Programming Mode. As you remember from reading the Install Guide, here is the description of the Dome Light Output :
This (-) 200mA output is used to drive the dome light circuit in the vehicle. This output activates when disarming/unlocking the system and when turning the ignition OFF in the vehicle (ignition controlled Dome Light is programmable ON/OFF). (see Ign-controlled Dome Light in Feature Menus for more detail).
It is possible that you do not need this connection and even if you need this connection you may not really want it. First a test. With the Dome Light Output not connected, try a Viper Unlock command. Do the interior / dome lights come on? If yes, you don't need this connection. If no, do you want the interior light to come on with a Viper Unlock? Either way, this wire not connected is not a show stopper. For right now we can live without it. The more important thing is to get everything else working.
So, did connecting the Viper Green (-) Door Trigger Input wire to the Yellow wire get the Viper Alarm to trigger when a door is opened while armed? If , yes, came you now get into Viper Programming Mode to make the necessary changes to get the R/S function working?
If you are still having trouble locating the Yellow Door Pin wire lets try this.
Set the DMM to 20 Volts DC. Go to the battery and hold the Red test lead on the Battery Positive terminal and the Black test lead on the negative terminal.   The DMM should show around +12 Volts DC.
Next, under the dash, push the DMM Red test lead into the plastic connector at the thick Red +12V input wire such that the test lead makes good contact with the plug pin. Touch the Black Test lead to a chassis ground point. The DMM should show the same ~ +12V as the battery posts test.
Finally, move the Black test lead to the suspect Yellow wire. With all the doors closed, you should see 0V at the DMM. Open the drivers door. The DMM should now read ~ +12V.
It's possible the Viper's (-) Door Trigger Input is damaged / bad. Very rare, but possible. Try getting into Viper Programming Mode by briefly touching the Viper Green Door Trigger Input wire to Chassis Ground to start the process of going into Programming Mode. Can you get into Programming Mode this way?
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
It lives! Took the green wire, put it where the most recent place I had the black/yellow dome light wire which was in the headlight switch. Taped it up but didn't ziptie it until I had the opportunity to test. I left the stripped black/yellow wire inside the jeep on the carpet so it wouldn't ground anything out. Took me a couple of tries but got right into programming mode, set it to Automatic, Closed the doors, Locked it, Clicked start and Bam! Cranked right up.
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
That means the Viper Alarm should work and detect a door opening while armed.
Next step would be to see if the Viper Unlock command get the interior /dome lights to come on.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Won't this need that dome light wire (black/yellow viper) that was originally hooked to yellow to be connected to something?
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
As mentioned above, a lot of newer vehicles will turn on the Dome Light with an Unlock command, even an unlock command from an aftermarket source like the Viper ( without any extra connections, just the Unlock wire ).
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
So this one does not. I don't know that it's an important feature though if the wire isn't easily accessible. If I can find it easily, I may go ahead and wire it up in the morning and then start putting the Jeep dash back together.
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: February 04, 2021 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
While I'm not positive, this is where I believe you are at :
The Parking Lights work.
The Locks work.
The R/S works.
The Kit supplied Hood Pin is installed and works ( shutdown R/S and triggers alarm ).
The Brake Pedal wire is connected and works ( shuts down R/S ).
The Viper siren is connected and works.
The Viper Alarm will go off if any door, the rear hatch or the hood is opened .
You are running the R/S in Virtual Tach Mode - no Tach wire connected.
Currently, this is the wiring :
Main Harness, 6-pin connector
Red (+) 12VDC Constant Input...................... RED @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Black (-) Chassis Ground................................ to clean, paint and rust free frame
Brown (+) Siren Output................................... to Directed 514L siren, red wire.   Black siren wire to chassis ground.
White/Brown Parking Light Isolation Wire.... not used
White Parking Light Output............................. BLACK / YELLOW AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH - Viper fuse jumper to (+)
Orange (-) 500mA GWA................................... not used
Door Lock, 3-pin connector
Blue (-) 500mA Unlock Output....................... PINK/VIOLET (-) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
EMPTY
Green (-) 500mA Lock Output........................ORANGE / VIOLET (-) LOCATED IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
Auxiliary/Shutdown/Trigger Harness, 24-pin connector
Pink/White (-) 200mA Ignition 2 - Flex Relay Output...................... not used
Blue/White (-) 200mA 2nd Status/Rear Defogger Output................not used
Red/White (-) 200mA Trunk Release Output...................................not used, unlocks with doors
Black/Yellow (-) 200mA Dome Light Output ...................................*************************************
Dark Blue (-) 200mA Status Output..................................................Unused
White/Black (-) 200mA Aux 3 Output............................................... Unused
White/Violet (-) 200mA Aux 1 Output................................................Unused
Orange/Black (-) 200mA Aux 4 Output.............................................Unused
Gray (-) Hood Pin Input (N/C or N/O)...............................................to kit supplied hood pin switch you installed
Blue (-) Trunk Pin/Instant Trigger Input (N/C or N/O).....................Unused
White/Blue Activation Input...............................................................Unused
Violet/White* Tachometer Input.........................................................Not Used - running Virtual Tach Mode
Black/White** (-) Parking/E-Brake Input..........................................to chassis ground
Green/Black (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Disarm Output.....................not used
Green (-) Door Input...........................................................................to YELLOW (-) at Headlight Switch harness
Brown/Black (-) 200mA Horn Honk Output.......................................not used - you have siren
Pink (-) 200mA Ignition 1 Output........................................................not used
Violet* (+) Door Input..........................................................................not used, using (-) Door Input trigger
Violet/Black (-) 200mA Aux 2 Output...................................................not used
Brown (+) Brake Shutdown Input........................................................WHITE/TAN (+)   @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
Violet/Yellow (-) 200mA Starter Output...............................................not used
Gray/Black (-) Diesel Wait To Start Input...........................................not used
Orange (-) 200mA Accessory Output...................................................not used
Green/White (-) 200mA Factory Alarm Arm Output............................not used
Remote Start, 10-pin heavy gauge connector
No Connection
Red/Black (+) Fused 12V Accessory/Starter Input...................Pink/Black (+)   @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Pink/Black (+) Flex Relay Input #87A.......................................Unused
Pink/White (+) Ignition 2............................................................BLACK/ ORANGE (+)   @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Red (+) Fused 12V Ignition 1 Input............................................Red (+)     @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Green (+) Starter Input (KEY SIDE).........................................YELLOW (+)   @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - cut wire - key side
Violet (+) Starter Output (CAR SIDE).......................................YELLOW (+)    @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS - cut wire - vehicle side
Orange (+) Accessory Output....................................................BLACK/WHITE (+)    @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Red/White (+) Fused 12V Input, Ignition 2................................Pink/Black (+)    @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Pink (+) Ignition 1 Input/Output................................................DARK BLUE (+)   @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Obviously, if I am in error, please correct me.
Currently, the only issue/concern is the fact that while an Unlock command form the factory FOB will unlock the doors and turn on the Dome Light, an Unlock command from the Viper will only unlock the doors and is not turning on the Dome Light. The solution is connecting the Vipers Black/Yellow (-) 200mA Dome Light Output to the same wire that the Vipers Green (-) Door Input wire is connected to. Then test with an Unlock command. Then test the Vipers Alarm system to ensure it functions properly.
Having spent 4 years living in VA, I can remember some pretty cold days. If, in the future, the R/S function becomes unreliable, you can connect the Tach wire ( which I think you already ran into the engine compartment ) to a viable Tach source ( some possibilities already mentioned in the thread ), change Viper programming to Engine Checking = Tach and do a Tach Learn.
Soldering is fun!
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic