icon

Justifying The Cost Of An Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vman 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

I'm sure I'm not alone in this: My girlfriend thinks I have lost my mind and that the money I'm spending on my install would be much better spent on jewelry.  You guys do this for a living, and I need some ammo. What could I expect to pay to have a 4 guage, three amp install to three pair of speakers and a sub. The car is a '91 Volvo 740 Wagon. I'm doing it right, with a cap and fuse/ground blocks and good quality wire. I need the cost of installation only. I'm thinking that if I can show her how much I'm saving by doing the job myself, I may get off the couch by years end....................

noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

are the speakers already installed????

where are the amps going??

any custom enclosures needed??? (amps, sub, cap???)

do they need to install the wire themselves or is there some in the car already?

We need all that info to give a ballpark price, any labor involved in tearing apart a dash, or rear deck will cost extra.....wiring under the carpet will cost extra depending on labor involved by lifting up the carpet......and custom enclosures will cost you up the ass if you dont do them yourself.....

and tell her that jewelry isnt a better spend, because you only get to look at jewelry.......with car audio, not only can you pop your trunk and get all your friends to drool, you can actually turn on the stereo and "wow" them twice as much......you win by the rule of senses (sight and sound...and touch i guess too)

vman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe a little less in the touch department....... Amps are going under the rear seat and all wiring needs to be installed. I am replacing all the speakers, but the holes are already in place, so no cutting involved. I plan on a straight forward mount to plywood situation for all the bolted down components (amps, cap and distribution blocks). The dash intrusion will  be minimal. I hope that clears some of the fog????
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

at my shop, (canada) we charge $59.95 per pair of speakers so theres $180.00.

Plus the amps would be $69,95 first amp, 29.95 2nd and 3rd..$130.00

sub is included with amp install.

and for all the extra accessories, prolly about another 59.95

total cost around $400.  then you will need to add the wire costs and such.

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

59.95 for a pair of door speakers...damn thats ridiculous!!! no offense to your shop, but thats high price for a set of door speakers.   we charge 20 per set, 35 for the head unit, 25 for the cap, 50 for each amp.  any miscellanious cutting and stuff like difficulty to pick up carpet, removing seats and stuff...maybe an extra 30-40

so far your lookin at  about 300 for the labor 

now this does not include what we would charge for the box.  if you want a custom box.....it really depends on HOW custom you want it.  custom work is not easy, so it is very high price

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

$400 Canadian - $306 US, so you are both about the same cost.

FYI, I don't charge per the job, but a shop rate charge of $75 (US) per hour.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Here is another one, this guy named Rob bought whatever the salerperson told him was top of the line or was top of the line in the catalogs. He was the most gullible customer ever. He would buy something avery week just because, and like you he didn't always want to pay for the install. After a while of buying all the wrong equipment and paying to have it all installed (instead of breaking it), he began to educate himself on his purchases and ultimately knew more than the salesperson. He ended up training himself to install equipment properly and his friends began to ask him for his help. Now 16 years later he owns 2 stores, sells the customer what he needs to do things right, explains to the customer what happens if shortcuts or compromises are taken and proves to the customer why it should and must be installed by a dealer. If I had someone like this when I was the gullible customer, I would have saved $15000.00 cdn in a two year period and that my friend would have bought a whole pile of jewellery to keep her happy.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
vman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Sage advice Rob. However, you now have knowlege and that is more valuable than anything. Thank you all for your help, and count on me leaning on you as more of my newbie questions evolve.  VM 
l7sdime 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Alright here is a very extreme install i plan on getting it in about 6 months and i need to know how much this install might cost. im talking everything to the last detail. ex: caps wires battery's box building everything. oh and plus alternator too. Ok i plan on buying two solox's off of ebay and installing them in my s-10 x cab. Only one problem there isnt enough room in the cab so i want to make the box about 22 cu ft and put it in the bed and port the box into the truck. The box will be 1.5 inch mdf with fiberglass resin on the inside walls. Then a hole will be cut into the truck from the bed to the inside of the cab. i am going to tune it to about 35hz. I have one 5000 watt amp and i am probably gonna need about 3 yellow tops a 200 amp alternator a 5 farad capacitor. There is nothin really special about the box it will be square and just covered in luis vuitton fabric. but here is where to cool part comes in. I want to take 1.5 inch plexiglass and screw it into the bed so it is flush witht the top of the bed. and im gonna put a strobe light in there with maybe 2 neons.there is already a good head unit and all the wires need to be run. Any help is good.

Thanks Wes

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2003 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Vman- I have installed all my stereo stuff,Amp,sub,head unit, and all 4 speakers, including a full fiberglass box in my trunk. It is not to bad i would suggest atleast trying it. Go to crutchfield.com and order an install booklet for your car, it helps A ALOT
hope that helps
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic