icon

Tachometer wire, phoenix digital PD175?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
UncleJohnzy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

Have anyone try phoenix digital PD175? it doesn't support the tachometer wire, or the manual is not clearly stated which.  However, instead, it gives a wire saying to connect it to oil sensor or oil signal on the dashboard..."never heard of that". this wire should read 12v when engine sucessfully started.  hmm, I wonder if this is the tach wire they meant.

Also, it doesn't say how to program for tachless mode, nor run time. my guess is the unit doesn't support it. Please help if you have info on this/

HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

tach signal is AC and I've never seen it much past 3 or 4 volts, never even close to 12.  I'm thinking this is an alternator field wire, that detects alternator output when engine is running.  How about installing a product that looks for a tach signal??

b

ossrom 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
in my opinion , cheaply designed, however just conect that wire to true ignition (ignition1). this alarm works great in diessel truks with no tahc signal but for gasoline cars is not so great, ther's no way to contral the crnk time on the alarm.
UncleJohnzy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx for the info, Ossrom, it's cheapy like you said, but it has nice lcd pager though.  Also, didn't come with the hood pin, do you know any substitude?... how to program its run time?...

What would be a good starter only with 2-way remote, and great range?... any recommend?..

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

lies lies...... why is it i'm the only one who seems to have figured out that all you need to do is hook the wire from the alarm that is supposed to go to the oil pressure sensor, instead to the alternator field wire.  on really old cars, the oil sensor would work fine - here's how the alarm determines if the engine is running: 

sensor wire reading low: engine not running (i.e. no oil pressure)

sensor wire reading high: engine running (oil pressure brings the sensor up off the ground, and so the wire reads high from the voltage either across the light bulb, or the oil pressure guage)

the solution is simple and actually works better than using the oil pressure sensor - especially on late model fords that the sensor is of a totally different type -- connect that wire to the field wire on the alternator instead.... engine not running, field wire reads low (i.e. alternator light on dash is lit) -- once engine starts, field wire reads high (and makes the light go out).  i don't know why the alarm manufacturer didn't figure out that, but they should have.  so should anyone else with basic vehicle electrical skills.

nguyen 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
I did installed PD-175 on Toyota Celica 2000, I find the oil sensor wire just next to oil filter. It show 12 volt when engine run and 0 volt when engine stop.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic