Under power! need advise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyRyder 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

hello again guys!!

i have a 15" alpine DVC 500w rms @ 2ohm.... so it mean 250w RMS per coil..... at the moment i still looking for to buy another amp, so my amp ALPINE MRV T757 (2 ch, 200w per ch @ 2ohm) ... i dont want to bridge, it the same sub (bridge 4ohm at 500wRMS) amp bridge at 4ohm 400W-rms.. 

If i connect each Voice Coil to each channel, it only 50w under power to the sub...

is that give any harm or will damage my sub? or i should wait for new amp? or it is okay for just normal use... i talk to ALPINE dealer, he said should be ok...  

thank in advance guys

nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Well i would think it would be fine. The only thing that would concern me is having a left and right channel going to the sub. So if you've got a stereo imput i would think you might damage the sub but i'm not too sure. But power wise it is fine. Hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this for you.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
nah, having a stereo input is fine.   i see all the time huge powerful subs DVC run in stereo to a big amp.  it will be fine... the 50w under power shouldnt be a problem either.
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

is it better for me to run one voice coil to  each Channel (amp)?...... or better bridge it?...

coz  the alpine install has informed me that, when i run it each coil to each channel (amp),... it give me all the option and much better sound (maybe he talking about the mono block amp?) but i do mention about my amp, he said it shouldnt be a problem..... coz he try to get me buying his MD500 (about the same amount power as mind at themoment)......

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

to bridge the amp is better on the sub, if you put one channel to each vc then you run the chance of blowing one of the vc. i ran a channel to each of my vc and it blew one of the vc because of inconsistancies in the channels.

Quad L Handyman services
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

hmm......

anyone else has experienced this type of situation or know the solution of this time of problem?

advises will be appreciated!!

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

didnt like the advise about hitting it?>

haha just thought id put in my experience with them

Quad L Handyman services
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
hmm true!!... someone has said that it should be fine, but just affraid it will give steroe at some stage (un-stable),,,, so bridge it!!!
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Would be safer having the same signal to both coil's that way.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 3:42 AM / IP Logged  
Independant wireing is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Here's some info from JL Audio on the dangers of Independant Wiring. It is possible to do, but I stongly recommend trying to find an amp capable of properly running both voice coils from the same channel.
If the sub is a 2ohm DVC (both voice coils are 2ohm), then you can bridge the amp and wire the subs in series for a 4ohm load. This is safer than wiring each voice coil to a different channel/amp. Let me know if you want a diagram and I'll e-mail you one...
What is the model number of the sub?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic