real Compustar 2WSS-AS opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
b_lum81 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
dj_chiro wrote:

1 other thing; does the transmitter fit nicely in your pocket?  I see the belt clip comes with it and I really dont want to be wearing this thing everywhere I go...  I would much rather just keep it on my keychain like the factory remote locks...

Well it turns out that a wire going to my dual stage shock sensor wasn't secure so once i secured it everything is working perfectly now.

There is a belt clip that comes with it but i dun actually use the clip, and there is a keychain attached to the alarm.  The only thing really to worry about is breaking the antenna on the pager... other than that, i'm 110% impressed with it :-)

tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

FYI on the Compustar. These guys are talking about  the FM (frequency modulated) Compustar alarm. You asked about the SS (Spread Spectrum). The SS will be about about double the range as the FM systems in those Compustars, and the Autopage. The compustar does have the "knock here to page owner" sensor, but no interior thermometer. The new versions are upgradeable to 6 or 7 outputs with an expansion module. The remote is big and sometimes people ask me if it's a phone, but I'm so used to the range I wouldn't give it up.

bzzzzttttt
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

If I were you I would't buy the Spread spectrum Compustar, because for one, the remote is huge and two they still haven't figured the fact that the receiver has problems because they try to achieve such a long range  (I tested it from 10 blocks away) that you MIGHT (or not) get locked out once in a while while trying to disarm the system when you are real close to the car ( I don't know why this happens but it does once in a while) The Autopage 850's remotes are smaller than compustar and like the guy was sayint they give you extra stuff like inside temperature monitoring, and paging system, time, alarm clock, timer for the remote start etc..also if your car's locks aren't negative triggers you need to add relays. If it's positive or negative Autopage works with both, unless is a reverse polarity. There are good things about the compustar (except for the SS)  I'm not saying is a bad alarm, but I've had both installed in my cars and I definitely prefer Autopage. They're both quality equipment but Autopage is more expandable I think. Also the Autopage remotes last longer, twice I had to replace the compustars. ( I drop them a lot) good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

dj_chiro 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info guys this site really is helping me decide. 

I've thought about it and really the 2 systems are just about the same...When you compare the features of the 2 systems (Autpopage 850 & Compustar 2WSS-AS) aside from the temp. sensor on the Autopage (which I don't really need), these systems are just about identical.  Which brings me to my 2 priorities...RANGE and TRANSMITTER SIZE..  The compustar SS has killer range but the remote is a little big....  The Autopage has less range but the remote is smaller & you get 2 remotes...  Hmmmm  Damn it always has to be a tough decision! :)

I really want the range of the compustar but I HATE carrying things with me wherever I go... I have a small cell phone and carry a money clip thats it... If any of yuo guys can take a picture of the SS remote in your hand so I can get a better perception of the size I would really appreciate it.  I've searched around (Compustar, ebay, google) for a different picture but cant find any... 

Again, I really dont need all the extra channels and expandability I just want good range and a quality.  Bot the systems have the features I MUST have.

civicboy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
dj_chiro wrote:

floaterr wrote:
Mu $.02
The Autopages seems to be pretty much the same alarm but at a much better price ($100) less the last time I looked. The autopage has a temp sensor for inside the car and a "knock sensor" (mounts to the inside of the windshield) to page the driver/owner. BTW this has to be turned on each arming cycle incase your wondering. Also with the 850 you get 4 output for windows,trunk etc.. (3 of which are programmable for timer/latched/momentary) The 750 has only trunk pop. The compustar has 2 outputs.
Right now the autopage 850 is going for about $180 and the compustar goes for $270. The 850 also moved up to a shock and glass break sensor.

If I am understanding this correctly doesn't the Compustar system comes with all the equipment I need to do doors, starter, trunk pop...  I dont need to buy any additional modules, correct?  I really dont really need 6 channels.  The price of the Autopage looks good but the remote looks bigger than the Compustar... And the range of the Compustar seems to be better.  Although I do like the extra remote with the Autopage, I still think the Compustar is the right choice for me...

I paid $750 for my 2WSS-AS alarm.  $700 for the alarm and installation plus $50 for bypassing a switch for my manual transmission so my car could autostart.

I had to get a power/electric trunk release kit so I could use my remote to pop open my trunk.  Cost  = $10 plus $100 for install and wire hookup so my remote could release it.

Finally, my two auxiliary buttons aren't programmed.  I could get additional modules added so I can get the windows to roll up and down, but that means more $$$.  I'll just leave it for now since maybe I can program it for something else in the future.

I've had the alarm for about a month now and I'm very satisfied with it.  I should've done some research first before I got this alarm.  I could have bought the alarm off Ebay for $270 and have a local shop install it for about $300.  I would of saved over $180.

elrayodesinaloa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

One last thing, if you're using the SS remote, compustar recommends not to carry it along with your keys, or add a metal chain to the remote  because any metal affects its opperation , that's why they give you the belt clip. just so you know.

Our prices down here are around $550 for a compustar and $500 for the Autopage installed,plus $60 whatever extra accessories you desire.

12voltassassin 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
in my  experience the system ive feel into after playin with all of these is the ULTRA START 4500 excellent true range and plenty of channels 5 to be exact its a flip style pager.  4000 feet of range and lifetime like all systems should be waranted.its canadien and its f**king quality one of the nicest systems ive had the pleasure of installing. peace everyone
i hate ebay they are stealing my business
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

That's pretty good range, but I don't know about the remote, it looks pretty funky and why do you need a flip cover? I wonder how big it is.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic