icon

Messed Up Battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Wantofok 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, here's the problem...I was installing my brand new Yellow top when I accidently touched the neg. post of the battery w/the wrench as I was tightening the poss. post. and I created a spark which melted a piece off of the neg post and sent the wrench flying out of my hand. Not a very pleasant experiance. Messed Up Battery? -- posted image.
I'm worried that I might have damaged something internally or something else in the battery...I don't know. Someone please help me out hereMessed Up Battery? -- posted image. I'm not sure on this but, I think that I could also hear a strange noise coming from the poss. post right afterwords which lasted a couple of minutes. Also, is there any way to fix that chunk of post which I melted off?
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
you have to buy new post..and get a post puller..But there isnt anythin wrong with the post that way. all you did was arch it. It shouldnt have done anything..i have done it lots of times b4.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
cool_greg 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like the noise you heard may have been the battery acid boiling, it will do that when the battery is shorted out, it should be ok otherwise
Just a Guy, Wiring up those Vehicals
---------------------------------
Gool_Greg
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
also you should test it..make sure your fully charged b4 u reconnect...or else it wont go to full.
Wantofok 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input...the battery has been working fine so I'm guessing no harm done :) Maxst, by saying it won't go to full do you mean as in never or until I hook it up to a charger?
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

Just charge it to full charge b4 u install it.

i think since it might be lower than full charge the system will recognize it as a full charge...to a limit. i think there is a cut off for that to happen. so then you might not get a full battery and possibly shorten the life of the battery.

Basscoholic23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
what happens to the life of a battery that gets jump started 2 times with a 24 month life span? I've had ppl blaming our shop for batteries going dead on brand new and almost brand new cars. One of my friends had a an intersting point on this.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
a yellowtop or a generic run of the mill everyday 12V battery?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic