the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

l7 15's in a silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

Ok im totally lost now, maybe i said the wrong thing. So are you saying the 4 subs would see 1200 watts each or 300 watts each??  Just going by what i have always heard and what seemed like common sense. Would like to hear some other opinions on this one.

l7sdime 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

this is doubleduece's bro. yeh im wonderin the same thing baout my 4 L7 12's. if i wire them in a series with 1 kx1200.1 will they see 1200 or 300 a piece. im with tdsteele im completely lost any more suggestionsa will help me and my bro thanks.

wes

doubleduece 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

ok,i guess ill join the group, im so lost. someone help mr out,lol.

trey

tdsteele 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Well, my opinion, what ive always seen and heard from local installers and all the installs you ever see, whether it be right or wrong, which we are trying to figure out, is if you have a sub that can hold 500 watts, you try to get an amp that puts out 500 watts, if you 2 or 3 or 4 of those 500 watt subs, you get an amp that adds up to the power they require, so 4 subs would be 2000 watts, you get 2000 watts of power. Makes sense right?? But, on another note, i can see where he is saying that the amp is only seeing the load presented to it and not the number of subs, case in point, local shop that did my install has a room with 64, yes 64 12" subs in it, all run off one 1200 watt amp. Now, if the way im thinking and the guys at that store say is right, those subs are getting 18.75 watts each, not alot huh and probably wouldnt move them that much, right? Well those subs pounded like they were getting hundreds of watts each. So, kinda gives you some more to mess with your head. I would love to know whats right and wrong on this one cause if the subs are all getting the max power then why do people have multiple amp systems??? Is everyone wrong in the way we think??

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
About your box. I may not have described it clearly. A ported box needs to be bigger than a sealed. Kikcer reccomends that you have a box from 3 to 6 cubic ft. I am trying to say that if you can't fit a 18-24 cubic ft. box in your truck you could make it as small as 3 cubic ft. per sub. I do not suggest a 3 cubic ft. enclosure for massive spl. Normally the bigger the better so it does not have to be 6 c.ft. but as close as you can make it to that the better off you will be. With a box that big you will have to brace the hell out of it and the 12 volt has a port calculator so you can tune your subs the the ideal frequency. All you have to do is punch in the port diameter and what frequency you want and it will give you the port length. Also make sure you use 1 inch medium density fiber board or high density, also use lots of glue when assembling for extra strength. When you are done seal all of the joints with some silicon caulking and a caulking gun to make it air tight. There are many more things that would help but I can't think of them. By bracing I mean internally putting braces in the box. There are lots of tutorials on the net for heavy weight box building that will help more than me. www.soundstream.com has one. I put up a post on the whole ohms watts issue. Hopefully we can get that resolved soon. I might be wrong. If so I do apologize. As much as I think I know I still learn everday
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
well, i thought i read somewhere that increasing cone area (i.e. adding more subs) can lead to more bass, but i would think that increasing the power AND the number of subs would be easier for the amateur installers, who don't have access to that many subs or the skills to build a perfect ported enclosure. i myself wouldn't be able to build a perfect enclosure, so i'd stick to adding more power l7 15's in a silverado - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. well, that's just what i think.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah, if anyone was confused by my entry about current division, i was trying to prove that the subs would each see (1/4) of the power delivered by the amp, which means 300 watts a piece.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I would rather do less subs in the right box than more in a poorly built box. In the long run it really is worth it even if you have a professional shop built one for you. I can't stand cutting up wood so I do everything else myself but the box. Espically if you are doing competition you don't want to have a system that will put you in a big boys class by many subs and amps but it can't live up to its reputation because the box is making everything distort at moderate volumes. Sounds like aggie altima is right about the 300 watts per speaker. So I guess I would buy 2 amps for 4 subs and get dual 2 ohm subs wire the v.c.'s in a series and the subs in parallel. This should give you a 2 ohm load per amp and 600 watts per sub. I stand corrected.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2003 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

With a 2 ohm load on the amp you will get 600 watts total and 300 watts per sub. Now each sub is rated at 1000 watts rms. You will want to get (3) Kicker KX1200.1 and (3) dual 2 ohm L715’s. Each sub should be run off its own amp wired in parallel (1 ohm) for 1200 watts per sub. As far as the enclosure goes do you realize how big 18 cu/ft is? Do you plan on driving this thing?

tdsteele 
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

l7sdime and doubleduece, be sure to check out this other post that was started off of this one, good info for you two.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=16856&PN=1

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic