icon

Poll...How many of you

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
i personally dont even know how to measure the TS parameters.
Quad L Handyman services
CBates 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2003 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ask and ye shall receive........ Click Me!
AudioAdrenaline 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

cbates,

Have you gone so far as to build a box based on the manufacturer's specs, and tested it head to head with a box built around your measurements?  What was the differences noticed?  What subs have you tested that were severely off? 

CBates 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
I have compared several boxes over the years. Some are pretty much right on, and some have more noticable differences that can range from slight increase in bass response to "night and day" differences in spl and sound clarity. The biggest differences in TS parameters come from the less expensive, to mid-line drivers. But nearly all have some differences over the manufacturers specs. As we all know, the difference between a good sounding box and a great sounding box in some cases is no more than 1" in any one direction. The major benefit of measuring your own parameters is that it almost completely does away with the need to build several boxes in order to find the one that works best. Pick a couple subs at random and try it out, you may be surprised at what you find. If nothing else, this method will make it possible to build boxes for those occasional subs that you cannot find specs for. I think this is just one of the many techniques that makes good installers even better. After all, you can never have too much knowledge, especially when it comes to installing.
AudioAdrenaline 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2003 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Cbates
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2003 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
I always measure the T/S. Most of the time, manufacturers specs are calculated so the enclosure will fit in an average trunk space.
You'd be suprised how deep one 10" driver can get using T/S Paremeters compared to a 15" driver mounted in a store bought enclosure.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
i like to build ported boxes only unless its for a customer who specifically requests sealed box for better SQ.  me. i am an SPL competitor and only listen to rap so i just want my bass to be stupid loud.  i usually will try the manufacturers specs for a slot-ported box and if i dont like the sound...i can always change the port length until i get the sound i like.
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
ususlly by the time i get around to building a box i have consumed too much beer to care, or cut straightPoll...How many of you - Page 2 -- posted image.
CBates 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
lol......
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.....
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic