icon

Remote Start keeps cranking engine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Burner_00 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

I've only installed a remote start on one car before and that was rather simple.  now I'm trying to install this cheap as hell remote start on my GF car, 87 grand am,  for christmas (will be moved to a 2003 malibu in Feb.)  my prob is that her key ignation has only 3 settings, OFF, ON(RUN), Start.  The instruction which are no help says i need to connect to one wire to start, one to On, and one to ACC.  But there is no ACC, I belive it is that setting when you put your key in and bring it down apose to up.  plus there is a wire that feeds back to the control box which is an input but i'm not sure why and have no idea where i should put either of the two wires.  The thing that worries me the most right now is that fact that i have no idea how the unit tells if the car has started.  It says if the car fails to start it will try to restart and add .5 sec to start time.  can anyone out here help me? PLEASE Remote Start keeps cranking engine -- posted image. 

so confused and this is what i have to deal with:

An actuall line from a Car Alarm User's Guide:

"If anywhere of the car body is hit or beaten, the alarm would beep to horrify, to make more safety for your car."

Me good english so american no get alarm to saftety there car!

Remote Start keeps cranking engine -- posted image.

Burner_00 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I posted a message before about a grage-8 remote and ACC line.  well i gust didn't connect it and it started, the problem is that now after it starts it trys to restart so i thing maybe that ACC in line may be a way to tell the unit to stop strying to start, its started sucessfully.  anyone have a clue if that makes sense?

If so, what on a car is only active or high at 12V after the car has started?  exp. spark plugs, but to much voltage.

Any ideas!?!?!?!!?  ThANKS!

Sir_sol 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
12 volts = red
ignition = pink
accessory = orange
starter = yellow
all large guage wires at the ignition switch
make sure your tach wire is right, and check hood pin
Burner_00 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
is tach wire 12v?
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Tach should read between 1 and 6 volts AC, not DC. You will need a Digital multimeter to read it.
Tach should be PURPLE / white at the distributor. You can also use a unique colored wire at one of the injectors. There are two wires at each injector, one of these wires is the same color at each injector, so use any one of the unique colored wires.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
yodo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Hey burner.

I've got the garage 8 aswell.

I've almost finished the install apart from the extra relay and a wire. This would be the reason why the imobiliser  and remote start fetures dont work.

How did you hook up that extra relay? Which wires go to each of the terminals on the relay?

Where did you hook up the accessories off port wire to?

I'd appreciate any help from you or anybody who has had experience with this alram system.

Yodo

Burner_00 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hey J Rilla,

thanks for the help.  Wouldn't an 1987 car stil have a cable going to the tach?  I have a DMM so its no prob.  for the fuel injectors it that just a 12volt signal? and once that is high will it stay at 12volt (after engin has started)?

Yodo,

I did nothing with that extra relay and it started up but wouldn't stop cranking. i was thinking that was maybe for an extra feature that isn't highlighted in that POS user manual or do think that is related to the starting?

yodo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks burner.

My car used to do what your car does by keep on cranking. The feature stopped working as soon as i tried to hook up that relay. Does your shut down when you switch it to panic mode?

Mine doesnt coz i figure that with the relay needs to wired in so it can be switched when triggered so it some how imobilises the ingition sytem so the car shuts down and can not be started with out the alarm being deactivated. 

Is there anybody on this board who has succesfully installed a Garage 8 alarm and could help shed light on the matter?

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
was the brain ever programmed to crank a different duration?  some units retain memory.  just another input thats all.
Burner_00 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

yodo - how and where did that relay need to be installed to?  and what is its purpose, just to be able to deactivate the starter?

sroth - its set up to crank for Xsec and if it has not started it goes Xsec + .5sec for up to 6 times

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic