icon

jl w6v2 or jlw7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JeepnAudiophile 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse Titanium... I've heard and installed both this week... the titanium will take the w7 in reproducing the sound with clarity, and BARELY falls behind it in SPL (unnoticeable to the normal person) and the clarity iw WELL worth it.
FieroAudio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

You could also look for a local Resonant Engineering dealer (or the closest one)...

Do the research: www.respl.com

Spend less money, get more output - more SPL, more SQ ... depends on what you want :)

Blaine Korte
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE - Custom Time!
Pioneer DEH-P3500, JL 10W0, Memphis 250D, Sony 125.2, Excursion 6.5" Mids, Custom Kicks, Custom sub box. You try putting a loud stereo into a Fiero!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

trini wrote:
i say neither cuz pioneer has a better sub

I disagree.

trini wrote:
i tink it pushes out more watts

Speakers don't "push out watts".  Although Pioneer doesn't list any specs on the sub, I'm willing to bet that the W7 has more linear throw and more Sd.  So I'm willing to bet it can get louder, especially in a daily driving aspect.

trini wrote:
 and it has larger voice coil i tink around 3 inches,

That's not necessarily a benifit.  Larger coils increase inductance.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
steven i just wanted to know if you have seen or heard the new pioneer premeirs? they are pretty damn close to the W7 i think
Quad L Handyman services
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

By design the W7 has a much more linear motor.  This means that it will produce less distortion at any output level.  Add to it the progressive spider instead of the dual spiders, and you get a sub that stays much more linear throughout it's throw. 

What I have heard is that the Titanium doesn't work well in sealed enclosures, and doesn't have much low frequency extention. 

The Eclipse sub is nice, but I don't think it is quite as nice as the W7. 

Steven Kephart 
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ketel22 wrote:
steven i just wanted to know if you have seen or heard the new pioneer premeirs? they are pretty damn close to the W7 i think

Unfortunately I have to go based on what I have heard since Pioneer doesn't give much info.  But the W7 has a very innovative motor design that I can only think of one other company being able to match.

Maybe I'm too much of an SQ guy, but I think the W7 is the best SQL sub on the market.  Sure it is expensive, but the price comes from those things that put it on top IMO.  The Pioneer sub is marketed as an SPL sub, so it may be able to "fart" louder.  But in a daily driver install, I'm pretty sure the W7 will be louder, and have much better SQ doing it.

geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

I'm concerned about what power is available...

What is the total RMS that can be had from that Kicker amp, and at what impedance?  Fill me in, I'm not familiar with it.
Two W7's will be a 1.5 ohm load (aka. unfriendly on a 2 ohm stable amp).
Two W6V2's will be either a 4 ohm or a 1 ohm load. (aka. a/b amp bridged, or 1 ohm stable D amp needed).

Anyway, assuming we've got the power to drive them (or alternatively have an sufficiently - and efficientlyjl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 2 -- posted image. - large / tuned enclosure)...

As far as total output goes, it'll come down to Sd and Xmax.

My suspicion is that the 10" and 12" W7's will easily outdisplace the 10" and 12" W6V2's.

From a sound quality standpoint - also superior (maybe more importantly, superior at all excursion levels), as the W7 has a much longer motor.

It's not perfect either, as the DUMAX for the W7 revealed some rearward anomolies, an asymmetrical BL curve, most likely caused by stray magnetics inside the motor, as this anomoly was only apparent in rearward travel.

The W7's not cheap, you might argue not worth the money (when subs like the Brahma, offering the same linear displacement - only sacrificing in terms of Xsus with respect to the W7 - exist), but you can't argue that they shouldn't cost that much.

The W7 has so many patents and custom parts, it's honestly surprising they can sell them as inexpensively as they do.  That's not to say its' a good value.

geolemon 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

Also, the Eclipse Ti is honestly more of an SPL sub than an SQ sub...

High efficiency, wonderful basket and excursion capability... but a more SPL oriented TC-sounds motor.  Big output.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Geo, do you know if the W6 uses the same nifty "cooling" technique (that just so happens to reduce stray flux) as the W7?

Also, what DUMAX report were you refering to, the 10W7?  Are you sure that anomoly wasn't caused by noise in the testing room?  After all it looks to be rather minor.  In fact it sorta helps in that BL stays up there a little longer.

geolemon 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

BL is reduced on the rearward stroke...

Stray magnetics were the cause, as a certain DUMAX engineer and loudspeaker designer reported... jl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Had the same issue with Elemental's A's, even on the production units.
They implemented a copper shielding inside the magnet rings, which fully eliminated it.

If you look at the W7's DUMAX plot, you'll see it's got a nice, flat BL curve.. on the forward stroke... where the coil is essentially travelling outside of the magnetic circuit loop.

On the rearward stroke however, it looks more parabolic... the BL rolls off.

And I'm definitely not surprised at the cooling technique sharing... they tried to engineer in a few W7-originated tricks into the W6V2.

However.. why do you think this would affect the magnetic flux fields? jl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic