icon

Putting a Remote Start on a Manual

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steveo_supremo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know about other brands, but there is no neutral switch on any GM manual transmission that i have ever seen, and i work on them every day. The only switch they have is the back up light switch that closes when you put the trans in reverse. 
lophix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

well i'm not too sure about that...in my gf's camaro (5spd) the wire is obviously there (ORANGE / black) but i havent tested it yet to see if it is actually connected. I dont see any reason why they wouldn't put it on manual cars though....just doesnt make any sense why they wouldnt. :gotme:

xmfan
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

Since you've had it in so long, I guess you really haven't had any problems with it, right? What happens (sort of like you said) if you leave the car in gear, but still have the e-brake pulled, and you remotely start the car? Isn't that pretty bad? (I'm new to manuals, so I'm learning :-)

Thanks.

if you leave it in gear, pray the e-brake is in good shape and is pulled all the way up.  even then the engine will still drag the ass end.  its not enough to kepp the car still but it wont fly off to the car in front of you or anything.  if the break is barely engaged and you launch, its just like dropping the clutch.  if you parked and left the car in 2nd or higher it will die faster but 1st and R will move a lot.  most remote starters will attempt to engage 3 times before they shut off so be ready to hit the button again or push the brake pedal.  to this day, when i start it i keep my thumb on the start button incase i see it move.  i rarely start it with out the car in my sight.  sometimes its easy to forget if you just whipped into a parking spot and ran in somewhere.

im not sure why but i have the (-) remote start activation input hooked up to the clutch switch.  atleast i think thats the wire i saw there... but i cant remember why.  im gonna take it all down this weeken and remount it, ive gotten alot better since i started.  theres a 555L, 451M, shock sensor, relay pack, 3 more realys, and the brain all up there.  its nasty looking.

Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

cpgoose wrote:
Since you've had it in so long, I guess you really haven't had any problems with it, right? What happens (sort of like you said) if you leave the car in gear, but still have the e-brake pulled, and you remotely start the car? Isn't that pretty bad? (I'm new to manuals, so I'm learning :-)
Thanks.

if you leave it in gear, pray the e-brake is in good shape and is pulled all the way up.  even then the engine will still drag the ass end.  its not enough to kepp the car still but it wont fly off to the car in front of you or anything.  if the break is barely engaged and you launch, its just like dropping the clutch.  if you parked and left the car in 2nd or higher it will die faster but 1st and R will move a lot.  most remote starters will attempt to engage 3 times before they shut off so be ready to hit the button again or push the brake pedal.  to this day, when i start it i keep my thumb on the start button incase i see it move.  i rarely start it with out the car in my sight.  sometimes its easy to forget if you just whipped into a parking spot and ran in somewhere.

im not sure why but i have the (-) remote start activation input hooked up to the clutch switch.  atleast i think thats the wire i saw there... but i cant remember why.  im gonna take it all down this weeken and remount it, ive gotten alot better since i started.  theres a 555L, 451M, shock sensor, relay pack, 3 more realys, and the brain all up there.  its nasty looking.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
I think the remote start activiation input is an optional wire that can be hooked up to an added switch or something....I think it makes it easier to get into and out of the "pit stop" feature of the remote starter.
Hmmm....how did my post get deleted, and your post went under my name? Strange things are goin' down.
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
Steveo_supremo 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

Quote:

in my gf's camaro (5spd) the wire is obviously there (ORANGE / black)

The wire is obviosly where? Does it run to a switch on the side of the transmission that is only closed when it is in neutral? I seriously doubt it.

Quote:

I dont see any reason why they wouldn't put it on manual cars though....just doesnt make any sense why they wouldnt.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Why would the auto manufacturer spend the money to put a neutral switch on the transmission when they don't need to because they use a clutch safety switch instead. If it did have a neutral safety switch, you would have to have it in neutral to start it with the key. The only safe way to put remote start in a manual trans vehicle is to use a system made for a manual where you have to leave it running in neutral, set the e-brake, get out, shut the door and then turn the car off with the remote, or else it won't start with the remote.

rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

One of the reasons why some installers WILL NOT put the RS in your MT vehicle:

Dude, I told you NOT to leave it in gear when remote starting it....

Putting a Remote Start on a Manual - Page 2 -- posted image.

Liability

lophix 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

umm...the question is not why installers will not put an rs your car...that is a forgone conclusion and what i am stating is that since some vehicles have neutral safety, it will be of no more a problem than installing one in an automatic as long as the neutral safety wire is used.  MOST Installers refuse to recognize this and close their minds to ALL manual vehicles (just like our buddy above who went to all the trouble of finding a crashed and burning car to stress his point.) I initially had my rs installed on my car at bestbuy in houston and they did it when i pointed out that my car had the neutral safety. I still am yet to leave my car in gear and r/s it.

Obviously, there are risks where electronics are involved "both with manuals AND autos". So putting all manuals in the same boat and refusing to install in all even after the customer offers to sign a full responsibility waiver STILL does not carry much weight with me. I have a manual, WITH a remote start WHICH uses the neutral safety wire provided AND it does not start in gear. That's me along with a whole lot of other manual transmission nissan owners. My suggestion to manual owners? Research your vehicle and see if you have a neutral safety wire. If you do, use it. If you don't have one, well the rest is up to you. There are thousands of unorthodox methods out there that can be used but you have to do it yourself. Entrusting that to someone else is more of a risk to you than to them Thank goodness I reinstalled my stuff myself.

xmfan
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic