icon

Diode for two 530ts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lophix 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Okay most people dont know this but a lot of cars come with a neutral safety switch/wire that runs to the ecu. In connection with this wire is another wire that also goes to the ecu that has to do with "telling" when the car is in reverse and to throw on the brake lights. I was really lucky with my car and the viper as well. The 150esp has a neutral safety input wire that looks for a ground signal in order to activate the remote start. If it doesnt get a ground from that wire, it won't remote start. My nissan maxima (and all the others from 89 - 04....installers, take note*) ALL have a neutral safety wire that runs to the ecu. Most are in the same location. *I am not too sure but I believe it is the same case with altimas as well.*  In my car, this wire tests ground when in neutral, and 4-5v when in gear. Thus, it's a "plug-n-play" thing for me. :) 

There is another VERY UNORTHODOX method that could be used, although it will require the use of a relay. It involves getting a spring and wrapping it around the gear shifter but not touching the shifter while in neutral. This spring is connected to the relay which looks for a ground signal in order to send out a voltage input to the brain. The spring is used because it is flexible and can be used in everyday driving without hinderance. you will also need a metal (or piece of wire hanger) to hold it rigid and steady and screw it in using plastic. I found it on some website and as unorthodox as it sounds, it does work! and is cheap to make too!

I have a habit of leaving my car in neutral and only leave it in gear when i am on a VERY steep slope which is rare. If  your friend has a habit of leaving his car in gear, I'd tell him to practice not leaving it in gear as a conscious effort for about a month before getting a remote start. btw what kind of car does he have? the fsm should usually tell if the neutral wire exists or not.

xmfan
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
(She) has a Jeep wrangler. Thanks for the explanation...I'm starting to understand what that Neutral Safety Wire was from the remote starters that I kept ignoring Diode for two 530ts - Page 5 -- posted image. It sounds like a better method than the relay and spring.
Again, I don't know much about manuals...but don't you need to hold in the clutch when you start the car? I'm wondering if this is the "clutch bypass" that people talk about.
I wonder if there is also a similar wire for the e-brake. Maybe the remote start could look for that wire as well...to make it more secure. She has a pretty brand new Wrangler, so I'm sure it would take a lot of convincing :-)
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
lophix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

yeah you need to bypass the clutch. That's relatively easy on most cars that have 2 wires running to the switch behind  cut one wire and test to see if it starts without depressing the clutch. If it doesn't, connect both wires and try it. If it doesn't then hmm...you'll need to do a lot more work :) I've only done it on 2 cars and both needed both wires to be connected together. I am not really sure about the e-brake although I make it a point to park with it and so does my gf so I didnt wire anything there. besides...even with the e-brake engaged, a torque-y car should be able to move.

xmfan
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so there are two wires (#1 and #2), and you cut #1. If the car still starts, you said to connect both wires and try it. What do you mean by both wires?....Connect #1 and #2 together?
lophix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

ok normally to start a manual trans. car, you have to press the clutch pedal. pressing the pedal either closes the switch or opens the switch and since there are only 2 wires, cutting one of them and then trying to start without pressing the clutch will determine if you have bypassed it (opening the switch). If it doesnt start, then unplug the harness (there will most likely be a plug harness that both wires go into that connects to the clutch switch) and create a connection between both terminals by running a jumper to both points. (same as splicing both wires - closing the switch) then try it again. most times, it should now start without the clutch being pressed. If both methods dont work...then it's a more complicated issue :) but for a jeep, i'd bet it is one of the above.

xmfan
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2003 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
ahhh, I gotcha now...thanks. When you bypassed the clutch, did you use a relay that was maybe activated by the remote starter?
lophix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2003 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

yeah you have to use a relay otherwise you'll lose the cruise control function. btw, pm me your email address so i can send you that stuff we spoke about. also what harness did you need? all of them? if they are identical to the ones in the 150esp installation manual, let me know in the pm :)

xmfan
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic