1998 Toyota Sienna, Crimestopper 2011

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys....
I'll eventually be installing a Crimestopper 2011 alarm and remote starter into a friend's '98 Sienna. I haven't started yet...I'm just in the researching phase. I wanted to ask a few questions before I got started. Any hints would be great.
1. It already has an alarm (the remote says "Code Alarm"). She said it's an alarm (and not just KE) because she's heard the siren sound before. My question is: is this an aftermarket unit that I can probably just pull out, or is this the factory alarm? I doubt it's the factory because I think I've heard of Code Alarm before.
2. I've been reading the wiring diagrams on this site, as well as on Bulldog's site, and they mention the child locks. I'm a bit confused by this, and I've also never done something with these locks before. I would just like ALL of the doors to lock and unlock with one push of the button. Do I have to get around the child locks?
3. Are there any domelight issues I should know about? Such as the alarm tripping when you arm the car because the domelight is still lit?
4. I guess there's no "transponder" key for this car...but there's no other surprises that I need to know, right?
THANKS!
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Here's how to get around the Child Safety Locks:
1998 Toyota Sienna, Crimestopper 2011 -- posted image.
Code Alarm is an aftermarket brand, so yes you can just pull it out and install your new equipment, No there's no need for a trasmod on this year/model...
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
never mind any of that..... if you want a reliable wire to tap into for your unlock do the following..... looking up from underneath the dash, towards the drivers side of the steering wheel column, you'll see an orange molex with about.....15 wires.  Amongst these wires you'll find LOCK - blue/white  UNLOCK - blue / YELLOW(should be located next to eachother) DOOR TRIGGER/INCLUDING REAR HATCH - RED / white..... running next to this loom eminating from the orange molex is the PK LTS - green  HORN - GREEN/ blck
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
What the heck does that have do with the child safety feature on this vehicle if it's engaged?
For Toyota child safety, you must use a relay, or u can try to bypass it with diodes but sometimes diodes aren't enough...Trust me.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
1. Code-Alarm is a popular (and pretty good) aftermarket brand. If you're installing a combination remote starter/alarm unit, simply remove the old one.
Also, use the old alarm as a guide, and take notes while you're removing it. As long as it's been installed properly, someone else has already found door trigger, parking lights, ignition/starter wiring, and locks for you.
2. These so-called "child safety locks" are not so complex as they seem. All these diagrams with relays, diodes, and so forth are entirely unnecessary, and are a complete waste of time. Trust me, I do car alarm installs for three huge Toyota dealers, and I've researched the cars pretty thoroughly.
In this post here, I have detailed how the Toyota doorlocks work, in case you are curious.
But the bottom line is that if you connect to the correct lock/unlock wires in the car, they'll work 100% of the time with no fancy wiring required.
The wires you want to use will test as a ground when you turn the key in the door, NOT when operating the lock switch on the door panel. The colors are:
Lock: blue/white---in either kick panel, or in a thick harness to the left of the fuse box. Tests off either door key cylinder.
All doors unlock: blue / YELLOW---passenger kick panel, but may also be able to find it near the driver's fuse box. This will test only off the passenger key cylinder.
Two-step (maybe) unlock: This wire is blue, found in the driver's kick or in the harness to the left of the fuse box. It will test off the driver's door key cylinder.
This wire may perform in one of two ways, depending on how the van was built, and depending on whether it was equipped with factory keyless entry.
---A. One pulse unlocks driver's door only; second pulse unlocks all doors.
---B. One pulse does absolutely nothing; second pulse unlocks all doors.
If you turn the driver's door key REALLY slowly to the unlock position, watch closely to see if the driver's door jumps open electrically. If it does...and if your friend wants two-step unlock...and if your alarm supports it, then great. If none of the above applies, use the blue / YELLOW instead.
3. Some alarms are fussier than others about this. The alarm won't exactly false...but some alarms do send out reminder chirps to tell you you've left the domelight on, and it can get annoying. Try the RED / white coming out of the fuse box and see how it goes. If necessary, I can tell you where to get a door trigger source that beats all the domelight delay.
4. No, no transponder. I've done a whole bunch of Siennas, so I'll try to throw a few tips:
---For the brake wire, the brake switch itself isn't that easy to access. But you can get the GREEN / WHITE in one of the plugs at the fusebox, or in the driver's kick panel running to the rear of the car.
---For remote start, the BLACK / YELLOW and BLACK/ red ignition wires allow the engine to run and the climate controls to work. The blue accessory wire only serves to operate the radio, power mirrors, and so forth. I prefer that the radio remain off during remote start, so I leave the blue unpowered, but it is up to you.
---There is a source for tach INSIDE the car, which is better. It's easy to do, but hard for me to describe. But I will try.
   Above the driver's left foot, you'll see a thick wire harness, wrapped in black electrical tape, coming in from the engine compartment. Now feel with your hand....there is another 1/2" thick harness, wrapped in gray foam tape, that is going upward from the big harness. Pull it down and unwrap the tape.
     There are two light GREEN/ black wires in there; one of those is tach. There's also a RED / white door trigger wire in there that beats the delay. (By the way, this is the harness that goes up to the instrument cluster. You can remove the cluster for easier access, but it takes longer that way.)
---It's a little tricky to get wires underhood on that van. Just carefully note how the old system was done; maybe use the old wiring as a snake to pull your new stuff through.
---After you take the plastic dash down, you'll notice that the metal knee bolster behind it has a lot of sharp edges. If your wiring will be against or near the bolster, tape up the edges, or slip a little bit of plastic split loom over them, so your wires won't get chafed.
---Toyota dash panels are absurdly prone to getting gouged up. Be careful about throwing them around, banging tools against them, etcetera.
---You will have to disconnect and then reconnect the hood latch cable; it's not hard, but it can be frustrating if you haven't done it before. I do it in this order:
1. Pull hood release lever so it's up and out of your way.
2. Remove two screws you see there.
3. Remove rest of dash as usual.
4. From the backside, you'll see that the whole thing has a sort of U-shaped clip at the top; push the clip so the whole mechanism falls out the other side, with the cable still attached.
5. Now, again go to the side of the dash that the driver can see, and get the hood thing in your hand.
6. You'll see that the cable has a plastic sleeve, and it slips into the metal frame of the release mechanism....slide it away from where it sits.
7. Now the cable slips out of the handle with no effort, and you can put the dash panel out of the way.
Installation is the reverse.....just don't forget to push the cable out through the hole BEFORE you screw the dash into place, or you'll have to do it over.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2003 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Youngblood, padawan, and Chris, thank you SO much for your replies. I was so shocked to come back and find these posts....it really helps me a lot before I get started.
Yea, I guess my best bet is to pull the old alarm, but find out where it's connected first...then if that alarm worked fine, then I can hook it up in a similar fashion. Yea, she'd like to just have the unlock for all doors at one push (no progressive stuff).
So it sounds like I can get past the child locks, if I just find the correct wires. Just out of curiosity (since I've never had to work with Child locks before), if I didn't find the right wire....all that would happen would be that not all of the doors would open, correct? :-)
I'm excited that the tach is accessible in the car, I hate dragging that wire through the firewall. Hopefully there's already a wire going through for the siren, so I won't have to do that one either. :-)
I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually do this, but I like to know as much as possible before I start. I really appreciate all the help and hints! THANKS AGAIN!
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Chris,
With respect to #3, can you tell me where the other door trigger wire is that will beat the domelight delay?
And by the way, have you installed a Crimestopper 2011? I've heard it's decent. It's got the remote start built in, and there's no satellite of relays...the remote start part is built into the brain of the alarm.
Thanks!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Did you read the part I wrote about tach? Door trigger is in there; it's RED / white. There's also a WHITE/ red in there that is something else, so you'll have to look carefully.
I don't have much experience with Crimestopper, but I've seen a few. I haven't heard any complaints about them. I, too, prefer a unit with the relays built in. Saves a good bit of install time.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=Chris Luongo] Did you read the part I wrote about tach?QUOTE]
Oops, I read right over it. 1998 Toyota Sienna, Crimestopper 2011 -- posted image.
Thanks for all of your help.
12voltassassin 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
listen if you are trying to install this in your vehicle and youve never done a remote start install. DONT DO IT GO TO A PROFESSIONAL lol
i hate ebay they are stealing my business
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic