the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

jl w6v2 or jlw7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

Well here's the DUMAX report posted on Adire's site, and the one I was commenting on:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAX/JL-10W7.pdf

So the W6 is basically a stripped down, more affordable W7?  So the BL curve will be flat as well?

Dan Wiggins explained that although JL explains that the holes are there for cooling, they actually reduce stray flux.  By putting the holes there, it reduces the surface area, steering the flux into the gap where they want it.  But this doesn't reduce the amount of material in the pole piece by too much, so saturation isn't a problem.  Without those holes, the BL curve would be just as parabolic as any other overhung motor.

How did you think they got the flat curve?

geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Oh no, that 10W7 curve is very flat.  That's a flattering curve.

And I take it you mean the cooling vents that are... not the ones shown in JL's cutaway in their promotional material? jl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Dan was actually describing them to me when he visited my hotel at SEMA this year, but damn if we didnt' stay up until almost 2am... It's not the vents per-se that are having an effect on the flux.. directly.

But I roughly know what you speak of.

My comment was more with regard to the outside, excursion extremes, than to the center of the BL curve that you speak of...

As the coil travels into the motor, apparently the stray magnetics did affect the motor more on the 12W7 or 13W7 (I can't find my reports here).
With such a long coil, you'd expect more inductance, and more vulnerability to those magnetic fields. jl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

Dan's a great guy, and fun to hang out with.  I'm not surprised you stayed up so late.

So could you elaborate on what does effect the flux in the W7?

And there are ways to reduce the inductance.  For one thing, don't they only use 2 layer voice coils?  That cuts it in half.

Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
hey if you have the space and you want serious output try the jl12w7 in one of their "high output boxes. it is one the most impressive sub systems i have ever heard. By the way although I  agree about the pionner statement, have you ever listend to the tsw1200, yellow aramid cone sub from pioneer ? THis thing is actually killer. more of a sq sub though.
Steve@A.E.S
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Have you considered the 13w7 by JL's specs this sub actually has more sq than the comps 15's 3 of these would blow out your windows with a 3" total xmas the only thing comparable is eclipse titaninum 15 it has alittle more xmas than jl 13 i believe at around 3.5" trust rob@forbidden he has helped me in so many ways the down side of the eclipse titanium's they need twice as much box to be effective than the JL 13w7.
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1
Steven Kephart 
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just a quick FYI, Eclipse lies about their excursion on that sub.  It can only do like 22mm linear one way.  If you want to look at Xmech numbers, the W7 will stomp it at almost 4" peak to peak.
JL3GEclipse 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

i have sold both eclipse and JL. I have had the chance to hear demo vehicles of both and I have to say that the titaniums lacked the transient response that i heard in the w7.  And yes Eclipse is very "enthusiastic" about their numbers, in a training they told us that their decks put out 40watts rms!! 

On a side note, xmax numbers mean very little in reality because your car may be able to get up to 180mph but it is the 0-60 that really matters in SQ terms.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
JL3GEclipse wrote:

On a side note, xmax numbers mean very little in reality because your car may be able to get up to 180mph but it is the 0-60 that really matters in SQ terms.

Very good point.  But you will find that the better SQ subs will have larger excursions.  This is because at lower excursions, the woofer will stay more linear.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your Eclipse rep needs a brain transplant dude, 40w rms hahahahahaha cough cough sputter.. As an Eclipse dealer for 7 years if I ever heard a rep tell my salesstaff this pile of crap, I would toss him on the spot and not allow him to return until he knew more than my salespeople.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Bashing Eclipse???? I think this topic is fixing to get very ugly!!! jl w6v2  or jlw7? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic