the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Jeep Cherokee, Viper 5806V

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2021 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
You could get +12V from the (+) battery post via a long piece of excess, unused Viper wire, or by pushing the Red DMM test lead into the Viper connector where the +12V power comes in. Might be other convenient places. If you just want to get the Viper into Programming Mode, you could just touch the Viper (-) Door Pin Input wire to Chassis Ground.
The (-) Door Trigger Input is an input to the Viper. As such it is only a high impedance wire that monitors another for a signal. The Yellow wire is the correct color and location from the wire guide. Also you are able to effect the door open chime by interrupting the signal. I would think it might be OK to connect the Viper Door Trigger Input wire and then see if the Viper alarm will trigger when the Viper Alarm is set and the door is opened. I'm assuming that the Viper is able to control the locks, the siren and Parking Lights.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2021 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks - the only wires I have left are to ground the 2 black wires inside and
"Gray
PCM, Black Plug"     Tach     "Violet/White
24-Pin Aux"     More reliable engine starts
Where do I find this wire? I can't seem to find anything online.
Jon
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2021 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
So I skipped tach mode for now because it looked like it wanted me to tap into the huge spool of harness in the front and I'm just not willing to do that right now since I'm inexperienced. I read that while virtual tach isn't the most ideal, it does work fine.
Here's my issue. Alarm works great. Unlock & Lock work great. I enabled "garage mode" and disabled it as well. However, when I'm trying to remote start it "clicks" 7 times at the box. The lights don't flash, but I'm assuming that's because I've got the dash partially taken apart and the headlights have a control button that kind of stabs in and pulls in and out. The seven clicks I'm assuming are like the 9 clicks that were slow for garage mode when turning off and fast when turning on. So 7 clicks means it is in manual transmission mode. I tried going into the programming, which the instructions say:
Open a door
Turn the key to ON then OFF
Press and hold the control center button until 3 chirps representing 3rd menu.
That's where I get stuck - I never get any chirps when holding that button. I could hold it for 20 minutes and it wouldn't do a thing.
Any thoughts???
Jon
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, 7 blinks is MT Mode.
Does the Viper alarm/siren go off when you open a door? This would verify that you are connected to a good Door Pin Trigger source.
Do you have the Vipers thick Pink ING1 wire connected to the Jeeps Ignition wire. You can test for +12V at the Pink wire at the Viper controller plug when you rotate the ignition key to ON position using the DMM.
You can usually get a good Tach signal at any Fuel Injector. It's a two pin plug. Check several F.I.s and use the non-common colored wire at any F I.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
So.. I locked the doors with the viper remote. Flipped the lock manually from the inside of the Jeep and opened the door. The alarm did not go off, but the lights came on like they usually would inside noting that the door is open. No alarm though. Once I put the key in and turned it, the alarm started going off.
Am I doing something wrong for testing the door? Should I try opening it from the inside without flipping the lock manually? The remote didn't react to it being flipped, I would think that would trigger the alarm like it would normally on a vehicle just being opened regardless of how it was unlocked manually.
If this is the case, I apparently don't have the correct wire. Could it be a different wire than the yellow wire in that small 3-pin? I noticed that when I had the key in the ignition and opened the door that it would ding until I disconnected that plug. That leads me to believe that the door trigger is in that switch, however, I'm not sure.
There are 3 wires in that pin. Black, Black/Blue, Yellow. When I touch the DMM to the Black and Black/Gray I get like 12V whether the door is open or not. When I touch it to black and yellow it's like 7V.
I'm totally confused on what is going on here. Am I on the wrong yellow wire? See attached images.
2001 Jeep Cherokee, Viper 5806V - Page 4 -- posted image.
Thanks,
Jon
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
In addition, looking at the 2000 Jeep manual on this website, it shows that the "Door Trigger" is located "Yellow (-) Under Dash Light or Overhead Module".
I watched a video on Youtube of someone disassembling an overhead module and the yellow wire I saw in there was right much bigger of a wire (smaller gauge) than the one I tapped into already. Could this potentially be right? How would this harness travel to the overhead module and where would be the best place to tap into it?
Thanks,
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
The info I found was a Gray two pin connector with the Yellow Door Pin wire. You really have to test it with a DMM to be sure you have the correct wire.
If the Viper was locked and the alarm armed, the Viper siren should have gone off when the door was opened. The Viper also watches the Ignition input and if it goes to +12V while armed, it will set off the siren.
Here is some info on the Yellow wire :
All Door Trigger / Dome Light   YELLOW (-)   AT ANY PIN SWITCH OR HEADLIGHT SWITCH
Left Front Door Trigger     Yellow (-)      @ drivers kick in a gray 2 pin connector
Are there door pin switches in the door jams?   With only one door open, when you press the switch does the dome light go out? Might be a delayed fade out. Can the pin switch be be removed?   Just pull it out a little and check the wire color and then find that wire in the door sill harness. Then test. Can you remove door pillar trim and look behind the door pin? Same routine.
The Headlight switch might be the easiest location to locate the wire. How many Yellow wires there? Again, test with a DMM to be sure.
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Again - I've struggled to find an accurate way to test with the DMM. I just disconnected it from where it was connected and tied it into the headlight solid yellow wire. Still nothing. No command center, no remote start, no alarm with door opening. I pushed on the pin in the door and the lights go off. I looked inside the Jeep the best I could and there's only one set of wires going in the hole right there of the frame and it looks like the same 3 wire harness that I tapped into, on the same side. Yellow, Black & Black/Blue.
I'm stumped. There has to be something off.
Jon
kreg357 
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Might have figured it out. On Page 1 you show the Vipers Green (-) Door Input wire going to the Jeeps Yellow Door Trigger wire and I confirmed this. Then on Page 2 in your chart, you show the Viper Black/Yellow Dome Light Output as the only wire going to the Yellow wire. You need the Vipers Green (-) Door Input wire connected to the Yellow wire. Exactly which Viper wire is going to the Yellow wire?
Soldering is fun!
firefighter1466 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2021 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
So I found the plug going into the passenger kick panel that controls the lights when the door push pins are pushed in and door is opened. I pulled that plug out and put a constant on the battery and the black in the yellow pin of the plug but it stayed at 12v whether the door was opened or closed. Should I not have tested it at that module? Should I have tested it past that at some point? I'm trying to figure this out but even using a DMM isn't making sense for making out where I need to be connected.
Jon
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic