the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chatoyer 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2022 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Yeah, I think this failure to flash the lights as a bit weird too.
The E26 pin for tach is on 01-04 rsx. I'm using an O5-06 rsx type s wiring and ecu, so it is on E25. I can send a pic of honda manual page later.
Tonight I tested the output on the coil, CKP (crank position sensor), and injector wires as a tach source. First, the e25 wire tested at 6.4 bolts. The injector wire is outputting 13.4 volts(battery voltage); and the ckp and coil are outputting about 2.5 volts. I watched a few YouTube videos for testing the tach wire for remote start security systems and they all show about 6.5 volts. Also, when I rev the engine to increase the rpm, the voltage on all of the above wires drop by about 1 volt...
So perhaps we have an Ah ha moment. It appears that this is why the alarm and the tach both work on the e25 wire, but not together. 6.5 seems to be thr goldilocks number. Also, if I rev the engine to increase the rpm, isnt the voltage output on those wire suppose to increase? I'm a bit puzzled, but it may explain why my tach jumps all over the place if I tap into it and rev the engine. Any thoughts on the test results?
Thanks.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2022 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
So I promised to upload the pics of the rsx 2005-2006 wiring, so here they are:Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
This is the pic of the ecu E Plug pinout. E25 is the tach for these years.
I have a followup question to make sure I did what you suggested correctly. If I used the coil signal to obtain the tach signal, should I have tapped into the #1 wire of A13, A14, A15 or A16 at the ECU; OR should I have tapped into the BLK/WHT wire at the individual coil? I have attached the wire schematic and ecu pinout below:
Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2022 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
So you're using an aftermarket tach? Probably not enough drive out of the ECU to run both the Tach and the remote start.
There isn't actually a goldilocks number. 6.4 volts is just an average of what a basic multi-meter will show for a 50% duty-cycle square wave signal (6.4v is half of 12.8v). The remote start is monitoring the pulses not the voltage; which is why it has to learn the tach - it learns the tach signal (pulse count) at idle speed.
Reading 13.4 volts on the fuel injector wire all the time (even during heavy acceleration) could mean you are not on the correct wire. Other than using a labscope to confirm what the signal looks like, unplugging the fuel injector and seeing the 13.4 voltage drop to no volts is another confirmation check.
The ignition system is of a low-voltage signal design here. I wouldn't use it for tach signal on this type of system.
While all you have left is tach signal, something seems to be wrong with your Avantguard install if it doesn't operate as the installation and/or owners manual dictates it should. Whether it be user error or some other installation problem, not being able to get into tach learning mode and receive a success or unsuccessful response is the real problem here. Because the remote start is working by default (without tach learning) on pin 25 - thus we know it's a good signal - does the tach learn process work properly there? If not, something is definitely wrong with your Avantguard install (seeing how you've tried multiple modules thus it's very unlike the module itself is at fault).
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2022 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Hello,
Thanks for the response.
To clarify, I'm not using an aftermarket tach. I'm using the oem tach in the 1999 integra. The issue I'm having is that the tach works fine if I don't tap into the oem wires to supply a tach signal to the intellistart unit. When I tap into the oem wire to supply a tach signal to the intellistart unit, (remember the only tach signal wire is on the harness to the intellistart because the h1/4 pin wire is blank) the tach either does not work or bounces all over the place. (Perhaps the solution is to figure out what is causing this becausebit worked find before the engine swap)
Now, while the tach is not working with the intellistart tach wire connected, all the features of the the avantguard and intellistart work, including blackjack and autolock, etc. So that is another oddity - the unit seems to remember the old tach programming.
As for entering program grids and learn, I can enter the grids and various column and rows, but I don't get a light response (flash) as confirmation that the system has accepted or rejected the programming. No doubt something is wrong, but I have double checked the wiring too many times to count and compared it to my other two cars (same make and model) with the avantguard 5.1 unit, and there is no difference. I take your suggestion, however, that there is a likely wiring issue and will take another look at it again - I have it apart now so no difficulty.
Last night I was doing some reading on this and other forums and found this post:
Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. The poster pinned the h1/4 and used that to supply the tach signal because he was notnusing the intellistart unit. I have a spare unit with spare pins that I will pin into the h1/4 location to test. Other than this and rechecking the wiring, I'm thinking that the remotes are not properly programmed in the first place, which is why the system is able to enter the grid from the key pad, but unable to accept changes from the remote - nothing happens.
On the injector signal, which wire from the schematics I uploaded would you tap into? I was sure I located and tapped into the correct wire at the ecu. I will check that again today - do a continuity test.
Thanks for the response and clarifications.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2022 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Sorry, I misposted the link to the other post:
running tach from H1/4 pin
Today's development:
I installed a wire in pin h1/4 and connected that wire first to the ECU E25 pin. I tried the learn function, but the same result - I'm able to enter the function grid, but I receive no confirmation either way.
Then I connected the h1/4 wire to the coil wire (ECU A16) AND connected the e25 to the original intellistart tach wire. I tried to learn again and nothing happened, but after restart the features (auto lock, remote start, blackjack) worked. I then disconnected the ecu e25 tach signal from the intellistart and restarted the car with only the A16 connected to the h1/4. IT WORK!!! The features all worked... I re-check the features several time after several restarts, and it continued to work on the h1/4 pin and A16 ecu (coil no 1 pulse signal).
I'm going to keep it that way to see if it keeps functioning until I receive the cliffnet wizard cable to check the settings through the software - I ordered the cable but itbis on back order. I agree that something is wrong with, but being a novice at this stuff, I'm stumped, so I'm going to wait for the software to help point me to the problems.
I appreciate all the help.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2022 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
So I received the cliffnet wizard kit a couple months ago - had to get it from the UK - and finally go around to connecting it today. It requires a pc with a serial port.
I was able to fix several issues immediately, but upon driving the car it seemed to have lost the tach signal. I came back home to troubleshoot but can't get it to learn the feature either in the software or manually. The software "fails" and the manual feature flashes the lights only once instead of twice. Can anyone give me any ideas? Now that I have the software, I can upload screenshots if needed. Thanks is advance.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2023 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
I was able to fix all of the issues above related to the tach. Now I have two issues related to the install that has to do with the ground of the H1/1 wire (primary harness) and the H3/7 wire (intellistart). These two wires are showing battery voltage, so as I attempt to connect them to ground, they spark. Everything about the alarm seem to work perfectly, but I am concerned that this is not suppose to happen.
The H1/1 wire is connected to the H1/5 (green/white) wire. The H3/7 wire is not connected to any other wire. They both show about 11 volts independently.
Any input as to whether this is supposed to happen or not and the possible cause, assuming it is a problem, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic