icon

Solo barics? Alpine type r's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I've decided its about time I invested in a new system. I had an Orion Cobalt setup, with the 12" sub, 150.2 amp, and the bandpass box.  The sub generally sounds good, but I wanna upgrade to something better.  I dont wanna sub that is gonna be too loud to listen to, as I am not a big fan of spl.  But I want a good balance of loud, and sq.  I think realistically I can only fit 1 12 in my trunk.  Ive been looking at the Alpine type r 12's (2 ohm dvc), Kicker L7 Solo-Baric 12" (2 ohm dvc), and possibly the Memphis SHP series subs (they are a little out of my price range though).  I dont mind spending over 200 for a sub if it's worth it to my ears, and I just dont know what to get.  Any suggestions you guys? Also, I havnt bought an amp yet, but I'll find one once I decide which sub i want.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

If your looking for something that has a good balance of volume and sq I highly suggest that you look at the Eclipse Aluminum series  http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/speaker/sw8100/sw8122dvc.html and if you can afford it go for the Titanium Series http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/speaker/sw9100/sw9122.html The subs move as much air as 2 or more L7 or type R's and still maintain excellent sq.

Special-K 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Solo-barics===SPL 

Alpine===SQ

Memphis===better SQ i would get these than ^

crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I guess I wont get the solo-barics, so my choices are now memphis, eclipse, or alpine.....the only place i seem to be able to find memphis is in my local shop, but they are 650 each!! OUCH!!! I checked ebay and they dont have the SHP's, do you knoiw where i can get them cheaper?
fogle03 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

kicker is the way to go, i got 2 solobaric L7 10s and it hit 147db's...if you dont want to hit that hard buy a pair of kickers comp vr's, they hit real good to and they are cheap...they are dual 4ohm

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

The Infinity Kappa Perfects will give you a really good SQ and still hit really hard when you want them to.  Might want to give them a listen.  And yes they can handle a lot more than their advertised RMS power handling (400 watts).

Also just so you know they make a DVC version of that sub, in case you need something to work better with whatever amp you plan to use.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Himself 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

What type of music do you listen to the most? When you say it sounds good but want better, do you want it louder? Tighter bass? Have you ever thought about a ported box instead of the bandpass. If your not a spl fan then the bandpass might be a bit boomy and slopy sounding. The sub is the main purchase, but the box type is important too.

What?
crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

I mostly listen to rock music, but I do listen to rap too....i want something that is gonna be louder than what I have without sacrificing the tight bass that I get from my current setup

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2003 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
what about the titaniums? they are more expensive....but do they make a big difference?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic