the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
southsidesmoka 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
Howdy and hello, all! Long time listener, first time caller…
History:
I had my 1999 Chevrolet C1500 Suburban (Old Body Style, Standard Key) equipped with a FirsTech CM-DC3 Remote Start system via Best Buy in February of this year, 2022. It worked great…but I wanted more. Fast forward a few months and several hundred dollars later, I have upgraded my remotes, twice, and ultimately decided to go with a CompuStar Pro RFX T13 Remote Upgrade Kit – which I am having problems with.
Problem:
My issue lies with the Proximity Unlock feature not working. I purchased the Pro RFX T13 kit online; also, there is no CompuStar PRO Shop near my area. Hence, I was left to fend for myself on installation as Best Buy won’t touch my upgrade. Any information on installing the T13 kit is locked away behind closed doors for “Authorized Installers”. Fortunately, that is not the case with the firmware updates.
Here’s where my setup stands:
• CM-DC3 running RSA-GM1 v2.8 firmware (latest version – same version Best Buy initially flashed)
       o During flashing via Weblink Desktop, there was no Proximity Unlock menu option to Enable
• ANT-2WSF antenna is mounted vertically at top of windshield near rear-view mirror
       o both previous antennas installed by Best Buy were mounted in the same spot and fashion
       o all communications function except Proximity Unlock
• All four remote slots are programmed
• Neither the T13 nor the R5 remote triggers Proximity Unlock
• My Suburban has an errant door switch/short circuit which makes it behave as if a door is open
       o Naturally, I have chased and attempted to find this electrical error – to no avail
       o At all times, I must keep the Dome Override switch engaged to keep the courtesy lights off
       o The CM-DC3 registers the doors as open; however, the alarm and remote start all function properly
               Unlock a door with a key and open it without disarming the alarm, it sounds
So, I’m thinking the Proximity Unlock is just a short-range, secure RFID signal telling the system to disarm and unlock. Why it is not being sent/received/acknowledged is baffling me! The system is setup correctly, as best as I can tell, according to what I can find online. Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, in advance.
Murphy and his damned Law keep me quite busy...
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 400
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2022 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
turn off the LED on the dc-3, and enable the Proximity unlock on the remote. wait a minute when walking to the car to see if it works
southsidesmoka 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2022 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
In haste, I did forget to mention that I have:
       • Disarmed, unlocked and entered the truck
       • Enabled Proximity Unlock on the T13 remote
       • Exited, locked and armed the truck
       • Walked away and approached slowly waiting for the Proximity Unlock to work
This obviously hasn’t worked for me, yet.
Which LED on the DC3 are you referring to for deactivation; and how do I deactivate it? Nothing but the programming button on the DC3 as far as I can see. Thank you for your response and assistance. It is greatly appreciated, silvercivicsir! CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image.
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 01, 2022 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
Eureka!
I think I figured it out. Bear with me…
The trick to enabling Proximity Unlock on a CompuStar CM-DC3 Remote Start control module, for use with the CompuStar RFX-P2WT13-SF Remote Upgrade Kit, lies inconspicuously in the options menus.
During flashing/options configuration, one must set the “FT-RFID” option setting under the Doorlock settings menu to the appropriate option. With the DC3, the “FT-RFID” options are “OFF”, “FTX Unlock” and “Unlock once armed” – the latter being the proper choice for enabling Proximity Unlock. This was not obvious at first since the word proximity is nowhere to be seen!
Now, with the DC3 ready, simply activate Proximity Unlock on the T13/R5 and the system should work!
I welcome any and all assistance, corrections and critiques.
Pro shop my ass… CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image.
CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image.
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 05, 2022 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
After all that module flashing and feature configuration, my Proximity Unlock is still not functional. 😕
So… I bit the proverbial bullet and took my truck to my original CompuStar installer at Best Buy, this past Friday. We formed good rapport upon our first encounter; hence, he was glad to help me with this finicky issue.
With that said, my CM-DC3 settings are correct for Proximity Unlock functionality! The “FT-RFID” option should be set to enable the “Unlock once armed” feature for Proximity Unlock to work. Unfortunately, that’s the easy part…
We are venturing into uncharted territory with this foray – my Proximity Unlock is not functional because of reasons, thus far, unbeknownst. My installer made several calls, some to CompuStar and some to his fellow installers, and here is my understanding of where we stood when his next appointment arrived:
•the CM-DC3 series has a built-in RF-Decoder which must be correctly flashed and coded at the time of firmware flashing – something I didn’t do correctly; I flashed firmware and later configured options and features
•there MAYBE some correlation between DC3 manufacturing dates and Proximity Unlock functionality – this wouldn’t make much sense because this would limit the marketability and usability of the RFX-P2WT13-SF, hence the MAYBE
•When I went to Best Buy, I only brought the T13 remote and forgot to bring the R5 remote which prevented us from programming both into my DC3; I programmed both once I arrived home, albeit to no avail
I’m headed back tomorrow for what I hope to be an ultimate fix. For those interested, I shall keep you posted.
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 06, 2022 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
The processes of troubleshooting and elimination have led to the conclusion of a faulty antenna. A replacement is in transit. We shall see what happens in about a week.
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 08, 2022 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
A brand-spanking-new CompuStar ANT-2WSF antenna arrived, today! I ordered this one through Amazon...in the event a problem developed, I wanted some buyer protection. It's a good thing, too, because either this antenna is faulty, too, CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. or Proximity Unlock is a snipe hunt at the moment. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. I'm leaning towards the latter. Gonna call my installer, tomorrow, and tell him the crappy news. Maybe he can get in touch with somebody at CompuStar that could actually affect change in the sense of fixing broken software/hardware issues. I've spent way too much money for this system not to work as advertised. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image.
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 400
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2022 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
did you try turning off the security led? security and option 6 or 16 I think ?
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 10, 2022 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
I actually have a security LED mounted in my driver's side A-column. With that said, I am hesitant to disable what is Security option 16... unless, of course, it will actually bring functionality to Proximity Unlock. Is this some coveted Pro shop secret?? 🤔
I've lost the urge to unhook and flash my DC3 just for gits and shiggles as it's a real pain in the ass to get to and disconnect. Give me motive, sir! Where are you getting this tidbit?
Also, what about my Security LED? Is there some magic by which all things will function with this combination of options enabled? I am terribly curious as to the outcome of this potential flash session.
Thank you for your time, assistance and answers.
southsidesmoka 
Posted: June 10, 2022 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote southsidesmoka
I disabled the Antenna LED to no avail. No Proximity Unlock. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. CompuStar CM-DC3 and Pro RFX T13 Proximity Unlock Problem -- posted image. Does anybody actually have this CompuStar feature functioning?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic